ReefCleaners.org

Inverts

2joey99

CronicReefer

I would recommend sticking to another shrimp of the same species. I watched my cleaner shrimp rip pair apart a coral banded shrimp the day after he molted when he came to their side of the tank. With that said I do think camel back shrimp are pretty neat but they are not always reef safe.

I'm pretty sure fire shrimp won't tolerate another one unless they're a pair. All cleaner and banded coral shrimp are territorial like this as far as I've seen.

IIRC, fire shrimp are hermaphrodites, so you could add a second and they may be a bit more active in your display.

OR....

If you have something to host them, a mated pair of anemone shrimp can be spectacular in a smaller tank like yours. A ricordea garden, maxi-mini/mini-mini or rock flower anemone patch should be accepted and shouldn't cause territory fights between them and your clownfish.

I have had a single fire shrimp and a red-spotted anemone shrimp (periclimenes yucatanicus, a Caribbean cousin of the more widely known Pederson's) in my 9-gallon reef for about 6 months so far - no marked aggression, although the fire shrimp will warn away the anemone shrimp if it ventures too close (defined as about 2-3"). Bonus in that the ricordeas have split several times since adding the anemone shrimp... it'll jam food down into the corals at feeding time and then forget about it long enough for it to be consumed by the rics instead. Better than target feeding! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived