Pod Your Reef

Super Tiny Mantis Shrimp!?

DanteGpico

So I was doing regular maintenance when I saw a wavy tube of detritus on the side of a rock up against the glass (in the middle of the aquarium). I followed the very small tube (barely a millimeter thick) and at the end was an opening with a pale white creature with black eyes! Upon first inspection, I thought it was some type of worm, but then I noticed lobster like "swimmers" moving and with a magnifying glass, long arms! I am assuming it is some sort of shrimp (mantis?) larvae, but I have not added anything for close to a month now. The supposed mantis shrimp larvae is about two mm long. Has any one heard of mantis shrimp making tubes/tunnels out of detritus?

Wish I could post pics but it is impossible with my computer...

If it's really small it's probaby tanaid shrimp. They make tunnels like you described and they have long arms.

YES!! That is exactly what it is!

From what I read, the males only have claws and die in around a week. Supposedly, they are harmless.

I have them and they dont bother any thing. Some times my corals with eat them though. Free food.

YES!! That is exactly what it is!

From what I read, the males only have claws and die in around a week. Supposedly, they are harmless.

Archived