Innovative Marine Aquariums

Myster's 40b SPS Dominate (Some STN)

mystersyster

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mystersyster

The bulkhead that I used as my main drain pictured above was great and cemented to the pvc NO problem. The bulkhead on the left however, did not glue to PVC after two tries. Not even a little. Don't know what this was made out of but it's clearly not Abs or pvc. Ordered another one, pvc on amazon. It'll be a few days before it's wet now.

Nice looking tank!

Thank you!

mystersyster

Got my new PVC bulkhead from amazon. She doesn't screw on as tight as I like, she'll move around a bit. But it's as tight as it'll go so I'm sure it will be fine. It's all cemented, tomorrow I will be filling with water. ?

20150825_174359_zpsrdipgj1b.jpg

mystersyster

That herbie tho...

20150826_142808_zpsmz2n1ql4.jpg

Full sump shot. Not done. Still adding skimmer, maaaaybe some sand. And definitely trimming the vinyl tubing back a bit.

20150826_142759_zpspofrrpfu.jpg

Let me know what you all think! I've been so lonely here... :)

duncan-junkie

Looking good!! I'm in the process of building a tank very much like yours. Its a good feeling when the water finally hits the tank. Good luck!!!

mystersyster

Looking good!! I'm in the process of building a tank very much like yours. Its a good feeling when the water finally hits the tank. Good luck!!!

Thanks! Some advice I would give you is to use PVC for the return. This braided vinyl is good because you don't have to use cement or really measure things out. However, it is super stiff. I spent 15 bucks on it so that's why I am using it... however i will definitely be switching to pvc in time.

Dunk the vinyl in boiling water. Makes it softer and lets you shape and bend it easier, then run cold water over and through it and it holds it's shape or just hold it put till it cools.

Knock an inch and a half off that emergency drain and you'll be in business.

mystersyster

Dunk the vinyl in boiling water. Makes it softer and lets you shape and bend it easier, then run cold water over and through it and it holds it's shape or just hold it put till it cools.

Knock an inch and a half off that emergency drain and you'll be in business.

Thanks Benny. I will definitely do that. I tried using a hair dryer and no luck. Boiling water sounds like a way better idea.

mystersyster

Since I'm transferring all of my live rock into my 40, I wanted to get some identification. Had quite a number of these in my rock and sand. None bigger than 2 1/2 inches. So not fireworms. These beneficial bristle worms?

20150824_154535_zpsjwiljloo.jpg

20150824_154637_zpsmvntkyrj.jpg

mystersyster

Quick update! I spent an hour messing with the sump to make room for my monstrous skimmer and its rio 2500. Long story short, I had to cut my main drains pipe a bit. Everything fits though. I will also be making a media basket out of left over eggcrate. Hoping it won't detract from the appearance much. Here's the full sump/ refugium shot!

20150828_164914_zpsidhypxwd.jpg

Oh, and I WILL be practicing cable management once all the love rock goes in :)

image.jpg1.jpg

I strongly encourage you support your tanks drain tubing to the stand. If you bump it or twist it low at the sump you have a lot of leverage and your tank could end up like mine did. I had no issues for 1 year until just few weeks ago when I had a electrical issue and I had to move the tank. When I moved it back in place this is what I ended up with. Luckily Petco had the $1 gallon sale and I was back up and running in 24 hrs.

I have one of those Red Sea skimmers on my 135gal reef tank and it works just fine. Plenty of skimmer for your tank.

It's been along time since I have been online but I think I have my 40 b build at the end of my 20 long build when I switched everything over to the 40b. I did that when I broke the 20 long doing the same thing moving it. I was removing the plumbing and twisted it resulting in pressure being put on the glass and busted it.

Oh! Also make sure your sump can hold your bulkheads water volume if your system shuts down. Looks like it will but better safe when you are there then not. Paying close attention to your return line. If the system powers down and the return line is lower in the tank it will start a syphon and you could end up with more water in your sump then expected.

Nice setup!

mystersyster

image.jpg1.jpg

I strongly encourage you support your tanks drain tubing to the stand. If you bump it or twist it low at the sump you have a lot of leverage and your tank could end up like mine did. I had no issues for 1 year until just few weeks ago when I had a electrical issue and I had to move the tank. When I moved it back in place this is what I ended up with. Luckily Petco had the $1 gallon sale and I was back up and running in 24 hrs.

I have one of those Red Sea skimmers on my 135gal reef tank and it works just fine. Plenty of skimmer for your tank.

It's been along time since I have been online but I think I have my 40 b build at the end of my 20 long build when I switched everything over to the 40b. I did that when I broke the 20 long doing the same thing moving it. I was removing the plumbing and twisted it resulting in pressure being put on the glass and busted it.

Holy cow that is scary. Especially if water is inside. I have a metal stand. How would you go about supporting the drains?

Luckily I had drained the tank down about 60% to move it so it wasn't full. I also have tile flooring so what water that got on the floor was not big deal.

I would try and make some kind of cradle for the pvc and mounted to the metal stand. As long as no one bumps or try's to pull, push or twist the drain tubes it will be fine but things happen. I am sure that you can buy pvc hangers. I would check out your home store pvc department. I have a wood stand I used a hole saw and drilled a 2" hole in a piece of hard wood cut it in half sealed it, drilled two holes in it. Homemade hose clamp.

be090778-6e13-4f89-8605-44381896bf0f.jpg

Not sure where my 40b build is at it may be on RC. Anyway her are some picks of my tank.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

20140207_194108.jpg

mystersyster

Also I use this tubing from Lowes for the drains. Much more flexible so if you need to move it in your sump you are not fighting a ridged installation. Will slid right on your pvc.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_645906-72906-BC2458+L___?productId=50381022&pl=1&Ntt=washer+drain+tubeing

You really make me wish I had gone with flexable tubing. I live in an apartment with people below me. I am going to try and use some pipe clamps and drill into the stand this weekend. Thank you for the insight.

Out of curiousity how much did you bump your pvc before it cracked like that? I know it could be much, just wondering if it was a pretty good bump or not.

You really make me wish I had gone with flexable tubing. I live in an apartment with people below me. I am going to try and use some pipe clamps and drill into the stand this weekend. Thank you for the insight.

Out of curiousity how much did you bump your pvc before it cracked like that? I know it could be much, just wondering if it was a pretty good bump or not.

Knowing is a big part of the battle. Just remember when you are messing with those down tubes be mindful of any twisting or pulling.

You still can use flex tubing.

If you cut your PVC at about where I drew the red line in the previous pic. Move your flow valve up there and then slide on the flex tubing I showed you. This will reduce the chance of you putting any pressure on the down pipes and breaking the tank. You understand that the longer the stiff PVC pipe is the more leverage you will have at the bottom so with all that leverage it increases your chance of breaking the tank then if you have a short amount of PVC coming out the back of the tank and then flex from there.

I don't know if you have kids but with an open stand like yours the down pipes are exposed. If no one messes with them you will be ok.

The clamps will isolate any pulling or twisting at the stand and not at the glass. As fare as what it takes to break a tank It all depends on where your leveraging the down tubes and I am no engineer so I couldn't tell you how much force it would take but with the 20gal and my 40gal I broke it wasn't much. Remember these tanks are only 1/4" glass. They are not like a big tank with twice as thick of glass.

MY 40B was broke sliding it back on the stand an up to the wall. My down tubes are setup very similar to yours with the exception I use the flex tube just as I describe to you above. So I have just an elbow on the un-valve side and flex tube down and I have a valve on the other side and then flex tube down. The side I broke was the side with the valve on it. That is because when I pushed the tank against the wall the valve touched the wall putting pressure on the tank glass and breaking it.

post-24010-0-76172300-1440853812_thumb.jpg

Archived