Innovative Marine Aquariums

11 gallon tank advise

shark565

Hello, everybody I am planning my first reef tank. I need some advise.

Lightning: 2x Sylvania Coralstar 24w each

Filtration: All pond solution 1000 l/h canister +floating skimmer

Vibration pump:Generic aquarium wave maker 3000l/h

Aquarium:65/25/25cm

Base rock 2 kg

Ocean dead rock 2 kg

Coral sand 5kg

I want to keep a fish or two with corals. I want to have something like this:www.nano-reef.com/featured/_/2013/jaypagi-r68

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lighting is T5 HO, so you should be able to keep soft coral and some LPS if you feed it. I'd prefer 4 bulbs, but I think you'll be alright.

Since you're not from the US, the available equipment is a little different. In general, canister filters are not as popular in reef setups, but can be used (when kept clean). Power filters or media reactors seem to be more popular.

I'm not quit sure what a floating skimmer is. I assume that it's a surface skimmer versus a protein skimmer (maybe part of the canister filter).

3000lph is a little less than 800gph. That's about 70 times turnover. I think that might be a little high for a non-SPS tank with a sand bed. I'd shoot for something about half as powerful (maybe around 30 times turnover).

Should I go for internal or hang on filter? And which is better ?There are in my LFS but i assumed that the external would be better. So i am going to need a wavemaker around 1000-1500l/h.

As far as a display tank goes, hang on back filters will look better than having a large filter in a small tank. Plus, they should work just as good and are probably easier to maintain. The live rock is your biological filter, so the filter is just for mechanical and chemical media (like Phosguard and/or activated carbon).

I have found a hang on filter 400l/h with floating skimmer and a wavemaker 2000h/l on Amazon. I think i will go with these.Are they okay? I have coral sand from my FW tank it is clean I have put it in a bucket with bleach. Can i use it? I think i will DIY my light. The two tubes will be in a box hanging from the ceiling.

That's still a good deal of flow (around 57 times turnover between the filter and wavemaker). Can you adjust the flow on the wavemaker? With that filter, I'd probably be looking for a wavemaker/powerhead that's rated closer to 900 l/h.

I'm surprised you had aragonite sand in your freshwater tank. Don't use it if it has ever been exposed to copper medications. Bleach won't hurt it, but soak it in RO/DI water with a dechlorinator for awhile (you shouldn't be able to smell any chlorine afterward).

If I take 2x hang on filter 600-750l/h and place them in the two ends of the back. Can they make enough flow without a wavemaker? Beacause, I can't find a wavemaker under 2000l/h and nowhere is said if it is adjustable or not.

P.S.I had coral sand in my FW beacause I used to keep cichlid-mbunas.

If I take 2x hang on filter 600-750l/h and place them in the two ends of the back. Can they make enough flow without a wavemaker?

Yes, I've done that before. It should work fine.

I am planning to remove the sponges and put filterwatte + active carbon for better filtration. Should i add something more to the filters?

What types of corals and fish can i keep ? I want fish which are going to help my reef.

I read somewhere that i can use water bought from my supermarket. What type of water should i look for ?

P.S. Thanks for the help, you already save me so much time and money.

I am planning to remove the sponges and put filterwatte + active carbon for better filtration. Should i add something more to the filters?

Can you get Phosguard? This might be helpful if your phosphate level rises.

What types of corals and fish can i keep ?

Here is a list a appropriate fish: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

I read somewhere that i can use water bought from my supermarket. What type of water should i look for ?

If you are buying water, get distilled water. I'd avoid buying RO water from a vending machine.

I am going to look for Phosguard in my LFSs. I will look for distilled water. If the water went though revert osmosis and it isn't mineralized it is okay for the tank?

I like sebae clownfish and Hi Fin Red Banded Goby. Can i keep a mandarin in this tank size?

I will look for distilled water. If the water went though revert osmosis and it isn't mineralized it is okay for the tank?

I'd stay away from RO vending machines. Distilled water will be much better than RO. However, your own RO/DI system is the best option (even for a smallish tank).

I like sebae clownfish and Hi Fin Red Banded Goby. Can i keep a mandarin in this tank size?

The Goby is fine. Instead of a Amphiprion sebae, you can keep one (or a pair of) Amphiprion ocellaris. A Mandarin probably isn't the best choice.

From the following corals which can i keep:

trumpet coral,duncan coral ,zoanthids,palythoas,frogspawn,acan coral,torch coral,hammer coral ,ricorea mushrooms and actinodiscus mushrooms

I am not going to put all of them after the cycle.

and which of these inverts:

maxi mini anemone, sexy anemone shrimp, red-legged hermit crab, blue legged hermit crab and a turbo snail.

Can i keep damsel species?

Mr. Microscope

Coral sand 5kg

What is this? If you mean crushed coral, you'll probably want to avoid it. Sandbeds consisting of very large particles (crushed coral), quickly become saturated with detritus and turn into a nitrate factory. I'd go with smaller grain sand.

I don't know if it is crushed coral. I remember that when i bought it they have said that it is primary used for marine tanks ,but i liked the colour and I used it in my FW.

Archived