Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Myster's 40b SPS Dominate (Some STN)

mystersyster

mystersyster

Quick Sunday update. My tank has cleared up a lot! Still pretty cloudy though. I guess I have to be patient with such fine argonite. The salinity is about 1.028, trying to get down to 1.026 slowly over the next few days. Live rock has been added, and some more dry/live will be added to the refugium.

20150830_162123_zpsxb359usr.jpg

20150830_162133_zpsggbvotbt.jpg

20150830_162140_zpseeou952g.jpg

20150830_162202_zpsxrofqlyb.jpg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After researching for a some I have come to hold the opinion that royal grammas can be successfully housed together. I believe it is a misconception they are overly aggressive to their own kind in nano tanks above 20 gallons. I have only found cases where, when introduced together, a pecking order is established and they live in harmony.

Yesterday I added my first fish to the aquarium. A pair of juvenile Royal Gramma. More pictures to come after they get more comfortable coming out.

20150905_225623_zpso2phfpnv.jpg

I tried to keep things as clean looking as possible with an iron openstand.

20150905_225637_zpsxbauw7z1.jpg

20150905_225652_zpsc5gp4cxz.jpg

20150905_225717_zps8bcdjdw9.jpg

It took less than a day for them to come out. They eat like pigs, and aren't afraid to stay out when I'm next to the tank. I'm feeding them a frozen carnivore diet.

20150906_142848_zpsqxityzhr.jpg

20150906_185608_zps1gkrirbs.jpg

Now that they are settling in I'm already thinking about the next fish. I really want a wrasse other than a six line or possum. Anyone have any experience with pretty wrasse in a tank around my size? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

righttirefire

I know you're at that critical time looking at a blank canvas. But give your tank a couple weeks to a month. Definitely start looking and researching your next fish. But establish good habits now. Maintance schedule. Proper feeding. Check your levels. You bioload is in Flux right now. It'll need to cache up and balance again

I know you're at that critical time looking at a blank canvas. But give your tank a couple weeks to a month. Definitely start looking and researching your next fish. But establish good habits now. Maintance schedule. Proper feeding. Check your levels. You bioload is in Flux right now. It'll need to cache up and balance again

Hey thanks fire. I'm in total agreement with you. I'm probably going to wait at least a month. I get 15 pounds of dry rock in a couple of days ill be adding. I really want that rock to start hosting bacteria before I add anything else. By that point I'll have about 35 pounds of LR.

20150907_134337_zpsuucs3jpu_edit_1441776

Do you have more rock coming? You're missing a lot of usable light. By having the middle so open and no elevation. It looks most your rock is in lower light places limiting coral selection

Got the two pieces in the back to the front. I would be concerened about the lighting but I can raise it up way higher and its at 15 percent whites and 35 percent blue. So I have room to brighten. And I want a clam up front.

20150910_130511_zpsodwoesiz.jpg

The thing that regret as well is the overflow placement. Wish I had put it on the left side

Really? I was thinking I wanted to use a center overflow in my next build, 40 breeder. But you'd prefer a corner overflow? My 20 long has a left corner overflow and right corner return.

Really? I was thinking I wanted to use a center overflow in my next build, 40 breeder. But you'd prefer a corner overflow? My 20 long has a left corner overflow and right corner return.

The two reasons being is that is messes with the aquascape. I don't like my rocks pushed forward. And the second would be the plumbing. It pretty much would go straight down. Something I can live with though. And it will look nicer once I have a black background.

So I decided to build my own stand. Love the look of my steel stand, however, I don't love it with the sump. Nor does my wife. Built the main guts of my stand today! Will be reinforcing the top frame with four more 2x4 studs. :)

20150918_162416_zpspo1dbvrd.jpg

Looks great so far!

Hey thanks! I've gotten some trim on it. Huge learning experience. It has not turned out as nice as I had hoped. Hopefully it will look better with the stain. Its going to be weathered grey.

20150921_192019_zpsvvjwl6kv.jpg

20150921_192034_zpsnr12ytko.jpg

20150921_192050_zpszylk8ozj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
mystersyster

Pre water change parameters:

Calcium: 160

Alkalinity: 7

Nitrate: 5ppm

Salinity: 1.026

No corals yet. Anyone have an idea as to why my calcium would be so drastically low? I do 5 gallon water changes every Monday. I use instant ocean salt (not the reef crystals). Magnesium test kit will be here wednesday. Would this explain die off of coralline?

Pre water change parameters:

Calcium: 160

Alkalinity: 7

Nitrate: 5ppm

Salinity: 1.026

No corals yet. Anyone have an idea as to why my calcium would be so drastically low? I do 5 gallon water changes every Monday. I use instant ocean salt (not the reef crystals). Magnesium test kit will be here wednesday. Would this explain die off of coralline?

Test again :)

3 tests. Same results using an Api test kit. 160 ppm. 8 drops turn test solution blue. You use Api tests right?

Naa... They're prêtty much the least accurate test kit out there from what I've heard. I use Salifert.

mystersyster

I could swear I've seen you recommend it. Yeah that's what people say but from what I've researched it gives similar results to salifert or red sea. I'm using nyos for my magnesium test. I'll confirm with my lfs.

Ditch the API test. Complete waste of time for anything other than ball park figures for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. If you need accuracy you need another brand, my LFS use salifert, I've been using royal nature test, but they seem to have some funny ideas sometimes too. Next time I'm feeling rich I'll be buying salifert kits to replace my current ones.

Archived