Cultivated Reef

Help deciding a tank size

utopiatalks

Hi Nano-Reef!

This is my first post after lurking around for quite some time. I have always been a freshwater planted girl till I stumbled across some photos of snowflake clowns. Started looking into them then looking into corals and other fish. I am still very much in the planning stages of my set up but would love some options of experienced reefers on tank size.

I have a 20 long aquarium that I had been using as a high tech planted tank. I have upgraded to a larger tank for my plants (a 46 gallon bow) and now have an empty 20 long. I love the tank's dimensions and the fact that it is a shallower tank (easier maintenance). After seeing some of the amazing 20 longs on this site I thought it should be my first reef. I wanted to do a 29 gallon sump for extra water volume. I've been waiting for the dollar per gallon sale to make buy the 29 and its on now. I had to pop in there for some crickets and started looking at tanks. I keep thinking about 40 gallon breeders and all that extra room. If I went that route I would just use the 20 long as the sump.

So what do you guys think? Should I stick with the original plan (20 long/29 gal sump) or go with a 40 gallon display? I really do love the dimensions on the 20 long but don't want to get into a situation six months to a year later wishing I had a bigger set up.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Bigger the better! :haha:

But you're right about not wanting to have to upgrade later on. The 40gal will give you room for more stocking and for spacing out corals so they're not actively trying to murder each other, you know?

I vote 20 long with a 15G sump.

Why? Total it would put you at around 25G after rock and sand etc. It's also nice because a 20% water change is still less than a 5G bucket. Believe me, one 5G bucket is enough. I want to keep my tanks under 30G for this reason. It's also smaller and way easier to light than a 40B. 40B will add a lot of cost in lights, skimmer, rocks and sand.

However more livestock > less 5G buckets, so if you plan to stock heavy get the 40B. :)

Bigger the better! :haha:

But you're right about not wanting to have to upgrade later on. The 40gal will give you room for more stocking and for spacing out corals so they're not actively trying to murder each other, you know?

Yeah I'm definitely thinking it will give me more stocking options, and good point about the corals. Although the tiny frags I'll probably be buying won't be waging war too soon :happy:.

Thanks for the input!

I vote 20 long with a 15G sump.

Why? Total it would put you at around 25G after rock and sand etc. It's also nice because a 20% water change is still less than a 5G bucket. Believe me, one 5G bucket is enough. I want to keep my tanks under 30G for this reason. It's also smaller and way easier to light than a 40B. 40B will add a lot of cost in lights, skimmer, rocks and sand.

However more livestock > less 5G buckets, so if you plan to stock heavy get the 40B. :)

Ugh decisions! You're so right about the buckets! Thats why I initially wanted to do the 20 long. That is also a very good point about equipment. I'm really going to have to think about my ultimate stocking goals.

Thanks!

29 display, 20 long sump. :D I really like the 29, I like the twin towers look.

29 is too tall for a sump IMO, just asking for trouble and will be hard to reach into.

CatfishSoupFTW

a bigger tank is of course always nice. I started with a 10, and quickly upgrading to a 22 (which i plan to keep for 2 years before I upgrade to another size, due to various reasons) but that aside I have been very content with what I have.

Honestly, if you have a 20L, make it happen. Im jelly of those 20L setups people do. they are very common. But i also find them difficult due to dimensions. I have never owned one, but I have always had narrow tanks. So im upgrading to a cube. Wanted to try something different. If i had more money to blow, the 20L would be one of various tanks, but since im limited on things i went for a 21 gallon cube to play with depth and height. ( I also buy rimless starfire tanks, so dollar per gallon sales are out of the question price wise)

and prices do add up. I have spent about 500-600 plus to get my ten gallon going, and thats not including the free stuff I have gotten from local members.

29 display, 20 long sump. :D I really like the 29, I like the twin towers look.

29 is too tall for a sump IMO, just asking for trouble and will be hard to reach into.

Thats funny, I used to have a 29 as a freshwater setup. I just remembered I hated cleaning it do to its height, so you're probably totally right about it as a sump. Maybe the 29 just isn't for me :wacko:. So I could do a 20 long display and 20 long sump.

Thanks for your input!

a bigger tank is of course always nice. I started with a 10, and quickly upgrading to a 22 (which i plan to keep for 2 years before I upgrade to another size, due to various reasons) but that aside I have been very content with what I have.

Honestly, if you have a 20L, make it happen. Im jelly of those 20L setups people do. they are very common. But i also find them difficult due to dimensions. I have never owned one, but I have always had narrow tanks. So im upgrading to a cube. Wanted to try something different. If i had more money to blow, the 20L would be one of various tanks, but since im limited on things i went for a 21 gallon cube to play with depth and height. ( I also buy rimless starfire tanks, so dollar per gallon sales are out of the question price wise)

and prices do add up. I have spent about 500-600 plus to get my ten gallon going, and thats not including the free stuff I have gotten from local members.

Thanks for your feedback!

I also really love some of the 20 longs I see on here. And your right about prices, Im looking into buying the best I can afford and I am not worried about taking all the time it needs to get what is best for my setup. I thought about a rimless low iron tank but decided I would rather save the money for the future livestock and equipment. Now if there was a tank maker selling a rimless tank with the same dimensions of a 20 long that might be a different story...

40B is such a perfect size(I have 2), the 29 or 20 are great sump sizes for it. Petco has its $1 a gallon sale right now.

Finding stands for it is a pain. Way too big to put on a dresser or anything Ikea'ish.

Some Petcos still have hidden stock of the discontinued Brooklyn stand.

Its the same foot print as the ADA 90P, which is nice if you ever upgrade.

Dont use buckets, use 5 gallon water jugs. No spillage, has a lid, has a handle for pouring.

Chris at Picoaquarium.com will make you a low iron 20Long I bet.

Whilst generally bigger is better I like the sound of the 20G long, and if you like the dimensions go with it!

Be prepared for a big change, if you are getting Clowns, they are completely different to any tropical fish I have kept. They are much more interactive! My Clown behaves more like a small underwater dog than a fish! wagging her tail and waiting at the front of the tank for me when I get home.

:-)

CatfishSoupFTW

the closest thing I have ever gotten to a tank maker that makes a 20L starfire is this.

http://aquainspiration.com/nproductdetail.asp?PIN=AT&PNAME=AI&PSIZE=CB903022&PTYPE=Starfire%20Tank

they are located here in Toronto, and I dont think they ship. BUTTTTTTT.... I have contacted the suppliers directly in China, as I was quoting prices to see. the 21 cube I just bought cost me 140. If I ordered it directly from China it would have cost me 40 bucks. Its the shipping of one tank that brings it to similar price. Also depends the shipping details. The guy I emailed back and forth was very honest and helpful, and if there are minor changes he can sometimes ask for custom orders. If you are interested, I can dig up his email and send it your way. He usually responds in the earlier part of days due to time zones but once I caught him after a response, it was basically instant responses.

A similar tank I have seen is the 12L set up. those are equally as cool but id say even more difficult. lol Mr. aqua I think makes those.

40 BR, in the process of drilling mine as an upgrade from my 20L. The 40BR is everything you want in a 20L, but better, more manageable, and more options.

+1 on 40BR

If it is within your budget, go bigger with the 40g, you will have more stocking options and the 20g sump you were planning for will work just as good with it.

20L, some of the best looking tanks are based on its LxWxH ratios.

I never liked the look of a 29. Too tall for the narrowness.

A 40BR has almost the same ratios, but bigger & more flexible.

20L: 30x12x12

40B: 36x18x16

Ratio:

20L: 5 x 2 x 2

40B: 4.5 x 2.25 x 2

masterbuilder

A 40BR has almost the same ratios, but bigger & more flexible.

20L: 30x12x12

40B: 36x18x16

Ratio:

20L: 5 x 2 x 2

40B: 4.5 x 2.25 x 2

I agree...now it just is a matter of budget.

40b because of the footprint...aquascaping will be much easier and you can fit a lot more livestock. I was totally bored of my 29g after 2 months.

Archived