SaltCritters.com

Food for Rainfordi goby?

tibbsy07

Hi, I'm looking at getting a small clown and a rainfordi goby for my new tank and I had a question about food. A lot of the care sheets say to give small crustaceans/pods and filamentous algae...

Would Reef Frenzy or Herbivore frenzy work? I'd prefer to be able to feed both fish the same kind of food but have them both be healthy... Herbivore frenzy obviously has more plant and algae material, but Reef Frenzy has a microalgae (D. salina) in it [http://www.larrysreefservices.com/reef-frenzy-nano.html]. Would that be ok? Or should I use herbivore frenzy [http://www.larrysreefservices.com/herbivore-frenzy.html] and would a clown be healthy eating this?

Our Rainfords eats flakes, pellets, and Mysis. Very healthy little guy and have had him since last January. He also does a little sand sifting and nibbles at our "afro" snails hair algae wigs. lol These are great nano fish. You wont be disappointed.

My rainfords will not accept any prepared food and I have tried almost every type. From what I understand, most don't but sometimes you get lucky. Mine sifts sand and picks at macro algae. Great nano fish if they will eat for you but otherwise difficult to provide enough food probably.

My rainfords will not accept any prepared food and I have tried almost every type. From what I understand, most don't but sometimes you get lucky. Mine sifts sand and picks at macro algae. Great nano fish if they will eat for you but otherwise difficult to provide enough food probably.

Hmmmm. I may rethink this, then.

Bah, I just can't pick a damn fish.

i just picked up a rainford(i)? goby like a noob

and without research last week. because you know,

they are good for nanos. i don't have much hair algae

in my tank at all. i have one small tuft that she hasn't

gone to because it's higher up in the tank, and she

dwells on lower half.

i have some copepods and bought a big bottle of

it for her. i see her sifting sand through her mouth/gills

and also constantly picking at the rocks and glass.

but i have no idea if she's actually eating. i've had her

since saturday. she's very sweet but i'm worried for her too.

i've put a pellet down but she hasn't eaten that. i have

reef frenzy but no idea how to feed that to her as it is

quite floaty. very challenging.

you can see her on my thread linked, last page.

Have those of you that are having trouble feeding your rainfords tried flakes? Mine went to those right off the bat. the only thing he is finicky about was the Mysis which he just picks at a little. The flakes are his fave. New Life Spectrum Optimum if it makes a difference.

Have those of you that are having trouble feeding your rainfords tried flakes? Mine went to those right off the bat. the only thing he is finicky about was the Mysis which he just picks at a little. The flakes are his fave. New Life Spectrum Optimum if it makes a difference.

thank you for the rec. i haven't tried yet as

i've never bought a flake food for my saltwater

tank before. the rainford is my first fish!

does the flake float though? or sink?

Dang I guess I did get lucky then.

thank you for the rec. i haven't tried yet as

i've never bought a flake food for my saltwater

tank before. the rainford is my first fish!

does the flake float though? or sink?

They start off floating and then sink into the water column. The only fish that I have in all of my tanks that won't eat flakes is a Dispar Anthias and a Ruby Red Dragonet. I also don't just feed flakes. I use a rotation a rotation of also pellets and multiple different frozen foods.

IMAG1117.jpg

Just so you all don't think I am nuts.. Here he is eating flakes off of the surface of the water. He has been thriving in my son's SpecV since January.

you are one lucky rainford goby owner!

now i haven't tried to feed it anything yet, so

we'll see. i'm not sure if i can tell if she's wasting

away either. she's not chubby though.

I will say that for the first week or two he didn't eat much but sifted sand a lot. In that time his belly got a little concave. He started picking at the prepared foods and never looked back. You can see now his belly looks like I have been feeding Budweiser!

I will say that for the first week or two he didn't eat much but sifted sand a lot. In that time his belly got a little concave. He started picking at the prepared foods and never looked back. You can see now his belly looks like I have been feeding Budweiser!

the foto helps! we're almost one week in

and i don't think goby has a concave belly.

there IS a lot of pecking all over the tank on

frags, glass, as well as sifting. i had gotten her

a bottle of live pods last week.

we'll see what happens.

to OP, yeah, if i had known, i'm not sure

if i'd risk it. but there have been a few success

stories.

My goby has been doing well for a few weeks in my tank. Had a concave belly when I got it but now its nice and fat. Of course it doesn't eat any prepared foods but does pick constantly on the rocks and glass of my pod ridden tank! I will say that before this fish my fav was a tailspot blenny but now....

i bought (after a rancid bag fiasco) fresh copepods

for the goby today. i don't think it's going well. i've

tried leaving mysis shrimp, pellets, and also reef frenzy

for it, but impossible to tell if she's eaten it. she hides

when i get close to her with food.

so yeah. i wouldn't recommend getting one of these

fish unless you have a large established tank. and major

my NOOBIE BAD for not having researched thinking

all gobies were appropriate for nanos. :(

One last thing you might try is Nori. She may go to it if you rubberband a piece to some rubble and drop it in the tank. It will seem like a more natural food source. If she isn't eating prepared foods like flakes frozen etc, or pods then maybe some nori will peak her interest. Good luck, hate to hear that she still isn't eating.

• 3 weeks later...

saw a tank of about 10 hector's gobies at the lfs, only one ate frozen brine (probably would eat frozen mini mysis/mysid as well) the rest were starving to death. the one that ate was a bully. i've seen many of these and the jesters starving at lfs's. i've read they mainly eat hair algae but i dunno how accurate that is. perhaps you could move your hair algae to the bottom of the tank?

This, them and Hectors gobies often won't take prepared.

saw a tank of about 10 hector's gobies at the lfs, only one ate frozen brine (probably would eat frozen mini mysis/mysid as well) the rest were starving to death. the one that ate was a bully. i've seen many of these and the jesters starving at lfs's. i've read they mainly eat hair algae but i dunno how accurate that is. perhaps you could move your hair algae to the bottom of the tank?

This, them and Hectors gobies often won't take prepared.

yeah. i'm still trying. i've already bought 3 lots of live

pods (one from tim who sells and is a member here--great

service), but my tank simply isn't established enough.

i've tried cyclop-eeze for the first time, and my YCG seemed

to like it a lot. i will try it again and hope that the rainfordi is

curious from the YCG's eating. i was having a hard time

with the YCG too, but he seems to be eating some, so i'm

still more concerned with the rainfordi. i've had the rainfordi

for 5 weeks now. wow, i didn't realize that long.

here is foto of my thin rainfordi i just posted

on my thread. (i was showing off my gelatinous

dendro coral. ha!) please send good vibes for

the stubborn goatheaded fishie.

jellydendro.jpg

i've had yellow clown gobies eat minced up flake food and tiny pieces of mysis. the one on flake food had to be constantly fed and was always skinny. they have such tiny mouths and even thinner throats, and small stomaches. they are a pain. you could also try enriched frozen brine shrimp which is now thought to be good for fish. must be enriched though.

oh, and i also got green clown gobies to eat live black worms. which are harder than ycg to feed. so you could also try that. the problem with gcg is they stay near the bottom and like to hide making them harder to feed than ycg.

Archived