Innovative Marine Aquariums

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

I'm supposed to be getting calibration fluid tomorrow bc I mixed up 15 gallons to 1.025 according to my bucket of Salinity and my refractometer said 1.040 so I may be running really low. Which would explain my low alk and cal

Make your own solution, 35.5 grams of table salt plus 94.5 grams water.

Looks good make, did you remove the overflow box?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Make your own solution, 35.5 grams of table salt plus 94.5 grams water.

Looks good make, did you remove the overflow box?

humm, my reloading scale is pretty damn accurate, I'm going to do that and see how it compares. Would using a non iodine salt make any diff, I'm afraid I'm pretty dense with chemestry.

Naw it's there, if you look at the second pic you can see it, it's only 1.5" thick

NorthGaHillbilly

calibration fluid comes today, so I'll be using that, ro, distilled aND home made calibra to on fluid to check out this refracometer.

also picked up a tail spot blenny :D

Love the tail spot! Pics when you can.

Seriously, get him healthy and past the first 2 or 3 months when so many of them seem to croak and you should be good to go. Watch out for PUMPS, they love them. Scares the hell out of me every time I clean the tank.

NorthGaHillbilly

I appreciate it Mark, I'll keep an 3 years on him. I got him to eat some mysis yexterday, and he's been picking around. Speaking of fish wat, I just watched a CBB show down on pellets yesterday... it was pretty intense.

Got my calibration fluid... my tank is 1.022... so that explains some things

jedimasterben

Yeah, time to start topping off with some saltwater until that is fixed :)

I'm considering a copperband butterfly. I've never wanted one in the past because they eat feather dusters, and I love mine, but I realized yesterday that I have so. goddamned. many. feather dusters. that it wouldn't really matter, plus they reproduce like wildfire. They must love the silicate I dose :)

NorthGaHillbilly

Yeah, time to start topping off with some saltwater until that is fixed :)

I'm considering a copperband butterfly. I've never wanted one in the past because they eat feather dusters, and I love mine, but I realized yesterday that I have so. goddamned. many. feather dusters. that it wouldn't really matter, plus they reproduce like wildfire. They must love the silicate I dose :)

I've always loved them, we had one when I was a kid, it ate pellets and anything else, but lost it in a tank crash.

just added salt to the top off bucket, don't want to make a drastic change, but change is coming

jedimasterben

I've always loved them, we had one when I was a kid, it ate pellets and anything else, but lost it in a tank crash.

just added salt to the top off bucket, don't want to make a drastic change, but change is coming

Alright obama :)

Ow I am with you buddy ;)

Let's hope the tank has a better outcome than the country.

I filled my ATO with SW mixed at 1.030. I tried to do the calculations to see how much it would actually take but checking the SG each day will take less time than the calculation

NorthGaHillbilly

Let's hope the tank has a better outcome than the country.

I filled my ATO with SW mixed at 1.030. I tried to do the calculations to see how much it would actually take but checking the SG each day will take less time than the calculation

yea, I added some salt, a non Scientific ammount, aND just plan on testing daily till its right, then going back to RO. I think it will make a major difference... or atleast I hope

Lol I use a sharpie line I drew at the proper level to make sure my salinity is good.

That does nothing when your refractometer is off and it is mixed wrong to start with

I appreciate it Mark, I'll keep an 3 years on him. I got him to eat some mysis yexterday, and he's been picking around. Speaking of fish wat, I just watched a CBB show down on pellets yesterday... it was pretty intense.

Got my calibration fluid... my tank is 1.022... so that explains some things

So wait, did you compare it to distilled? I had calibrated mine with distilled when I got it so I'm wondering how far off it is.

NorthGaHillbilly

So wait, did you compare it to distilled? I had calibrated mine with distilled when I got it so I'm wondering how far off it is.

Distilled and RO were, and still do, show 0 after recalibrating, so somewhere in the lens or crystal mine isnt linear. If your tank is fine Im sure youve got noting to worry about, but Im hoping to see my growth come back, its been missed

Lol I use a sharpie line I drew at the proper level to make sure my salinity is good.

That does nothing when your tongue is off and it is mixed wrong to start with

Distilled and RO were, and still do, show 0 after recalibrating, so somewhere in the lens or crystal mine isnt linear. If your tank is fine Im sure youve got noting to worry about, but Im hoping to see my growth come back, its been missed

How was it off, did you have a cold? :lol:

Nice- tailspots are a great fish- mine also makes a bed in my idaho grape nightly! ?

Have you considered the Milwaukee electric refractometer- pricey but I love it- super easy to use and gives consistant results time and time again. Only piece of testing equipment or kits I can say that about. I tend to ck salinlty more often cause it's so easy and when mixing up new salt it makes life easier?

NorthGaHillbilly

Nice- tailspots are a great fish- mine also makes a bed in my idaho grape nightly!

Have you considered the Milwaukee electric refractometer- pricey but I love it- super easy to use and gives consistant results time and time again. Only piece of testing equipment or kits I can say that about. I tend to ck salinlty more often cause it's so easy and when mixing up new salt it makes life easier

I was just talking with a buddy about them, hes got one coming right now, so im going to give it a try and from the sounds of it I might just end up ordering one.

I was just talking with a buddy about them, hes got one coming right now, so im going to give it a try and from the sounds of it I might just end up ordering one.

Cool- just get some distiller water and do a quick calibration every time - only takes a few seconds. I calibrate wipe clean then test with saltwater?

Archived