Cultivated Reef

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

duncan-junkie

What lights were you running?

What number am I?

All LED's.......I was't getting the best growth, or color.....so I went back to what had given me the best results(T5's). I was also having problems with shadowing on my bigger colonies.

SpankythePyro

I'm dosing Nitrates (CaNO3) to keep mine at 5 and let the biopellets keep them there and reduce PO4 at the same time. The Katropora loves higher Nitrates.

August 5th, low nitrates

Tit7Vt.jpg

August 19th, Nitrates = 4

0OJRWc.jpg

It's also growing a bit faster than i thought it was.

I was about to say... so what you're telling me is I need to buy some CaNo3 and a Kat

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I did some tank work today, so of course my skimmer is all like "peace out, see you in a week!". It likes to take vacations after heavy cleaning... -sigh- But related to the Kat, I exchanged my phosban and carbon today. I dont think the carbon needed it, but I recently noticed an increase in algae growth, so maybe my phosphates are going up. I dont have a test kit for phosphate. I will let you know if the kat gets some color back. All of the tips and polyps are a beautiful purple/blue. Its just the green that seems to have gone away. But all of my green sps are beautiful, so I don't understand...

• Like 1

I did some tank work today, so of course my skimmer is all like "peace out, see you in a week!". It likes to take vacations after heavy cleaning... -sigh- But related to the Kat, I exchanged my phosban and carbon today. I dont think the carbon needed it, but I recently noticed an increase in algae growth, so maybe my phosphates are going up. I dont have a test kit for phosphate. I will let you know if the kat gets some color back. All of the tips and polyps are a beautiful purple/blue. Its just the green that seems to have gone away. But all of my green sps are beautiful, so I don't understand...

I had the same thought a while back. All my corals were showing great colors except this ONE millepora. And To color that idiot up, I dosed Pohls. Disaster. The Kat is supposed to be a deep minty/blue-green. Not really dark, but not pastel either. Markalot swears that the Kat likes nitrates. My phosphates and nitrates are always measurable so there may be something to that.

20150903_102129.jpg

20150903_102123.jpg

I had the same thought a while back. All my corals were showing great colors except this ONE millepora. And To color that idiot up, I dosed Pohls. Disaster. The Kat is supposed to be a deep minty/blue-green. Not really dark, but not pastel either. Markalot swears that the Kat likes nitrates. My phosphates and nitrates are always measurable so there may be something to that.

20150903_102129.jpg

20150903_102123.jpg

Mine right now is looking like the second photo with blues on (whites are still on too though). It used to be I could see it nice and minty top down and a little more (but not much) washed out from the front.

Hopefully a couple weeks will tell. Because I'm pretty sure it washed out in just a few weeks. So hopefully it only takes a few weeks to come back. I was also thinking about KZ Coral Snow (or Ben's version of it). Thoughts? And what is the correlation between water clarity and SPS colors?