Top Shelf Aquatics

Candy Cane Coral question

cju84

Definitely not dead. Dead coral won't have anymore flesh. It looks mad, but not sick or anything. Give it some time and don't mess with it. Candy cane coral typically prefers lower flow areas though, so if it doesn't puff up the flow might be too much.

Thanks - It's only been about 10 days in the tank so I'll give it some more time.

Thanks - It's only been about 10 days in the tank so I'll give it some more time.

This thread is interesting and relevant. The first coral I bought 12 weeks ago is a candy cane coral. I have never seen tentacles on it and frankly didn't realize it had any. I think it puffs up a few millimeters each day but not significantly. It is growing a bunch of what look like tiny spike branches off of it. I still glows bright. But I didn't even realize it had tentacles. So I wonder what I am doing wrong. Knock on wood but everything I have bought is doing great to date although nothing is really duplicating (including zoas) over the past 12 weeks.

This thread is interesting and relevant. The first coral I bought 12 weeks ago is a candy cane coral. I have never seen tentacles on it and frankly didn't realize it had any. I think it puffs up a few millimeters each day but not significantly. It is growing a bunch of what look like tiny spike branches off of it. I still glows bright. But I didn't even realize it had tentacles. So I wonder what I am doing wrong. Knock on wood but everything I have bought is doing great to date although nothing is really duplicating (including zoas) over the past 12 weeks.

I wouldn't worry about not seeing the feeding tentacles. I have 3 different candy cane corals in my tank. I occasionally see the feeders out during the day. But mostly it's at night. My newest one, that I've had about a month, I've never seen them but it's growing. Yours are probably out when you are sleeping ;).

I wouldn't worry about not seeing the feeding tentacles. I have 3 different candy cane corals in my tank. I occasionally see the feeders out during the day. But mostly it's at night. My newest one, that I've had about a month, I've never seen them but it's growing. Yours are probably out when you are sleeping ;).

Does the small branching means its reproducing or is just a side benefit?

So the past few nights when my lights are still on, they were not out. I checked the tank this morning when the lights are off (they don't go on til 11am) and each head had tentacles about an inch long (much longer than I've ever seen) coming out of each head.

I will try to feed a TINY TINY amount before my next water change while these tentacles are very exposed and see if I noticed any change in the coral.

Good to hear about your other corals doing well. I know it's a loooooooong process but it sucks when you hear people's corals multiplying by the week.

Do you have a pic/thread of your setup?

I think the candy canes just 'see' the rest of your tank looking amazing and think 'yup, i'll just open right up!'

I think the candy canes just 'see' the rest of your tank looking amazing and think 'yup, i'll just open right up!'

That would be awesome but probably not :-) Thanks though. I will track your Candy Cane Experience.

Does the small branching means its reproducing or is just a side benefit?

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. Can you show a photo of the branches? When mine get new heads, it's from one splitting. The head will get really big and then split in the center. It's a gradual thing and not something that's overnight. That probably sounds confusing :lol:.

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. Can you show a photo of the branches? When mine get new heads, it's from one splitting. The head will get really big and then split in the center. It's a gradual thing and not something that's overnight. That probably sounds confusing :lol:.

Not trying to highjack this thread but considering we are talking about healthy candy cane corals, here is a picture of mine. See the small branching, that is the only growth that has developed since I bought it. It has a ton of these small twigs on it.

20141016_201015_zpsekb8zryv.jpg

Not trying to highjack this thread but considering we are talking about healthy candy cane corals, here is a picture of mine. See the small branching, that is the only growth that has developed since I bought it. It has a ton of these small twigs on it.

20141016_201015_zpsekb8zryv.jpg

Yeah, that's not a part of the coral but something else. It has a name but I don't feel like looking it up right now :lol:. I get those too.

Vermetid snails?

Vermetid snails?

Snails? How can it be snails? It is twiggy and growing out of the structure. I had to move it the other day and a few snapped off like twigs.

Snails? How can it be snails? It is twiggy and growing out of the structure. I had to move it the other day and a few snapped off like twigs.

Google image search them. It looks/sounds like they are vermetid snails. I've got some too. They are kind of annoying but don't seem to do harm.

I know, right? But there are snails/worms that live in tubes. Vermetid snails love situating themselves next to something that gets a lot of food traffic, then sending out mucus webs and pulling in dinner like on a net.

I know, right? But there are snails/worms that live in tubes. Vermetid snails love situating themselves next to something that gets a lot of food traffic, then sending out mucus webs and pulling in dinner like on a net.

Should I dump the trumpet coral? I have enough other things to worry about?

Should I dump the trumpet coral? I have enough other things to worry about?

What Toybuddha said. You should be able to just take the coral out of the tank and scrape off all the tubes (they'll try to hide in the bottom section, so make sure you get the whole thing), then put the coral back inside.

Finally noticing some growth on the Candy Canes! Look brighter and much plumper. I notice the top two left heads are growing over each other and plumping it pretty well.

Close up comparison (single candy cane shot when it was mad) vs Candy Cane (and whole tank) taken yesterday.

Yellow polyp pic taken yesterday as well.

post-85688-0-89227400-1413902001_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-82570400-1413902013_thumb.jpg

post-85688-0-58620000-1413902040_thumb.jpg

Archived