Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fragging Duncan?

jabeuy

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but the Aquaculture section didn't look like there was much activity lol.

So I've got some bryopsis on my Duncan's frag plug, and thought I'd take this chance to frag if I'm gonna remove the old plug anyway.

Is this duncan ready for fragging? I got it at about 8 heads, now it has about 16 or so.

If ready, any tips on where on the colony to frag?

O8JnAHPh.jpg

8IhexRdh.jpg

20EJTi3h.jpg

Thanks!

lilmatty5dimes

I usually grab a dremel with the biggest cut off wheel and cut in between the heads or a group of heads. Looks like you could get a few frags off that plug pretty easily.

Get some lugois and make sure you dip it after fragging it in case you damage any tissue.

The bottom picture where those 3 heads are looks like a pretty easy to frag.

Get some lugois and make sure you dip it after fragging it in case you damage any tissue.

The bottom picture where those 3 heads are looks like a pretty easy to frag.

I have some revive. Would that work as well?

A dremil will create a lot of heat so dip it in the saltwater every so often as you frag. Revive is more for pests than for infections.

Thanks for all the tips!

Carefully pour or rub peroxide on the bryopsis, rinse and return. Imo.

I'll try that if I find any more bryopsis. But for this duncan, I think I may as well try fragging it, since the smaller heads are getting smothered and not getting any light.

Finished fragging. Things got messy. Hopefully the new frags will survive, but I definitely unintentionally cut through some flesh on some heads :(

ygp1SjH.jpg

Gonna miss this guy:

v1SDnGW.jpg

lilmatty5dimes

those look pretty good. i've never dipped them in anything after(knock on wood) and they always made it. buy some high quality mysis shrimp and spot feed it every other day and it'll grow back in no time. let us know in a few days how its doing.

lilmatty5dimes

congrats. not so hard after you've done it a few times. lol keep feeding them mysis shrimp and in about 3 months do it all over again.

Archived