ReefCleaners.org

Nanos/picos vs huge tanks

randyplank

There are lots of reasons folks have nanos/picos. I'm curious how many of us actually have had larger systems and voluntarily downsized because we simply enjoy the nanos more? It is obviously much cheaper, but if cost were not a factor, would you choose nano/pico tanks, or larger?

I have a 55 with a 10g sump, as well as 2 nano/picos under 5 gallons each. I really appreciate the simplicity of the smaller tanks and the ability to locate them where ever in my house!

There are lots of reasons folks have nanos/picos. I'm curious how many of us actually have had larger systems and voluntarily downsized because we simply enjoy the nanos more? It is obviously much cheaper, but if cost were not a factor, would you choose nano/pico tanks, or larger?

I have a 55 with a 10g sump, as well as 2 nano/picos under 5 gallons each. I really appreciate the simplicity of the smaller tanks and the ability to locate them where ever in my house!

I had a 60g which i shutdown due to costs, but because i made the tank and everything cheaply i had to do so much work.

I had to carry water up 3 floors, just wiping the glass is so hard because the biggest tank i had before it was the edge :D

Just everything takes longer.

Id say if you are going to go big, get massive so you can get loads of tangs and shit

also locating a big tank is hard nd you have to build a house around them

lilmatty5dimes

i had a 90g and a 150g cube. i sold my 90g to buy the 150g but after moving into our house we bought i had a massive crash and everything died. so i sold the 150g cause restocking it would be a lot of money plus i wanted to make a new sump and get different leds and new rock and after buying a new house the tank wouldn't have been in budget. i had a empty 57g rimless that i got builed up but the a/c had to be replace so i sold all of that and down sized to a deep blue 7.5g rimless. probably my best/favorite tank i've had but had to sell that off and found a killer deal on a nuvo 16 which i currently have. i don't mind the smaller tank less maintenance and cheaper but like everyone i'm sure you want a bigger one to house the larger fish.

I started with a 90g reef but then added a 125g FOWLR system so I could have puffers, lionfish and a snowflake eel. I loved my big tanks but caring for my bed ridden mom in law necessitated that I downsize. I chose a 36g bowfront to keep LPS and have really loved it. 4 months ago I attached a 30gXH planted/softie tank so I could have seahorses and pipe fish and am very excited about it. I am not sure my tanks qualify as nano anymore as they jointly make a 65g system.

Archived