Innovative Marine Aquariums

fish deaths

MadReefer13

so everytime i add a fish they wont eat and end up dieing off. all levles are good and cant figgure this out bugging me bad .lost a clown two wrasses and a bleeny in about three weeks. all my corals are growing and doing better then great just my fish are all dead and gone. gonna test again right now and ill post up soon.

Perhaps allow your tank to chill without fish for a few months. It could be a parasite or ich and without fish hopefully whatever is causing your deaths will die off without a host. Hope you can get to the bottom of it, I've had my share of issues with fish and not coral when I switched to my larger current system. Just bad luck and poor practice of not doing a proper quarantine got me in trouble.

Also, a lot of times low PH can cause extra stress on new fish. Check to ensure your PH is stable most reef fish can live happily in a PH range of 7.9 to 8.4 which is a pretty wide range so make sure you also acclimate slowly depending on what your LFS PH is, it could play a large role in fish deaths.

Do your fish appear to be gasping for breaths towards the end, any redness at the gills? (both indicators of low PH)

Perhaps allow your tank to chill without fish for a few months. It could be a parasite or ich and without fish hopefully whatever is causing your deaths will die off without a host. Hope you can get to the bottom of it, I've had my share of issues with fish and not coral when I switched to my larger current system. Just bad luck and poor practice of not doing a proper quarantine got me in trouble.

Also, a lot of times low PH can cause extra stress on new fish. Check to ensure your PH is stable most reef fish can live happily in a PH range of 7.9 to 8.4 which is a pretty wide range so make sure you also acclimate slowly depending on what your LFS PH is, it could play a large role in fish deaths.

Do your fish appear to be gasping for breaths towards the end, any redness at the gills? (both indicators of low PH)

yes they are gasping forsure i noticed that and knew it wasent good

no all added seprate

When you say added separate, how much time between each fish? You need to give the tank time to adjust to new bioload before adding more. I have heard recommended time of up to 30 days, depending on the tank size and the type of fish added.

one wrasse was added awhile ago..the other wrasse and bleeny were added the sametime like a month after the first wrasse.the two wrasses both died two days apart the benny lasted about a week and a half later then passed waited few days then added the clown died today think two days only im done with fish till figgure it out..i hate seein a fish die in my care just like loosing a dog or anything ealse

When you say added separate, how much time between each fish? You need to give the tank time to adjust to new bioload before adding more. I have heard recommended time of up to 30 days, depending on the tank size and the type of fish added.

Sounds to me like you introduced a disease with the wrasse/blenny combo. Your first wrasse lived for a month, then you added 2 fish and all of them started dying. Introduction of a new fish also resulted in its death. Sounds like disease.

Sounds to me like you introduced a disease with the wrasse/blenny combo. Your first wrasse lived for a month, then you added 2 fish and all of them started dying. Introduction of a new fish also resulted in its death. Sounds like disease.

yea thinking so also a guy i know i bought the fish from told me three days later they were wild caught bigg nono right?

Wild caught doesn't necessarily mean no-no, in this case it was that you got sick fish and didn't quarantine them before adding them to your display tank. You should wait 12 weeks at this point before adding any fish. They'll just get sick if you do. 12 weeks is on the long end, with most recommendations between 8 and 10 weeks. But 12 weeks guarantees that the fallow period is legit. It'll allow for any cysts or parasites to die off.

DO NOT ADD A FISH TO YOUR TANK UNTIL AFTER DECEMBER 23rd. You may as well wait until January 1st.

When you do decide to buy another fish, you should set up a quarantine tank. Google them and find out what size tank you'll need for the fish you want, etc. Every fish you buy should be quarantined for a couple of weeks before adding it to your display tank.

so inverts wont get it right? im just gonna leave the tank fishless for its life no more fish ever

Wild caught doesn't necessarily mean no-no, in this case it was that you got sick fish and didn't quarantine them before adding them to your display tank. You should wait 12 weeks at this point before adding any fish. They'll just get sick if you do. 12 weeks is on the long end, with most recommendations between 8 and 10 weeks. But 12 weeks guarantees that the fallow period is legit. It'll allow for any cysts or parasites to die off.

DO NOT ADD A FISH TO YOUR TANK UNTIL AFTER DECEMBER 23rd. You may as well wait until January 1st.

When you do decide to buy another fish, you should set up a quarantine tank. Google them and find out what size tank you'll need for the fish you want, etc. Every fish you buy should be quarantined for a couple of weeks before adding it to your display tank.

so inverts wont get it right? im just gonna leave the tank fishless for its life no more fish ever

Inverts will not get it, and you can absolutely have fish later, but you need to wait until the new year.

Losing animals sucks, but in this hobby it happens. You just have to make sure you are taking the right precautions ahead of time so that you minimize the chance of their death.

Inverts will not get it, and you can absolutely have fish later, but you need to wait until the new year.

Losing animals sucks, but in this hobby it happens. You just have to make sure you are taking the right precautions ahead of time so that you minimize the chance of their death.

yes forsure. if i do add fish itll be atleast till the 1st the year probley go even longer give it no chance at all...is there anyway finding out what it is pestwise? dont think so but hey what do i know

Not unless you have access to a lab. Too much trouble to try and figure it out, not to mention cost. Just keep that tank stable, good water conditions and let it fallow. It'll be safe in a few months.

There are some fish diseases fallow periods do not apply to and live in a tank indefinitely, uronema marinum is one. Unless the fishes died with open wounds within 48 hrs probably not that though.

• 4 weeks later...

theres like three diffrent kinds some lil like grayesh ones and some bigger white ones

Are they little white bugs? If so, you might be experiencing a pod population bloom because there are no predators to eat them.

Can you get pictures of them?

maybe most leave after lights on but two live in my temp gauge they look like tiny shrimp the two that are always there the never leave the temp gauge

can the mess with zoas for some damn reason my zoas wont open for life of me. i've tried everything moving my lights up and down nothing. they get hella long sometimes and just never open

They're probably pods then.

Archived