SaltCritters.com

Multiple issues/identifications

slackcub

Hey everyone, not sure if I should split this up or not, but here's what I'm seeing:

1) There are a lot of light spots on the glass. They are a very light pink/purple color, and all over the glass.

post-85765-0-88091000-1412135648_thumb.jpg

2) There is a growing amount of vegetation on one of the LR and I'm wanting to know what I should do to make sure it stays in check/doesn't spread. You can see the extent of it in the broad picture, but I also found some of it sneaking inbetween a couple of the LR.

post-85765-0-12019100-1412135640_thumb.jpg

post-85765-0-37874000-1412135648_thumb.jpg

3) in the last picture, you'll see this little guy that has tagged along with something. Looks like Aiptasia. Can I get a confirmation?

post-85765-0-39837500-1412135649_thumb.jpg

1 = Pink spots are Coraline Algae, its a good thing but you can scrape it off if you wish. The other spots are algae growing on the glass.

2 = The first picture is GHA (green hair algae), the second picture looks like Caulerpa. GHA can quickly get out of hand with high nutrients in the water and Caulerpa is invasive in most cases. Reducing your light period and reducing the feeding will help keep the GHA in check, adding a phosphate reducer will help also. You will have to manually remove the Caulerpa by hand (you can also do the same with the GHA).

3 = Yep, Aiptasia.

1 = Pink spots are Coraline Algae, its a good thing but you can scrape it off if you wish. The other spots are algae growing on the glass.

2 = The first picture is GHA (green hair algae), the second picture looks like Caulerpa. GHA can quickly get out of hand with high nutrients in the water and Caulerpa is invasive in most cases. Reducing your light period and reducing the feeding will help keep the GHA in check, adding a phosphate reducer will help also. You will have to manually remove the Caulerpa by hand (you can also do the same with the GHA).

3 = Yep, Aiptasia.

yep

ok.. apparently my reply from last night disappeared :{ let's try this again!

The coraline algae is rather wide spread and is making the tank look rather unclean. I'll have to figure a way to get it off. Is there any invertebrates that will eat it or the GHA/Caulerpa? I guess that rock will be coming out for a serious cleaning as it has both the main GHA colony and the aiptaisa on it.

You can easily scrape off the coraline algae with a razor blade or an aquarium glass scraper. Lots of species or urchin will eat it also, some will even go after the GHA as well. Hermits will take out GHA also, it it is not growing faster then they can eat it. As for Caulerpa, there is not much at all that will eat it, that is why it is so invasive but can make a great macro-algae for a refugium as long as you don't let it get into the display tank. If you can take the rock out I would do a peroxide dip to kill off the GHA, Caulerpa and the Aiptasia. Alternatively a phosphate removed wiil help kill off the GHA but wont help on the other two fronts.

Apparently my hermits don't like the GHA, cause they aren't eating it, or it's growing too fast. I'll have to look into a peroxide dip. I guess a big cleaning is in order.

The pic is small so can't be sure but It looks kinda like bryopsis not GHA. If that is the case... I would just remove the rock it is on and do a tank water + peroxide dip.

I would do at least 20% peroxide/80% water up to 50%/50% for 5 min.

A razor or scraper will get the coralline off.

Apparently my hermits don't like the GHA, cause they aren't eating it, or it's growing too fast. I'll have to look into a peroxide dip. I guess a big cleaning is in order.

Kill the Caulerpa quickly, it will take over.

Hair algae is part of a new tank. Tolerate or hand remove. Thin Striped hermits will eat it, but they get big. Really big. :)

Coraline is a sign of a healthy tank, most of us jump for joy when we see it. If this is a glass tank then get a hand scraper or a nice magnetic cleaner to clean the glass. Do this on a regular basis and the coraline won't have a chance.

An Urchin, like a Tuxedo Urchin, will eat coraline and hair algae and possibly Caulerpa but like any animal it's hit or miss.

Archived