ReefCleaners.org

Cruz's GaTech 40B - Back on dry land 5/28/15

cruzH20polo

Went out to Marietta to met up with NorthGaHillbilly over the thanksgiving break, and picked up that acro!

super pumped on it

pics tomorrow

Thanks again man!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad news bears...

I ended up having some medical issues and was hospitalized in SF over the holidays/conference. I had to stay an extra 2 weeks in the bay area before I had clearance to travel back to Atlanta.

The only damage to the tank was the new SPS frag I got from NorthGaHillbilly crapped out (super bummed about that) and some algae growth, there's also some signs of cyano. So either there was a cyano bloom while I was gone, or there's about to be one. I've got a bunch of new water in the mixing tank, so major water changes are on the horizon. Luckily my lab-mates were able to help out and keep the ATO reservoir filled and the fishes feed, the losses were minimal.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear Cruz - glad your doing better though!

Thanks man, Its been kinda slower than anticipated getting back into action, though

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks man, Its been kinda slower than anticipated getting back into action, though

hey man, hate to hear about your troubles. Glad your doing better and back at school.

I went and picked up set of ocellaris clownfish today, also I due to a major outbreak of aptaisa a few peppermint shrimp. I've tried to manually wipe them out with apasiaX but it spread to my sump, and there's just no way I'm gonna be able to find every piece and clean it out, so peppermint shrimp it is. Also my GF got a new camera and she snapped a few pics while I was acclimating!

Posing ... better than any photo than I've ever gotten of the tang

IMG_0281_zps6087286b.jpg

The watchman

IMG_0247_zpsf2c717a8.jpg

getting POed by the tang

IMG_0325_zps43f1a06a.jpg

PPE snaggin some food

IMG_0311_zps39f835b6.jpg

White toady

IMG_0314_zpsf6ba5d23.jpg

FTS, pre-clowns (That cap is slowly getting it's red back!)

IMG_0317_zps1c4d85e6.jpg

Post-clown FTS

IMG_0396_zps50297db6.jpg

hey man, hate to hear about your troubles. Glad your doing better and back at school.

Thanks, yea its good to be back and doing water changes and what not, not so much all the work though

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks, yea its good to be back and doing water changes and what not, not so much all the work though

For sure man. Whered you get the clowns? any pics?

For sure man. Whered you get the clowns? any pics?

Not any good close ups yet,

picked them up from the Fish Store... I'm never 100% sure how I feel about them, it kinda depends on who helps you there I've found

Nice build!

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
cruzH20polo

So its been awhile since I've updated, but I've got a paper submitted and is currently in review and I'm about to submit another one to Nature (so I've been a little busy)

But I picked up some new LPS yesterday and snapped a few pics today after ye good ol water change

New Blueish hammer

IMG_0112_zpssybtfq0k.jpg

Blasto!

IMG_0110_zpsytrbbp7l.jpg

Duncan

IMG_0104_zpsjhhbopg1.jpg

And some other close-ups

Growth on the echinata

IMG_0111_zpswlyyfykf.jpg

red hornets

IMG_0108_zps4eity1rq.jpg

Tubbs are-a growing

IMG_0106_zpshkoofcmy.jpg

Rastas

IMG_0094_zpsii59lxqf.jpg

Lepastra

IMG_0088_zpsmxmkfy8g.jpg

Side view

IMG_0103_zpszd2jtmch.jpg

Angled FTS

IMG_0101_zps4vhfb83g.jpg

FTS

IMG_0098_zpsoigm8snv.jpg

enjoy!

• 1 month later...
cruzH20polo

picked up a few new pieces this past week from reefshaq out in Marietta... hands down the best coral prices in the area and he's a legit guy who actually understands the hobby Ill post pics later today

reefernanoman

Thanks! It's been a slow process but its gaining steam

Nothing good ever happens fast in our hobby. I'm pretty sure that you have heard that before. Slow but nice progress.

cruzH20polo

Nothing good ever happens fast in our hobby. I'm pretty sure that you have heard that before. Slow but nice progress.

Oh I know, I had my old 20L for almost 4 years before i moved out east (I actually really miss that tank), I like to just keep things chugging along!

cruzH20polo

And the picture update as promised...

rainbow micromusa

IMG_0121_zps71ge8i8h.jpg

$10 green acan frag

IMG_0122_zpsxy5qrqsw.jpg

new ric being watched by the watchman

IMG_0125_zpsgonk8ci1.jpg

chilli pepper monti

IMG_0128_zpsj3ice3np.jpg

new hammer

IMG_0177_zpserbxvdrc.jpg

various pics:

blue hammer doing well

IMG_0127_zpszajqdcqt.jpg

Echinata is growing like crazy

IMG_0126_zpsl7rgqaep.jpg

Slimer is still in encrusting mode

IMG_0165_zps9mnyszpd.jpg

dragon breath is recovering well after its run with the echinanta

IMG_0171_zps7ioyq7is.jpg

FTS series

IMG_0162_zps0ets2cx1.jpg

IMG_0160_zps1rn66n8h.jpg

IMG_0144_zpsw1dkoxws.jpg

IMG_0139_zps78tskigt.jpg

I am currently battling a cyano outbreak, I've added the skimmer back to the system to battle dissolved organic phosphate, seeing as how NOx values are almost non-existent. Phosphate is at .04ppm so I am guessing my issues are on the organic side of things seeing as how cyanos are efficient at low nitrogen and have the ability to utilize organic phosphorus. I have cyano-kill, but I am alway skeptical of adding anti-bacterials to aquariums as bacterial are our main source of filtration. I'll give it a few weeks and see if I can't starve it out if not cyano-kill it'll have to be.

cruzH20polo

So Arkayology and I have been working some covert operations to get some high quality SPS out to the Atlanta area, here are the results:

UPS didn't drop the ball!

IMG_0187_zpsnetcn6b6.jpg

frags survived the shipping

IMG_0189_zpsim0plkex.jpg

IMG_0190_zpsnvgmxbco.jpg

The dip

IMG_0192_zpspzkrbsd9.jpg

on the rack

IMG_0193_zpspvbx80c7.jpg

IMG_0194_zpsfhtzp4ny.jpg

IMG_0196_zpsmzudfy89.jpg

IMG_0197_zps9zgji8jc.jpg

IMG_0199_zpsc1uiufjp.jpg

excellent frag sizes! well packaged, nothing broke during cross-country shipping, they are starting to show some PE! these would have seriously cost me an arm and a leg out here, if I could even find them.

Thanks again Ark... I owe you

NP man! I'm glad it worked out well. They look like they will do just fine! Make sure that after you light acclimate that blue stag that it ends up high in the tank - it will turn more blue with more light.

cruzH20polo

NP man! I'm glad it worked out well. They look like they will do just fine! Make sure that after you light acclimate that blue stag that it ends up high in the tank - it will turn more blue with more light.

Will do! yea anything that reflects blue lights needs high PAR values

Archived