ReefCleaners.org

Live Brine Shrimp - Storing?

shawnriv

Hi Everyone,

I am picking up a new fish tomorrow and he'll be in quarantine for a few weeks. I have read they are picky eaters and I've read feeding newcomers live brine shrimp is a good first step. I picked up some today from LFS and I never realized how much there is one scoop. I only have two true percula clowns in my display tank and gave them the smallest amount and they had a field day. My LFS owner said live brine shrimp only live for 3-4 days. Is there a way I can store them alive (without freezing)?

I attached a picture just so you could see.

hello shawn...

"....adults can live up to four months if maintained in good condition" the plankton culture manual. florida aqua farms.

you can keep them in tankwater. in a jar, with slight aeration. 2-3 bubbles per second, no airstone.

if you don't have an air pump, keep them in a shallow container, so they get oxygen.

before you feed them to your fish, feed the brine shrimp first. if you have a phyto plex for your filter feeders(?) give them a few drops.

brine shrimp will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths. finely crushed fish flakes is an easy food for them. gut loading prey items increases their nutritional value.

hope this helps. live food is a good idea.

Archived