Innovative Marine Aquariums

Should I get the second hole for sump drilled?

Tropi

So my custom tank came in at the store a couple of weeks ago and only had one hole drilled for the sump in the corner and they kept telling me it would have two, one on each side, the overflow and return. He showed me some nozzle thing that I bought to hang over the back for the return with a hose attached to it, but now I'm wondering if I should get it sent back for a second hole to be drilled or am I being to picky, I'm thinking if I have to have something hang on the back then I could have just got a hang on back overflow box and saved myself some money.

Another worry is also that the hole is a 40mm one I think so would the water flow down to the sump faster than the return pump can get it up a hose (that's smaller than the overflow pipe) if that makes any sense.

So if it was you would you get the second hole drilled or make do with the one? if I sent it back it would probably take another few weeks and I've already waited over a month for it so far.

Pic of the tank if it helps, not a very good one though.

IMG_2777_zps0b5f1a9e.jpg

If you paid for a second hole, I would send it back for the second hole and not accept a "fix" where you have to pay a second time.

As for the hole size, the overflow can only drain what the return pump can supply. You need to be more concerned with a pump that returns water faster than the overflow can drain it.

So my custom tank came in at the store a couple of weeks ago and only had one hole drilled for the sump in the corner and they kept telling me it would have two, one on each side, the overflow and return. He showed me some nozzle thing that I bought to hang over the back for the return with a hose attached to it, but now I'm wondering if I should get it sent back for a second hole to be drilled or am I being to picky, I'm thinking if I have to have something hang on the back then I could have just got a hang on back overflow box and saved myself some money.

Another worry is also that the hole is a 40mm one I think so would the water flow down to the sump faster than the return pump can get it up a hose (that's smaller than the overflow pipe) if that makes any sense.

So if it was you would you get the second hole drilled or make do with the one? if I sent it back it would probably take another few weeks and I've already waited over a month for it so far.

Pic of the tank if it helps, not a very good one though.

IMG_2777_zps0b5f1a9e.jpg

A rimless with a over the back return is just stupid. Send that back for another hole. 1 or 2 for the drain and 1 for the return.

Thanks guys

It's such a pain, the store is a bit over a half hour drive away, I went in there after work today to ask if it was to late to get it sent back for a second hole to be drilled but I have to wait until the weekend or Monday for the boss to be in to find out, since they don't know if they have to take the tank apart again to be able to safely drill that panel. If they say I can't get it done I might just have to suck it up and deal with the noozle :(

I was going to get them to buy the piping to fit the plumbing for me but now I'm thinking I might just have a go at doing the plumbing myself so I get it the way I like and not how theirs are all done. Don't have a clue how to do it but I'm sure when the time comes and with the help from all you guys it should be possible :)

Here's a pic I took of the nozzle today so you can see what it is.

IMG_2925_zpsb253d8c3.jpg

Thanks guys

It's such a pain, the store is a bit over a half hour drive away, I went in there after work today to ask if it was to late to get it sent back for a second hole to be drilled but I have to wait until the weekend or Monday for the boss to be in to find out, since they don't know if they have to take the tank apart again to be able to safely drill that panel. If they say I can't get it done I might just have to suck it up and deal with the noozle :(

I was going to get them to buy the piping to fit the plumbing for me but now I'm thinking I might just have a go at doing the plumbing myself so I get it the way I like and not how theirs are all done. Don't have a clue how to do it but I'm sure when the time comes and with the help from all you guys it should be possible :)

IMG_2925_zpsb253d8c3.jpg

Of course they will tell you it will be a problem they don't want to do it. I know what the return piping looks like. Tanks have progressed alot in the years and a over the back return is the old way. Might as well just put a heater and power heads with cords in there if you're going to do that. In the end it's your tank not ours.

Thanks guys

There is no need to take the tank apart to drill a hole if they know what they are doing. You could just take the tank in and tell them to either get a second hole put in or refund your money. If you paid with a credit card, you have the option of filing a dispute. Tell them you paid for it to have two holes and they are not providing what you paid for. But any reputable store will take care of it. Just be firm and not accept any fixes.

I wouldn't use that return, it will siphon down to the nozzle when power goes off where with a drilled return you an place the Loc Line nearer the surface to limit the amount of backsiphonage and not cause a flood in the sump. Not to mention it will be ugly as heck and stck out like a sore thumb, everyone's eyes will be drawn to it and not your reef.

Thanks guys and sorry I'm so late at replying, I finally got to see the boss about my tank yesterday and he'll be getting the drill brought with my stand when it gets delivered on Friday and said he'll get the second hole drilled and it should only take a couple minutes.

So I'm relieved that it wont have to be sent back to be done and finally it looks like I'll be bring my tank, sump and stand home next week.

Thanks guys

It's such a pain, the store is a bit over a half hour drive away, I went in there after work today to ask if it was to late to get it sent back for a second hole to be drilled but I have to wait until the

IMG_2925_zpsb253d8c3.jpg

That is unacceptable to me.

Regarding your half hour drive. Thats nothing, get used to that and enjoy drive. Combine it with some other activity. Youll soon consider that short jaunt nothing when you're driving much further to check out a new reef store 1 to 2 hours away.

The tank Im working on now is either an ADA in San Francisco or an Elos in San Diego. Half hour is nothing.

Thanks guys and sorry I'm so late at replying, I finally got to see the boss about my tank yesterday and he'll be getting the drill brought with my stand when it gets delivered on Friday and said he'll get the second hole drilled and it should only take a couple minutes.So I'm relieved that it wont have to be sent back to be done and finally it looks like I'll be bring my tank, sump and stand home next week.
Good, glad the store guy was not a nozzle.

Archived