inTank Media Baskets

Myster's 40b SPS Dominate (Some STN)

mystersyster

mystersyster

Hey all. Welcome to my 40 Breeder build. This is not my first aquarium, but will be the first reef that I keep. I have kept some softies before with mild success, however, I am looking to keep SPS now. So don't be afraid to give me your opinions. Alright then. Here she is.

Overflow: Centered box, herbie drain system.

Display: 40g breeder

Sump: 20L custom sump

Skimmer: Red Sea Berlin Classic Bubble Magus Curve 5 Barrier Reef Aquariums DC-100

Reactor: Two little fishies phosban 150 (currently offline)

Wave maker/ Water movement: Jebao WP 25 and a Jebao PP-4 Running on a JBWAVE

Return: RIO 2100

Stand: Petco brooklyn iron stand DIY 2x4 wood stand

Light: Ocean Revive T247

Livestock:

Fish:

Pair of Royal Grammas

Melanurus Wrasse

Mccosker's Flasher Wrasse

Starry Blenny RIP

Inverts:

Thin striped hermits (Banished to the sump!)

Bunch of dwarf ceriths

2 Derasa Clams

Corals:

SPS:

Montipora spongodes

Purple Acro

Green Polyp Digitata

Pink Birdsnest

Green Birdsnest

Armor of God zoanthids

Pom Pom Pulsing Xenia

Parameters:

Calcium: 420

ALK: 9

Magnesium: 1400-1440 (maintained by water changes)

Nitrates/Phosphates: Not Currently testing

FTS 11/20/2015

2015-11-19%2017.49.24_zpsrr3nlvj1.jpg

FTS 10/28/2015

20151028_115231_zps7e6wkkv7.jpg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mystersyster

Go with the new Jebao pumps. 1 WP25 would work great in a 40B...as for plumbing, sorry I am no bueno at that.

I hadn't even looked into those but for 53 dollars on amazon with a controller. And the range of flow rate and such good reviews. You are a beast, I'm definitely going that route.

Sounds like a great build- what are you planning for lights and livestock?

As far as lighting goes I'm still looking around. I am very tempted to buy some Chinese leds for under a hundred bucks until I can upgrade to something else. In my twenty gallon I have a black snowflake and a royal gramma. I'm going to stick with those two and then dive into sps dominated for the first time.

I hadn't even looked into those but for 53 dollars on amazon with a controller. And the range of flow rate and such good reviews. You are a beast, I'm definitely going that route.

As far as lighting goes I'm still looking around. I am very tempted to buy some Chinese leds for under a hundred bucks until I can upgrade to something else. In my twenty gallon I have a black snowflake and a royal gramma. I'm going to stick with those two and then dive into sps dominated for the first time.

Nice! Gotta love a SPS tank! Looking forward to following along. Go with the best light you can- you won't regret it!

You will enjoy the 40, by far the best big little tank. I'm not an led guy so I can't give you any advice on lighting, but the build sounds well though out. Take a look at my 40 if you need ideas.

You will enjoy the 40, by far the best big little tank. I'm not an led guy so I can't give you any advice on lighting, but the build sounds well though out. Take a look at my 40 if you need ideas.

Thanks dude. Loved the tank. I used to be into retrofits myself before leds were big.

+1 for Oceans by Design. What kind of overflow did you have them make you? I actually had them build me a custom sump and 10g tank a while back that I never set up. Lately I've been considering picking up a 40b to set up as the display instead to have more space. I've been looking over my overflow options so I'm very curious to see what you went with.

+1 for Oceans by Design. What kind of overflow did you have them make you? I actually had them build me a custom sump and 10g tank a while back that I never set up. Lately I've been considering picking up a 40b to set up as the display instead to have more space. I've been looking over my overflow options so I'm very curious to see what you went with.

I'm having them build me one of their custom laser cut one in the center of the back of the aquarium. And two inch and a half drains. We didn't drill a hole for the return, however I think I may have them do it now. I started out with a ten and I loved it. I thought it was the easiest to take care of and it grew tons of coraline. I think for a nano you cant go wrong with a 40. I love how shallow it is.

So I've decided on my light. I may end up getting two but I'm fairly confident from research it'll grow SPS.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FHDEAFQ?cache=50a82a4c4560d34568a7502ae367fda9π=SX200_QL40&qid=1413160626&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I may also combine it with my current usa marine orbit fixture as that one can ramp up from 0 to 100 percent. If I do that ill have the aquamana on timers to turn on after that so my fish aren't shocked awake.

So I ordered an oceanrevive t247 today. 120w led light. The company seems okay and the only reason I didn't buy the aquamana from amazon was because I liked oceanrecive's design and built in timer. And on sale for 158 was nice. I wouldn't have bought for the normal price of 200. Anyway that's on the way. Decided to diy my stand so I'll be picking up wood at the home depot tomorrow. But you all don't come here to read! You come for pictures!

I hate using frag glue so I started to drill holes into smaller rocks I have so I can use them as a sort of organic frag rack. I know, not original, but I'm keeping myself busy. Just got out of the navy and don't start my new job until the 20th.

20141013_141453_zpsxrbkobqz.jpg

I'll try to have an update on the stand tomorrow. Thanks for looking!!

It's Christmas! Got my new light today. Ocean revive t247 120 watt led. It has a built in timer and was on sale. Hard to beat.

20141016_102636_zpsgchd1egh.jpg

20141016_102757_zpsklzj0qlv.jpg

And tomorrow I will receive my aquarium silicone and baffles so that I can finally put my 20 long sump together. Yay!

20141016_143343_zpsuire6o3d.jpg

Well ladies N gents. Today is the day for my very first sump build! I think I'm ready! Going to have a bubble trap, a fuge and a return area. Wish me luck, give me tips. It's all appreciated...

20141018_123819_zpspnxqchbm.jpg

Update with the finished product soon, stay tuned...

herewego_zpsgceyrvpt.jpg

I hope you are more capable with a caulk gun and silicon than I am. I've built 3 sumps from scratch and none of them are pretty. LOL. They all got the job done though. Hey, isn't that what cabinet doors are for?

I'm going to try and make it as pretty as I can, but I have to admit, I am not much of a diy guy. I have this vision of a flawless sump with a beautiful "planted" refugium with different types of macro algae. We shall see lol. But yes, I will make sure it can be hidden.

Here it is! Turns out I was terrible with a caulking gun, but got pretty good at it by my last baffle that separates my fuge and return.

20141019_125917_zps8t7okjw0.jpg

My overflow finally got done. Here she blow!

20141026_183245_zpsahbaydfs.jpg

20141026_183733_zpsywjbymmt.jpg

So I am still completely new to this plumbing deal. Anyone have advice? I have a threaded and a slip bulkhead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
mystersyster

I'm back. Just moved into a new apartment and got the go ahead from the wife to set it up. Just finished cementing the main drain together. On to the second...

20150821_084028_zpswlpkqwpw.jpg

20150821_173628_zpshb0oll1u.jpg

20150822_191221_zps7qijgdmp.jpg

Archived