Top Shelf Aquatics

Food for Rainfordi goby?

tibbsy07

i've had yellow clown gobies eat minced up flake food and tiny pieces of mysis. the one on flake food had to be constantly fed and was always skinny. they have such tiny mouths and even thinner throats, and small stomaches. they are a pain. you could also try enriched frozen brine shrimp which is now thought to be good for fish. must be enriched though.

oh, and i also got green clown gobies to eat live black worms. which are harder than ycg to feed. so you could also try that. the problem with gcg is they stay near the bottom and like to hide making them harder to feed than ycg.

thanks! i bought enriched brine shrimp too!

i think the YCG did eat some of that as well.

he spits out a lot, but i'll see him not spit out once

in a while. :)

so far i've fed:

algagen live pods

reef frenzy (frozen)

mysis shrimps (frozen)

enriched brine (frozen)

new life spectrum .5mm pellets (crumbled and soaked in a bit of RODI water)

arctic ez pods (cyclopeeze--the best known brand didn't have a good harvest this year)

they spit stuff out cause their throats are so small that they can't get the food down. try smaller pieces.

remember that in the wild they live off of copepods which are really tiny.

yeah. i'm still trying. i've already bought 3 lots of live

pods (one from tim who sells and is a member here--great

service), but my tank simply isn't established enough.

i've tried cyclop-eeze for the first time, and my YCG seemed

to like it a lot. i will try it again and hope that the rainfordi is

curious from the YCG's eating. i was having a hard time

with the YCG too, but he seems to be eating some, so i'm

still more concerned with the rainfordi. i've had the rainfordi

for 5 weeks now. wow, i didn't realize that long.

Did you try nori yet?

Mine eats certain macro algaes or combs them for critters. It's favorites are ulva, red blob macro, and codium.

i haven't. only because both LFS folks

i asked seemed to think better to try and

get them eating meaty stuff--even if they

are omnivorous. they seemed to doubt the

rainfordi could survive on a seaweed diet.

so i haven't gone that route yet.

i'm really hoping that the R goby will look to the

YCG as example, as the latter is eating better now.

Success stories aside, Rainfords primary diet is blue green algae, filamentous algae. You can try a small piece of nori, and spirulina. But if you know somebody with a GHA problem, borrow an encrusted piece of rock or frag plug and place it close to where the goby lives.

Sadly, I had a Rainfords, one of the first new fish additions in my tank nearly 3years ago. It did not make it.

Mine also eats snail eggs so if you see any eggs on the glass, do not scrape them off.

Mine has been okay on mostly macro + pods/whatever it finds for a diet. Basically the softer macros that are easy to take bites out of and the codium because it has tiny hairs all over it so he spends a lot of time nipping/combing those as well.

I like Kat's idea of getting some GHA until you can get it eating something else whether it be macro or frozen, ect.

i've been reading up on the rainford and a lot of people are saying they don't actually eat algae, but they eat the bugs on the algae. sounds like they are soley pod and small worm eaters. this means live black worms might work. or enriched hikari frozen bloodworms. the hikari ones are small.

The gut analysis of rainfordi I could find on them did include a large amount of algae. A single (not a large sample size) hectori goby showed 95% algae and 5% copepods.

I think most on what you will find on them is just hobbyist speculation. There isn't a lot of info out there unfortunately and what info there is.... is small sample sizes.

I hope he starts eating something for you soon :( They are beautiful fish.

I definitely say try the Nori asap. If it likes it that is the first big step in getting it on prepared foods. Rubberband it to a small piece of rubble or something so it can graze on it naturally. Once it gets going on that then you can feed small pieces by just dropping them in and go from there with flakes etc...

here is foto of my thin rainfordi i just posted

on my thread. (i was showing off my gelatinous

dendro coral. ha!) please send good vibes for

the stubborn goatheaded fishie.

jellydendro.jpg

how do you guys think she looks in here?

normal skinny? i don't think her belly has gone

more concave. but... and i don't stand close when

they are eating as not to frighten either gobies. easier

to see when YCG is eating verus rainfordi.

looks skinny. you always want your fish's belly to look fat. or at least not skinny. the fish should look filled out and plump.

looks skinny. you always want your fish's belly to look fat. or at least not skinny. the fish should look filled out and plump.

yeah. that's what i thought. we bought her like

this too. *sighs* thanks.

i try not to ever buy fish unless they are 100% healthy, if not, they better eat well at the store.

yeah, knew none of this going in, obviously. ha!

/noob mistakes.

i actually returned a scooter "blennie" same day.

and the LFS guy was like: we never have trouble

feeding these.

really?

i prob should have returned this rainford too.

Archived