Top Shelf Aquatics

Introducing air into full siphon drain?

Sailfish

Hi!

I'm about to go ahead and buy the plumbing parts that I need for my next 24G system.
I'm going with the beananimal overflow, so I will have a gate valve one one of the three drain pipes.

The problem is that I want to go with as small bulkheads as possible, to make the overflow as narrow as possible, and the smallest diameter gate valve that my LFS has is a little bigger. They have 20mm bulkheads, but the smallest gate valve is 25mm.

My question is simply: will having a 20mm full siphon drain pipe expanded to 25mm, with a PVC adapter, before the gate valve and then running 25mm pipe into the sump introduce any air in the drain pipe?

Or will it still be void of air, only that the water velocity decreases when the pipe diameter increases?

no air will come in the pipe because there is no where it can enter, however look online for the gate valve you want it will be cheaper and more convenient

no air will come in the pipe because there is no where it can enter, however look online for the gate valve you want it will be cheaper and more convenient

That is the problem, I can't seem to find any normal plumber shops that carry items like bulkheads and gate valves. It would probably be much cheaper, but I can't find it! :(

Can anybody help me with this? I thought my googling skills were pretty decent, but it doesn't really feel like it now :unsure:

I need it shipped to my study place, in Poland.

That is the problem, I can't seem to find any normal plumber shops that carry items like bulkheads and gate valves. It would probably be much cheaper, but I can't find it! :(

Can anybody help me with this? I thought my googling skills were pretty decent, but it doesn't really feel like it now :unsure:

I need it shipped to my study place, in Poland.

Bulk Reef Supply will have them if you are in the us, and rock n critters if you are in the uk.

Bulk Reef Supply will have them if you are in the us, and rock n critters if you are in the uk.

Thanks for the help, but Bulk Reef Supply does not want to ship to Poland and Rock N' Critters was way more expensive then my LFS, while still not having any smaller pvc parts :mellow:

I'll probably just go with the 20mm bulkheads and increase diameter to 25mm on the drain pipe with the gate valve :)

They don't have gate valves but these are two German stores you may find useful in the future.

http://www.sewatec.de

http://www.aquaristic.net

Beananimal's original design uses 1 inch bulkheads stepped up to 1.5 inch standpipes so you are doing the same thing as the original design but on a smaller scale. He stepped the pipe size up immediately after the bulkhead.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Archived