ReefCleaners.org

(HELP HELP)Frag Tank Build (nano) (if wrong section please move) Sorry!

B-Lek

Hello all I've followed the nano-reef forums for quite some time now, my 14g biocube is just now a year old, and I'm out growing it... naturally. I've developed quite a fancy for frags, nothing extreme all lps and softies. I've been trying to build a frag tank for some time now. But I am more the measure twice cut once type of person. I had a 5.5g and 10g sitting around, I know the 10 would be a better option for a frag, but one of my cichlids ended up holding so it's now back into fry mode... Long story short. I have a spare AC 50, have a 5.5 with egg crate all set up, painted black, can handle LR rubble, and every other aspect, the issue I'm having is lighting.

I have a few zoas and palys and acans that may be considered higher end? Blue hornets, Red Hornets, Rainbow Palys, Gobstopper Palys, Solar Eclipse Zoas, Smurfs, Lunar Eclipse, Hiawian Sticky Punch Palys, Darth Maul Palys.Keds Reds... Starting the grow out.... and the average joes eagle eyes, fire and ice, green nukes, green buttons etc.

The 5.5 is ready to light, but Im budget tight (surprise surprise)

I was thing Wave-Point HO 10k (LED 16watt fixture with mounts) Then add some blue leds.

$70

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZK80VY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or

Current USA orbit 18''-24'' controllable etc..

at $108

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GFTK7CQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BNS86D4V4GO1

or

I have an old Power compact lighting fixture (seasonal depression type) that I can find a 50/50 bulb for, one socket and 4 tubes on it for about 60 bucks.

or

if it's really what I should do, get a reed breeders LED controllable etc, or the AI prime. On a larger cube etc.

What do I do... I really wish someone could say heres my small frag setup and this has worked for me...

I'm not keen on it but if I should get a deep blue 12x12x12 or a 15l or 20l and run the ac on that and then get the new AI prime for $200... It's what I have to do....

I want efficiency

I just want to see results from this and not loose "higher" end colonies I've started to develop I have 5 tanks already space is kind of an issue.

One LFS says go wave point one says go orbit one says your wasting time... Go PC, etc... And I've searched and searched and I cant find compact frag tanks that have achieved results with a straight answer. HELP HELP HELP!!!!! Going for AIO and no sump (movable)! I trust and value opinions more here than in "real" life hahaha

Archived