Innovative Marine Aquariums

Slight(?) chrisis: little help?

Neebles

I'm not home right now and get a call from my wife that it doesn't look like the returns on my tank are doing anything and the water level looks low. I had her check the sump and sure as shit the water in the return chamber has dropped below the pump. There isn't a ton of water on the floor, but i would estimate being 5-10 gallons short. I just did a water change yesterday. Anyway, I turned off the returns etc via apex fusion, unfortunately this means no heat is going to get to the tank, no skimmer etc. I do have powerheads in the tank itself so thankfully the water won't be stagnant. How long do you think the tank can run like this before it becomes a problem? I will be home later today but not for a couple hours...

ugh unfortunately is clueless when it comes to the tank, she would have to get the RODI hooked up and going, mix salt etc. Saltwater challenged to say the least. Do you think they will be ok for 3-4 hours before I get home?

yes if the water is rolling in the display and you leave the skimmer on

Skimmer is in the sump, I have a screen top though and one of the powerheads is pointed at the surface.

I'll see if she can drop a heater in the display.

Wanna. Keep the sump going also don't want water in there to go bad also right? Then when turn back all on it'll send all that crap water below into the tank won't it?

I'm not home right now and get a call from my wife that it doesn't look like the returns on my tank are doing anything and the water level looks low. I had her check the sump and sure as shit the water in the return chamber has dropped below the pump. There isn't a ton of water on the floor, but i would estimate being 5-10 gallons short. I just did a water change yesterday. Anyway, I turned off the returns etc via apex fusion, unfortunately this means no heat is going to get to the tank, no skimmer etc. I do have powerheads in the tank itself so thankfully the water won't be stagnant. How long do you think the tank can run like this before it becomes a problem? I will be home later today but not for a couple hours...

Since you have powerheads moving in the display, I doubt there would be any problems unless your house is very very cold inside.

Thanks all for your help! I made it home and am currently mixing water. Everything looks fine, no corals are pissed and the fish are acting perfectly normal, so hopefully I'm in the clear.

Thanks all for your help! I made it home and am currently mixing water. Everything looks fine, no corals are pissed and the fish are acting perfectly normal, so hopefully I'm in the clear.

So did you figure out what was the cause?

Also you said that some water had spilled, might be time to invest in a leak detector so if you ever have water overflow anywhere it'll alert you or someone in the house, might even be one that can work with your apex.

Yeah for some reason the skimmer went nuts and overflowed, it's a hob that I have hanging on the sump, but the body is in an empty tank...when I got home I looked closely and noticed the empty tank wasn't so empty...thankfully(I guess) that's why there wasn't much water on the floor.

The tank is also in the basement so it's not within view all the time.

Archived