Coral Vue Hydros

Water flow overkilling?

barkleylim

Hello from Malaysia! :D

Hi fellow Nano Reefers! This is my first post after spending years on and off reading and studying on this forum but only managed to get my hands wet around mid June 2014. Just added a Jebao WP-10 (4000L/h) to my 7g (1 ft cube) and wondering if it is a bit too much flow for my tank? Help!

My setting

Wave mode: W1

Speed : S3 (slowest)

Frequency : 3/4

Thanks guys!

From what I recall, the WP10's lowest setting is about 500GPH and therefore 70 times water turnover, right?. The RW-4's lowest setting is 100-something, so I think you'll want to replace it with that instead. I might be wrong; I don't have either of them...

From what I recall, the WP10's lowest setting is about 500GPH and therefore 70 times water turnover, right?. The RW-4's lowest setting is 100-something, so I think you'll want to replace it with that instead. I might be wrong; I don't have either of them...

Ya, from the menu the lowest setting is 50% of it's power (2000L/H) :wacko: I only knew the Jebao RW-4 after I had bought the WP-10 after seeing plenty of good reviews on it and it's the smallest wavemaker i knew during that time... Vortech MP-10 was out of range for it's price. Guess I had to stick with it for a while. Anyone else having used this wavemaker for a tank less than 10G?

CatfishSoupFTW

i have a wp10 in my 10 gallon on the lowest speed setting, and some fine tuning on the knob.

I dig it:D no issues. mp10s are nice but pricy and I have heard more issues with those than the wp10. whether its noise, or bearings etc.

I wouldnt worry too much about it in the 7G. its all about placement. Certain spots I found the corals were in a whirl pool, but if I bounce the circulation off the glass and rocks then its just right.

i have a wp10 in my 10 gallon on the lowest speed setting, and some fine tuning on the knob.

I dig it:D no issues. mp10s are nice but pricy and I have heard more issues with those than the wp10. whether its noise, or bearings etc.

I wouldnt worry too much about it in the 7G. its all about placement. Certain spots I found the corals were in a whirl pool, but if I bounce the circulation off the glass and rocks then its just right.

Thanks for the input CatfishSoupFTW! I guess that I might need to either rescape my liverocks or change the placement of the wavemaker this coming wc :haha:

Currently I placed mine 1 inch away from the surface on the left side corner at the back facing forward at 45 degree and 20 degree upwards, but I find it still a bit too strong.

May I know where did u placed ur wavemaker at? just as a reference, Thanks!

CatfishSoupFTW

no worries. its on my left wall.. about 2 inches from the surface level, aiming a bit towards the back wall and also hitting the live rock. that way the water goes in a circular motion. I base it off how I see my hammer head react. if its waving too much or retracts then I know I need to aim it somewhere else. It did take a few days to study it and see how I like this.

Hi there which part of Malaysia are you from? I am also Malaysian but living in Ohio now. I will be starting my first Saltwater tank in January next year and at the moment doing research on equipment. Best things is I will be heading home to Penang and Kl in mid November for my mom's B'day. It would be great if you can point me to some good fish/marine shops back home. I would appreciate it a lot as I have been away for so many years that I have no idea how big or small the reef industries are anymore. I was thinking of getting the Jabeo RW 4. Was gonna see what the prices are back home before I decide. Also looking for theMame Overflow do you know where I can find those in Malaysia? Thanks

no worries. its on my left wall.. about 2 inches from the surface level, aiming a bit towards the back wall and also hitting the live rock. that way the water goes in a circular motion. I base it off how I see my hammer head react. if its waving too much or retracts then I know I need to aim it somewhere else. It did take a few days to study it and see how I like this.

well i can only see how my six line wrasse movement or "grooving" to determine the movement of the current in the tank as I had yet to purchase any corals (It cost like hell here at my place) :wacko:. will post a new thread on my tank for more opinions and suggestions later on everything, hehehe...

Hi there which part of Malaysia are you from? I am also Malaysian but living in Ohio now. I will be starting my first Saltwater tank in January next year and at the moment doing research on equipment. Best things is I will be heading home to Penang and Kl in mid November for my mom's B'day. It would be great if you can point me to some good fish/marine shops back home. I would appreciate it a lot as I have been away for so many years that I have no idea how big or small the reef industries are anymore. I was thinking of getting the Jabeo RW 4. Was gonna see what the prices are back home before I decide. Also looking for theMame Overflow do you know where I can find those in Malaysia? Thanks

Hi there! Great to know another reefer from Malaysia! I'm from Kuching, Sarawak! Sadly I can't help u much on the reef shops in Penang as I've only been there once in March this year and haven't started my tank back then... I only know one fish/pet store there near the Tunes Hotel around Komtar area.

I gotten my Jebao WP-10 from a China online store called Taobao or Tmall (http://sea.taobao.com/ & http://www.tmall.com/), Tmall is much safer from what I heard from my friend but i still bought mine from Taobao as it is cheaper. I only manage to find WP-25 and above in the lfs, none are selling RW series or WP-10, I guess many reefers based at my place kept larger tank. I think it's best that u visit these website and find out their price to form a judgement on the price with a bit of mark up in Penang.

you can refer to this www.chuisui.com (A Malaysian marine reef forum) for more pointers on locating reef shops in ur hometown Penang during ur return this November, but to me the forum is a bit quiet, u will understand when u see their forum, hopes this helps ;)

• 1 year later...

Archived