Coral Vue Hydros

Sailfin tang loosing skin

Fishchick

I just got two sailfin tang with loss of skin on the face of one and on the. Face and skin of the other. For the past 3 days I've been using Melafix. Any medication I should be using? They are doing very well swimming the same as the other fish. They are acting normally and eating well. My water is pristine, all the parameters are perfect. Salinity is at 25.post-85913-0-95109200-1412210908_thumb.jpg

Make sure their diet is good. Definitely keep the water quality high, like Ben said. And if you're not already using Selcon and a vitamin supplement, maybe start?

Any particular vitamin supplement you can suggest that these guys would eat? Where to find Selcon?

I use Vita-Chem, but there are a few really good ones! I ordered Selcon from Bulk Reef Supply. That's because I was living in Ithaca and our LFS sucked. I'm sure you can look around and find it near the food/supplements, though. And if you were planning a $50 purchase soon, DrsFosterSmith.com has free shipping!

Going by that photo, I'd say it'll take a few months for them to recover but so long as you keep them well fed and in clean water, you should be alright. My clowns, for example, developed it when I was gone for two or three weeks this last winter break and my roommates didn't feed them a single time. Fun. They'd only been in the tank a couple of months and were barely an inch long, so their energy reserves were not able to keep up. The larger one has just now cleared up of the symptoms, but the smaller one still has a couple of months to go. One side has cleared up and the other still has the pitting and a light scar along the lateral line that are healing up slowly but surely. They are, of course, ecstatic about all the yummy food. And the pods that get Seachem Phytoplankton and any leftovers so they're nice and fat when the clowns munch on them.

Started feeding them the anti-bacterial pellets that I already had, ordered the other two items which are being shipped now! Still put Melafix in today.

Started feeding them the anti-bacterial pellets that I already had, ordered the other two items which are being shipped now! Still put Melafix in today.

I'd probably go easy on the Melafix. It's a cell irritant that tries to get them to regenerate more quickly, and if they don't have the nutrition to make healthy cells in the first place it won't be much good. Plus, if you're using carbon then it's most likely getting sucked out of the water anyway. Any reason for the anti-bacterial pellets? I don't know much about tangs, but don't they need gut flora as well? Actually, that reminds me. What do you feed them? A high-quality diet meant specifically for them (so not carnivores or anything) would be good.

Good luck!

Archived