Top Shelf Aquatics

snowflake eel tank mates?

Veezley

I have 3 snowflake eels in a 40 gallon tank. I am almost through my 1st water cycle since I got them. They seem pretty happy and love swimming around all over the tank and are eating the frozen krill like starving little guys. They are the only thing in the tank right now. But I want to start doing some research on some tank mates for them. Any suggestions? (this may sound kind of odd but the uglier the fish the better. I have a ugly-cute thing)

Get a 125 gallon tank. They get long fast. I had one grow to two feet fairly quickly. Mine was housed with a large tomato clown. Also a tight fitting lid.

I haven't got the space for a tank quite that big yet but they are babies right now. I should be looking at upgrading to a bigger tank in about 6 months or so once the space becomes available. Any ugly-cute fish i can throw in with them now?

What are you Japanese? Jesus.

What's the emoticon for a face palm?

It is actually a 40 gallon. That was a typo on my part. But never the less what do you mean, what is with the obivous sarcasm in your statement?

I feel as if the tang police will split up and half a few members become the eel police due to this.*obvious sarcasm* and The reason Formula said that is because(No Racism and not made to be Offensive) Japanese people like to push the limits and get some pretty good sized fish in smaller tanks.But I agree trade in two eels for a coral frag or two and maybe like a Tomato Clown as someone else said

.... 3 eels in a 40 gallon tank. ....almost through my 1st water cycle ....

research is a very important thing in this hobby. youre heading in the right direction by being on this forum but you are on it for the wrong reason. look up "cycling" and eel requirements. please.

I'll tell you the most perfect ugly odd fish ever is... :P

but I don't think there is room for it in your 40 gallon with three eels!!!

ok so I guess upgrading my tank is my first priority cause I can't get rid of any of them. I love them too much. Lock, Shock, and Barrel were a birthday gift cause I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them. But some suggestions on tank mates for the future would be great. As many ideas as you guys can come up with would be great so I can start researching now since didn't do enough research on the snowflakes before I got them.

If your tank is almost done with it's "first" cycle, they won't live long enough for the upgrade. Sorry to be a downer, but mistakes are punished far more harshly in saltwater tanks than freshwater. If you really love these eels, you will trade them in or sell them for some hardier, easy to maintain fish and maybe some better equipment. Then take the time to really learn what it takes to maintain a saltwater aquarium and in a year decide if you want to keep eels again.

I'll tell you the most perfect ugly odd fish ever is... :P

but I don't think there is room for it in your 40 gallon with three eels!!!

If you could tell me I would appreciate it so I can start researching it for after I upgrade my tank.

How long exactly have you had them?

You joined just yesterday, have 6 posts.

Now normally I wouldnt hold that against a true noob, but something smells like unagi with this thread.

My snowflakes back in the day never stayed in the tanks long enough to get attached to them. Didnt matter what size, I had them in a 30 and a 150. All of them thought the tanks they were in were too small and they all went roaming. Eel jerky.

If you are serious, any aggressive fish larger than the eels should fare ok, large damsels, lion fish, panther grouper. Or puffers and box fish.

How long exactly have you had them?

I have had them since Sept 13th of this year. And the top of their tank is sealed pretty good so they can't get out. But they never seem to try.

OMG - my daughter somehow convinced me to buy this adorable teeny tiny snowflake eel. After about 8 weeks it literally was like a foot long - my bio load was a mess and the water actually smelled gross. I couldn't catch it so I left the lid off hoping it would jump - it never did. Finally I held a big chunk of shrimp over the tank and when it swam up to get it my husband was able to net it - throw it in a bucket and haul it to the pet store. Gross experience, never again, yuck. Seriously 3 ??? I agree with the others take at least 2 back. They grow fast!!!

Archived