inTank Media Baskets

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

My name is Kat and this thread was started for owners and fans of my famous Katropora to chronicle the growth of their frags.

The Katropora was first called Kat's Whaeverata by TheKleinReef. :) this was because I originally called it a nasuta then it was corrected to be a subulata. During the back and forth while people weighed in on the species, Klein got a frag and so he called it the whateverata. :lol:Markalot was the one who first coined Katropora and it stuck. (Thank you Mark)

My colony was a tiny frag I got from Zeph in 2012. Sadly Zeph lost his mother colony but his original frag was from Live Aquaria. The Kat is an Acropora Subulata. You can purchase it from hobbyists or on divers den. Divers Den lists it as raspberry limeaide subulata.

There is a waitlist for the Kat, and that is because I am really reluctant to frag my colony. In Nov 2014 I upgraded from my RSM to a CADlights and in that move the Kat began necrosing and I almost lost it except for 2 small frags. I prayed and cried, finally I grew both into colonies. I call one my display colony and I don't like to touch that, and I have a grow out colony which is where the frags come from whenever it sends out growth tips.

My light is a hybrid - T5s and LEDs. The KAt like a high light and loves a dirty tank.

And now for pictures.

Post 'em up! :)

The colony in 2016

26524458285_6a1abe1421_h.jpg

The colony from 2014

Veng.jpg

• Like 24

i really hate that i received your colony one day before i left for boise. :( i do remember just how excited i was seeing it under my lights for the first time though... when i go home for christmas i can't wait to get some more shots of it!

https://flic.kr/p/pr3KuJ'>15379654606_13eb2c7773_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pr3KuJ'>acclimation july 2014-2 by https://www.flickr.com/people/113969537@N03/'>xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

• Like 6

20140702_181559edit.jpg

^^ July 2014

Sept 2014

20140915_120337.jpg

The flow is making the left side turn inwards, so it resembles a baseball mit shape these days. The big branch on top of the clam is a good 4 inches, nice sized multi branched mini colony.

• Like 5

Mine was at 350 (Maxspect Razor) but has since been backed off to 290 while I acclimate some new corals and see how everything does at lower par. I suppose 290 * 120% is still 348 ... me thinks I forgot to do the 20% blue LED factor last time I measured. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I need to ask where you have these placed in your tanks to maintain the beautiful colors??

I have 2 frags of SSC and both have lost the green color and is a drab pinkish color......

I need to ask where you have these placed in your tanks to maintain the beautiful colors??

I have 2 frags of SSC and both have lost the green color and is a drab pinkish color......

SSC is a real pain to color up. Mine is drab pink as well, with touches of lighter colors. 300 PAR, LED. Katropora is not SSC by the way, much easier to color up.

SSC is a real pain to color up. Mine is drab pink as well, with touches of lighter colors. 300 PAR, LED. Katropora is not SSC by the way, much easier to color up.

Really?

I thought I saw a conversation somewhere, (not here), that this may be a variant of a microlados, a.k.a., strawberry shortcake.

Really?

I thought I saw a conversation somewhere, (not here), that this may be a variant of a microlados, a.k.a., strawberry shortcake.

This has more refined and stem like growth IMO, with polyps close to the stem, while microclados tends to be more table like and have more irregular branches, with lots little stems.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0045

Hmmm, now that I compare pics again I do see a similarity.