ReefCleaners.org

10 Gallon Nano - My Journey.

CosmicCanine

CosmicCanine

Hello everyone! Let me start by introducing myself :)

My name "HuskyBoy" But if you want you can call me Husky for short. I live in a small town known as "Brownville" in northern New York, Just an hour give or take from Syracuse NY. Im 17 and i love the ocean.

I have had nano reefs in the past, 3 years ago i had a 5 gallon...But it didnt last long, I had no clue what I was doing. 2 years ago I had a 10 gallon.... it looked pretty nice, all was going well, then the loss of money kicked in and I had no other choice but to sell it. LAST year i had a WONDERFUL, FLOURISHING 10 gallon reef...Until that is.. I bought a frag from petco that had FLATWORMS on it.... I dosed FWE many times over the period of a week. Hell I even triple dosed it! Them darn things never go away! They ended up killing everything in my system. I wasnt very happy.

IN THE NOW!

I am in the proces of starting a new ten gallon mixed nano reef. Join me from start to the very bitter end, as I battle through making this the best darn reef i've ever had. You will encounter many pictures along my journey, I will be sure to update you guys at least once a week. You may even see me going through hard times, battling algae and other pests. Stay tuned....This tank is starting this week!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CosmicCanine

Heres where my rock and such is located, I started off with 1 piece of live rock and around 5 pieces of dry rock. they have been sitting in here for about 3 weeks now. Everything in this tank will be relocated to the ten gallon, Including the 2 frags of zoas i have. :D

post-83142-0-55274700-1412716660_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-74672400-1412716661_thumb.jpg

Hey guys! Sorry its been a few days, been pretty busy... Well heres a photo of my set up. sorry i didnt take pictures of the process. I also added a Yellow tail damsel to aid in the cycling process! Hes very neat and hes a stunner to watch! Thanks for following guys! this is going to be a nice tank. A day or two after christmas my friend and I are going an hour or so away to a nice coral shop and im spending a hundred or two on corals! Thanks again!

My stats;

Aqualife 36 watt LED (modded. Cut in half and attatched into a square) (Running ten hours a day noon to 10)

Aqueon power filter 10 with nothing in it

SEIO 320 powerhead

Marineland 100 watt heater (set to 82)

The tank is a Tetra 10 gallon,

I have a walmart brand magfloat (im pretty anal about glass being really clean i swipe it like 4 times a day)

Sorry about the not so good camera quality, My ipad takes too high of a size photo and im not about to resize every single photo so that nanoreef will accept them so im using my Nikon on LOW settings.....

Im Going to be posting here alot more now that i can upload pictures easier. I wasnt posting because i was too lazy to resize them...

This tank is going to be mostly LPS....When i go to the store im going APE on Torches, hammers, frogspawns, acans and zoas....

Have Fun and Happy Reefing!!!!!!!!!!!

post-83142-0-74380700-1413249749_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-48009100-1413249752_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-10830800-1413249755_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-59473500-1413249757_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-44427700-1413249760_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-59032300-1413249763_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Long time no post! Im back! I just got back from the LFS and bought myself half of a CUC..

I bought 1 Nassarius (in the sandbed not pictured), 1 Turbo, 2 Ceriths, and got a stomatella hitchiker!

Theres quite a bit of hair algae starting so i thought id get the CUC rolling to take care of it now before it gets to be too much for my eyes to look at haha. Theres still diatoms too. but they are dying off slowly.

Im goign to buy 3 more nass snails and maybe 2 more ceriths. Im going SNAIL ONLY, I dont want hermits because they fight and steal shells and i dont want anything dying in my tank i would like a healthy tank with no decaying animals. Im going to buy some chaeto soon for nutrient export and im just going to put it in my big HOB.

I added another filter today (the bigger on the left) for more flow and aimed my powerhead toward the surface because i was getting some film on the surface of the water. it took care of it :D... Im getting a PRIZM HOB skimmer for christmas and a Koralia nano powerhead also.

The Red MONTI bleached because my lights are too strong so i put it in a lower light area and its slowly regaining color. However the Green paly head i had popped out another polyp. so now its 2 heads :)

STAY TUNED!

Also, does anyone know my my water got cloudy yesterday, i dont touch my tank. it just was cloudy yesterday when the lights came on. I added some filter floss and ill see if it helped tomorrow.

post-83142-0-63427700-1414356920_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-19035500-1414356933_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-68100300-1414356935_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-08620800-1414356938_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-96637400-1414356940_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-35267400-1414356944_thumb.jpg

OFFICIALY CYCLED AS OF (11/2/14)

WOOHOO!

Hey Guys! The tank is now cycled! Time to start adding corals!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys! Just added a aquacultured green branching hammer tonight! (November 14th 2014)

It's starting to open up and it's only been in he tank for about an hour. I'm not sure where it's permanent spot will be but if I can get it to like this spot it's staying there. I think it looks good there.

post-83142-0-31179900-1416012208_thumb.jpg

congrats! i just got my first hammer too!

i've added fotos in my own thread. i love it

a lot. they are great corals. i've put it up high

because i've read it has far reaching stingers?

Have a yellow tail damsel in there as of now. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. I'm only going to have one fish. Thanks for the replies!

I would love a fish that doesnt, ehh....."Poo" so much. My damsel literally fills the sand with fecal matter and its quite an eye sore..

congrats! i just got my first hammer too!

i've added fotos in my own thread. i love it

a lot. they are great corals. i've put it up high

because i've read it has far reaching stingers?

Yea i put mine in the middle, hammers really only sting others when its pissed off, like if something is too close.

Haha, a good cuc should help with that. What about a goby shrimp pair. Or a few pajama cardinals?

not sure, my cuc literally does nothing, my turbo eats alot of algae but thats it. no poo eaters... theeyre all lazy

If your having detritus settle on the sand bed, it's more likely a flow issue than anything a cuc will do. Try readjusting your power heads or maybe adding some more flow so that the detritus stays in the water column and can be pulled out by your filtration.

Im wondering why my hammer isnt big? Its one head and its been in the tank for a few days now. it wont open fully. it will be open for about an hour then it gets small. its never opened fully. how long does it take?

Re aquasaped this week, Keeping the scape for sure, Had to make more sandbed room in the front for corals and i have to make the scape taller for more light demanding corals like my hammer. Im running some filter floss in my filter right now till tomorrow to take out some detritus thats floating around and clear up the water column... Any suggestions for this tank? I would like to make it better, Ill take any advice/help i can get. I want this tank to flourish.

BTW: I got a single stomatella snail in a frag i bought, theres about 7 of them now, theyre multiplying quickly :)

Also, My hammer coral is still not big, Is it just because its a small frag or should it be open more? Does it just need time to get used to the tank?

If your having detritus settle on the sand bed, it's more likely a flow issue than anything a cuc will do. Try readjusting your power heads or maybe adding some more flow so that the detritus stays in the water column and can be pulled out by your filtration.

Yea But Im pretty poor as im still in 11th grade... I adjusted my powerhead, everytime i adjust it it either blows sand around or blows my hammer around too much no matter where the coral is placed, Im trying the spot for now, i guess time will tell how it works out.

Whatabout some hermits? Or some a sandsifting starfish(I think they eat poo).

Im going hermitless unless i need them, I dont like how they fight over shells and kill snails. Not a fan of them :/

Cerith, bumble bee and nassarius snails eat that poo poo... yumm

I have one nass right now. I think ill stop by my LFS and grab a few more, How many do you recommend for a ten gallon?

post-83142-0-88233800-1416322676_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-80389200-1416322680_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-35182500-1416322683_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-98362400-1416322685_thumb.jpg

post-83142-0-75922200-1416322688_thumb.jpg

aquariumlover10

Theyonly kill or fight if they don't have other shells to get into, you have to put a bunch or different sized empty shells for them or they will fight.

Ahh I see, well, right now I'm just waiting for this hammer to open before I do ANYHING, then I need to buy more CUC and buy reef crystals.

aquariumlover10

Yeah its complicated, I learned it most while I stumbled apond something while researching when I had my crayfishm

Have you tried feeding bb to it? It may open to eat.

Archived