inTank Media Baskets

ReefDoctor's Fluval Edge 12G

ReefDoctor

After several months of researching, reading forums, and reading books, I decided to embark on my first saltwater aquarium. You guys may have seen me lurking in the forums and asking cycling questions. I got attracted to the Fluval Edge because I'm a stickler for minimalism and aesthetics and I wanted something that would enhance my decor instead of take away from it.

During my countless hours of googling, I came across Saltwater Conversions created by Neill Wainright which has an all-inclusive marine upgrade to the original Fluval Edge to really pimp it out. Its pricey, but definitely worth it for what I wanted.

My tank got set up August 17, 2014 with (dead) base rock and sand and a long cycle where my ammonia hit 8 ppm before zeroing out and then followed with an off the charts nitrite readings. Since then its levelled off and now my readings are 0-0-5.

10 days ago, I added a hermit crab and a trochus snail (RIP) and 3 days ago, one orange and one black false percula anemone fish which I have named Sushi and Sashimi. Hermit crab is doing well, and so are the fish but the trochus did not survive long. Coral are coming in a week or two once things stabilize.

Display: Fluval Edge II 12 gallon tank

Return pump: Eheim AEH1001310 Compact Water Pump 600 for Aquarium

Skimmer: Mame-design Skimmer III powered by Coralife (Energy Savers) ACL01655 Luft Pump (the air pump is quite loud. Is there anything that's quieter?)

Heat: Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 50W

Light: 48 leds (24 chips 10000-14000K + 24 chips 455-465nm included with Marine Pac III

Looking forward to keeping this thread going as my reef expands and grows! Your inputs are always welcome.

Cheers

PS. Special thanks to Neill for all his hard work and great customer service!

post-85507-0-26056100-1412124370_thumb.jpg

Got my first two corals today:

A branching hammer coral and an open brain coral! I also got my first hitch hiker -- stomatella snail! My water is quite cloudy however (a milky white colour). I put in a pack of Purigen and also changed up my filter floss to see if that would help. The sand got stirred around a bit too so I'm wondering if its just particulate matter. To corals look OK I guess. They're both quite open so that's reassuring...

Just watching the tank now...

post-85507-0-94855000-1412554198_thumb.jpg

post-85507-0-20849300-1412554201_thumb.jpg

post-85507-0-83395200-1412554203_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a little while since I updated my tank thread. I had a bit of an algae outbreak which was what I assume to be an excess of phosphates. I have a test kit that reads zero, but since I put in some SeaGel, it seems to be doing excellent. The algae has been clearing up over the last week.

I added a cleaner shrimp, two cerith snails and most recently a little ricordia mushroom, some polyps and two other euphyllias.

post-85507-0-83479700-1414335320_thumb.jpg

Hi ReefDR,

I am excited to see you are up and running with your MP3... Did you find a way to dim lights or are you still waiting for the saltwater conversions solution? I am still trying to decide on a way to program my lights.

Your tank is looking good! I will be following your progress.

Well, I think my torch coral has brown jelly disease. It happened the morning I was leaving for vacation so I couldn't really do much to change water. My other corals seem to be thriving so I don't know what's up. Hopefully my tank won't crash by next Sunday.

post-85507-0-02847300-1415462175_thumb.jpg

sorry, but i think this tank isnt suitable for saltwater aquarium...

Why do you say that? I have a very successful Fluval Edge 6. The "tank" has nothing to do with it.

Archived