Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

You're right! Spongodes is looking good. The monti cap was that grafted one right? Cyphastrea is LPS. What is a blue haze?

Yehp, one actually grafted piece and one red that had the teeniest chip of green to it. The blue haze (apparently it's actually purple haze, my bad?) is an encrusting monti. Remember the $10 frag I picked up at RAP NY? There's an even tinier frag that's almost ready to go to holy carp, actually!

Seems like in higher nutrients it turns that wine-purple color the polyps have, and in more light with (regular/lower nutrients) the flesh turns that pale blue color that HC was looking for :P

• 1 month later...

Whats the waitlist look like atm Kat?

I need another frag of that and the kitty.

I am not ashamed I cried when I had to sell them when I moved. Those and my rabbitfish had me so upset.

Anyhow, what's your rough guess on a wait time? 6 months? 7? less? more?

Just pre-planning over here... :ninja: After all, I don't even have a house, let alone the tank being wet yet... :(

• Like 1

Whats the waitlist look like atm Kat?

I need another frag of that and the kitty.

I am not ashamed I cried when I had to sell them when I moved. Those and my rabbitfish had me so upset.

Anyhow, what's your rough guess on a wait time? 6 months? 7? less? more?

Just pre-planning over here... :ninja: After all, I don't even have a house, let alone the tank being wet yet... :(

Let me know when you're ready. :)

• Like 1

Dang that's a crazy acro. Do these ship well, or is it the same as other SC morphs (browning)? :scarry:

30271812880_0f505f36d1.jpg

When I put mine in last year. Keeps its color. Pretty right out of the box.

• Like 1

My latest. It's growing fast now and I've added Nitrate (CaNO3) which has boosted the greens a bit. Not every acro likes elevated nitrates, unfortunately.

VD62BT6.jpg

• Like 4

Is this the Katropora show-off thread? :D

This is from Sept 4

29370082071_73541670b9_h.jpg

Dang that's a crazy acro. Do these ship well, or is it the same as other SC morphs (browning)? :scarry:

This isn't a shortcake though. The color can make you feel that way, but this is an Acropora Subulata.

It doesn't 'brown' during shipping in my experience, but it will need some time to adjust to the new tank, the different lights.

October 19

30462226566_8a5693b6b1_h.jpg

• Like 5

My latest. It's growing fast now and I've added Nitrate (CaNO3) which has boosted the greens a bit. Not every acro likes elevated nitrates, unfortunately.

VD62BT6.jpg

Beautiful!!!!

• Like 2

What are y'alls parameters usually? I know we had thought mine was lighter due to low nitrates and I think they were pretty low when I sold the tank... I can't remember what I was testing at. I'm hoping to keep the color better this time around.

VD62BT6.jpg

Mark, what acros have done well with "dirtier" water for you?

• Like 1

What are y'alls parameters usually? I know we had thought mine was lighter due to low nitrates and I think they were pretty low when I sold the tank... I can't remember what I was testing at. I'm hoping to keep the color better this time around.

Mark, what acros have done well with "dirtier" water for you?

My params are

KH 6.7

PO4 .02 - .04

NO3 0 to 1

When I add Nitrates any acro that's been in the hobby a while tends to do better including a Hawkins Echinata, Red Robin, Slimer (of course). Maricultured or frags from an unknown source vary. The red/pink coral to the upper left in that photo seems to fade just a tad (wild caught), and a known maricultured piece gets bluer tips but the body remains brown. The closer a coral is to live caught the worse the apparent reaction to NO3 higher than natural, at least from my experience.

I do think it will be random though since corals haven't adapted to higher nitrates. Many of the acros that do well in the hobby are also ones that do well with elevated params, which is not surprising.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Note sure this is better color or not, but it's getting bigger. :)

Di2zltp.jpg

Still growing fast, having to push other corals out of the way. :D Now that the top has repaired itself it's putting on a ton of new growth as well. This is going to be one big colony.

CzWgxxl.jpg

• Like 6

Still growing fast, having to push other corals out of the way. :D Now that the top has repaired itself it's putting on a ton of new growth as well. This is going to be one big colony.

Making up for lost time I see :)

• Like 1