Pod Your Reef

Monkdaily's 5.5 ground zero

monkdaily

Hmmm,this is pretty interesting but looks good. What settings are you using on the light,it looks to be superrrr close to the water line.

Thanks I appreciate it. I think I peak at 40/30 wht/blue. I move around 850gph in a 5.5g so I don't keep it 100% full. They are about 7.5" from the actual water line

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you checked for PE on the bonsai after lights out. On my colony they peak out during the day and come out full after lights out.

That's how mine is. That's why I'm not overly worried about it. I just wish it look during the day the way it looks at night. I try feeding during the day to see if I can train it to extend during the day

Yesterday my 20% off Halloween sale. So I rolled by after work looking for a monti, chalice, or zoas, because I said I'm done adding acros for a while I got some really good ones and want to watch them grow and color up for a while. That was until I saw a UC Strawberry Shortcake. And for 35 bucks I freaking pulled the trigger.

20141031_22221_edit_1414843228428.jpg

lilmatty5dimes

awesome nano tank. your pretty lucky to have a sweet lfs right around the corner from ya that let you do all that in the beginning. it's at least a 35min drive to a good lfs for me. love all the sps you've got in there. hoping to do the same here soon. i love the SSC(strawberry shortcake) one of my favorite sps i had. following along.

awesome nano tank. your pretty lucky to have a sweet lfs right around the corner from ya that let you do all that in the beginning. it's at least a 35min drive to a good lfs for me. love all the sps you've got in there. hoping to do the same here soon. i love the SSC(strawberry shortcake) one of my favorite sps i had. following along.

Yeah I'm lucky enough to live in an area that has a pretty decent supply. Steve Tyree is about a 2hr drive away and UCHIN (where tyree has got a few pieces from) lives like 2 streets away from me (although I've never met either). So I'm pretty lucky to have frags floating around from some locals at a decent price also. That's how I've been able to knock these pieces on my list rather quickly.

Nice- your hooked now- nothing but SPS coming your way?

That's been the plan this whole time. I just didn't expect to find so many so easily. I expect to add more z's/p's in between all the sticks, oh well!! I really on have about 3 more I want but I may need to narrow it down to 2. Then I have a short list of about 2 encrusting montis. Then nothing but monti caps and chalices to cover the bare bottom and side glass

I wake up everyday at 430am for work. This morning I caught the first thunderstorm on my AI Sol. Nothing major but still it was pretty cool for me.

Nice- I am jealous of that one for sure. Gonna grow into a beauty! Did you pic that up at your lfs? I came home to my green cap being stung by my Millepora- got em pretty good- just rearranged the middle of my tank- whew! A little stressful

Nice- I am jealous of that one for sure. Gonna grow into a beauty! Did you pic that up at your lfs? I came home to my green cap being stung by my Millepora- got em pretty good- just rearranged the middle of my tank- whew! A little stressful

Damn thats job! I have a local guy 10 minutes around the corner that has some premium pieces he frags out from time to time. He has had it for about 2 weeks now. I've been telling myself montis and chalices from now on but the more I looked at this piece I had to have it. There's really only one more acro I'm looking for then it's just whatever I stumble upon. But relly need some montis and chalices for all this glass

Ya the color of some of the chalices are amazing-stylo are awesome though- they grow pretty fast. That's great you have a local shop like that- me too-only place I buy from besides a few from MACNA- where are you located? Ck out a purple Stylo- awesome color and polyp ext.

Ya the color of some of the chalices are amazing-stylo are awesome though- they grow pretty fast. That's great you have a local shop like that- me too-only place I buy from besides a few from MACNA- where are you located? Ck out a purple Stylo- awesome color and polyp ext.

Yeah this any my Uchin Pinky the Bear both came from a local reefer. I'm really liking the stylo and a purple one would be a perfect color to add. I like how they grow real tight almost in a ball. I am located in Arlington Texas right in the middle of Dallas/Ft Worth

Cool- I'll have to hit ya up for your lfs address - I travel to Dallas and Arlington for work fairly often. Didn't know there were good stores therealways nice to get out of the hotel room after work. What about encrusting Monti's- they are starting to take off pretty good in my tank- some really nice colors- my lfs has some the size of a fry pan and they are really impressive.

The encrusting montis are something that seems to be a little bit difficult to find around here. My jedi mind trick is still my favorite piece in my tank especially with the new AIs it's really colored up nicely. There are plenty of red caps floating around but other than that it's slim pickins.

Well I along with my battle against hair alge I know have a fight with flatworms. Thank god it's not out of control. Funny thing I have never seen them until night before last. So today is only my second day. I am glad I keep saltwater on hand because as soon as I get home and before bed I siphon a few out. Like I said it's not a full on infestation and I haven't seen any red ones yet so no desperate measures will be taken a couple of siphonings a day is okay for now. These are like a dark grayish color and get mixed reviews online about being damaging to corals. I have yet to see any damage to any of my acros so far. Like I said before I have never seen any then during my water change on Monday I put some peroxide on the rock with hair alge and thats when I stated seeing them so anyway that's an update of the happenings around my tank

Well I along with my battle against hair alge I know have a fight with flatworms. Thank god it's not out of control. Funny thing I have never seen them until night before last. So today is only my second day. I am glad I keep saltwater on hand because as soon as I get home and before bed I siphon a few out. Like I said it's not a full on infestation and I haven't seen any red ones yet so no desperate measures will be taken a couple of siphonings a day is okay for now. These are like a dark grayish color and get mixed reviews online about being damaging to corals. I have yet to see any damage to any of my acros so far. Like I said before I have never seen any then during my water change on Monday I put some peroxide on the rock with hair alge and thats when I stated seeing them so anyway that's an update of the happenings around my tank

Argh flatworms- yes be thankful their not the brown ones- totally devastated my previous tank. I love getting new coral but I am always fearful of adding anything new to the tank. Recently adding my new fish without doing a true quarantine was scary - luckily my lfs quarantined in their smaller tank but not a true quarantine. Hair algae- how's your phosphates?

Argh flatworms- yes be thankful their not the brown ones- totally devastated my previous tank. I love getting new coral but I am always fearful of adding anything new to the tank. Recently adding my new fish without doing a true quarantine was scary - luckily my lfs quarantined in their smaller tank but not a true quarantine. Hair algae- how's your phosphates?

Yeah I'm still taking no prisoners on the FW. I haven't seen a single one till I washed this rock with peroxide that's when I started see them. Either way siphoning a few out a Fay isn't bad and I am cutting back on feeding now also. My phosphates test 0 everytime but I'm sure that's because of the hair alge but I do run a media bag with GFO I just added 2 tsp Monday when I peroxide dipped my rock and will add another 2 every Monday during my weekly water change to try and make a real difference in water quality

What do ya think of the red/ orange Monti caps- super cool once they start to plate and swirl.

If they just turn into giant dinner plates "meh" but if they swirl ?!! I actually want to put a nice colored one on a magnetic plug and put on the side of my tank and see if I can get it to swirl up the wall

If they just turn into giant dinner plates "meh" but if they swirl !! I actually want to put a nice colored one on a magnetic plug and put on the side of my tank and see if I can get it to swirl up the wall

My Green cap is starting to swirl pretty good- not sure if you can predict that though

My Green cap is starting to swirl pretty good- not sure if you can predict that though

You also have the one with the purple ring right? I'd take anyone with a ring though

You also have the one with the purple ring right? I'd take anyone with a ring though

Ya- it's the green cap with a purple ring- it just got a mean stinging from my Mille moved around things to give em some more room.

Yah that sucks because it's a nice piece

For sure - it's in a good place now so we will see how long it takes to fill back it- hard to look at it with 2 -1/4 sections bleached out

Archived