Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sunburst Anthias or Flame Angel

shawnriv

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to add a new fish to my tank. I currently only have two true perculas and looking to add. Which of the two does everyone recommend? My LFS has them for about the same price.

Thanks!

066F4384-0E9E-432C-9901-AC700FC4AB4E_zps

50F57596-7853-4ED5-8113-CE6378BB149D_zps

What size of tank the fathead requires more space than the angel, although its less active than most anthias.

Also if you keep coral a dwarf angel can be a gamble.

What size of tank the fathead requires more space than the angel, although its less active than most anthias.

Also if you keep coral a dwarf angel can be a gamble.

My tank is 38 gallons. I do have coral in the tank, but have read/heard mixed reviews about them nipping.

Anthia...and I disagree with hey, I think sunburst anthias are very nice looking. Just different body type than a lot of other anthias

Disagree with what, the fact they are less active than most anthias? Because its pretty well known they don't have the matabolism of some of their cousins nor need the space per body size of some of their cousins. IE don't die if they aren't fed multiple times daily.

They are a pretty good beginners anthias and indeed beautiful fish never meant to imply they wern't if I somehow did.

Disagree with what, the fact they are less active than most anthias? Because its pretty well known they don't have the matabolism of some of their cousins nor need the space per body size of some of their cousins. IE don't die if they aren't fed multiple times daily.

They are a pretty good beginners anthias and indeed beautiful fish never meant to imply they wern't if I somehow did.

LOL, I read it as attractive. Adjusted original post.

Flame...ehhhhh. Oh, and it will nip. That's why mother nature gave them that mouth shape.

Sunburst...awesome

But...then again...I like tiny gobies....so poor taste to begin with :)

I wouldn't say a Sunburst needs more space than the Angelfish, mine just hangs in a couple of spots all day and looks awesome. My Flame Angel was way more active all over the tank. The Anthias will be more of a picky eater - mine is a pig for frozen but I'm still getting it onto dry foods. If you have a dwarf Angel just assume it will nip so that you aren't surprised when it does. :lol:

I wouldn't say a Sunburst needs more space than the Angelfish, mine just hangs in a couple of spots all day and looks awesome. My Flame Angel was way more active all over the tank. The Anthias will be more of a picky eater - mine is a pig for frozen but I'm still getting it onto dry foods. If you have a dwarf Angel just assume it will nip so that you aren't surprised when it does. :lol:

How do you feed your Sunburst in your tank? I know whenever I feed my clowns, they go crazy and eat everything in sight within seconds. I fear the Sunburst wouldn't have a chance to actually eat. :( And which of the two (Sunburst or Flame) do you prefer?

The Sunburst isn't a wimp. :) I prefer the Anthias.

Haha, they do seem like an awesome fish. Did you ever have problems with your flame in regards to nipping at corals?

Haha, they do seem like an awesome fish. Did you ever have problems with your flame in regards to nipping at corals?

It went through a naughty phase yes. But it never did any major damage. :)

It went through a naughty phase yes. But it never did any major damage. :)

I think I'm going to go with the Sunburst. Just hands down a cool fish. I was just wondering in case my LFS doesn't get any in and I cannot help myself and end up purchasing the flame. Lol. But what do you feed your Sunburst? I've heard they're finicky eaters.

lilmatty5dimes

did you banish him to the sump?

I'd rename him to "Officer Fire Angel"

well, lucky enough for me i bought her for $25 off a friend and i moved my 150g cube a few weeks after so i sold both the donut and flame. lucky for them when i did move the tank it crashed and lost everything. sad sight to see. missing 2 clams, colony of duncan, 6 fish, lobster and pair of coral band shrimp

2 big acans

null_zps04d1825f.jpg

all my sps

null_zpsdf545552.jpg

mine nipped at my donut

when i got it 37CF1FB7-A844-46A8-A286-05F75AD64653-133

2 weeks after

1EEC85A0-D07E-422C-BBE8-4D3B44BC0160-761

35809E50-9881-4168-B522-362DB5647F65-761

So...I take it you're saying...I should not going with a Flame Angel? I want to go for the Sunburst but afraid of the mixed reviews about them being finicky eaters. :huh:

I vote for the anthias as I have had multiple nipping dwarf angels and wouldn't trust any of them to be good citizens. If you QT the anthias and it can adjust unmolested I think it'll eat frozen and spectrum pellets fine.

So...I take it you're saying...I should not going with a Flame Angel? I want to go for the Sunburst but afraid of the mixed reviews about them being finicky eaters. :huh:

centropyge can all be finicky eaters although very unlikely with a flame that is a title more reserved for multibar and potters aswell as a few other deepwater specimens. I really doubt you would have an issue with feeding the anthias either as its not one of the more notorious species for eating problems. I would consider both a step up from beginner on care requirements/risks though.

lilmatty5dimes

you have to weight your options. one might not eat and the other might eat everything. lol but i would try another flame just because they're a beautiful fish and try and feed it more so it won't nip at coral. my lfs just had a sale on them for $40. if i had a bigger tank i would have probably bought him.

Archived