Pod Your Reef

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

So you're making a coast to coast internal overflow? And how are you covering the drilled holes or are you leaving then nekkid with pipes showing through?

Im debating between going all the way across, or making it 12", I migt make one of each and see which I like the looks of better.

Im just going to have the bulkheads installed on the bottom, the smaller will be capped, and the other will have a valve and then a hose. Ill leave the hose in the sump in case a drip develops in the valve, but will use it for WC's in the event I get up the gumption to do one.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly
NorthGaHillbilly

Man that stand looks real nice

Thanks man. Got it home today, It wont have doors untill I can finish the ladys project, or else Ill get my head removed.

https://flic.kr/p/puzEAR'>15419636101_3ec8988b3a_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/puzEAR'>IMG_00000374 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Stand took ~5 hours total, so the stand done this week, overflow next week, sump the week after that. I should be in business in 3 weeks Id guess.

Thanks man. Got it home today, It wont have doors untill I can finish the ladys project, or else Ill get my head removed.

15419636101_3ec8988b3a_c.jpgIMG_00000374 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Stand took ~5 hours total, so the stand done this week, overflow next week, sump the week after that. I should be in business in 3 weeks Id guess.

For everything we do for our tank, we always have to do something of equal or greater value for our spouse!

Gorgeous stand, can't believe how straight everything is... what is that top made of? Two pieces of plywood stuck together?

NorthGaHillbilly

For everything we do for our tank, we always have to do something of equal or greater value for our spouse!

Gorgeous stand, can't believe how straight everything is... what is that top made of? Two pieces of plywood stuck together?

No doubt, shes always got a project for me, but it makes me feel damn good when shes bragging about projects I enjoy doing, and she loves to death.

Spice rack from last week.

15399955306_da242c77d9_c.jpgIMG_00000375 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

I appreciate it, a good fence on a tablesaw is a must! Yea, the top is a piece pf 3/4" ply with a build out under that. I ended up making the stand deep enough to accommodate an 18" deep (front to back) sump, so there is an overhang on the top.

NorthGaHillbilly

Funny I have to make a spice rack too. Let me steal your plan... :P

It's nice to see that your stand is not crazy overbuilt!

I'd have to throw a tape on it to even come close to helping you, I had one of the jars in hand and just started choppin :lol:

Im always a fan of building things to last, but damn, with alot of the construction I see you'd think we fill tanks with lead.

Great stand, I like the color too, very clean look.

Thanks, Im pretty happy with it. the color was partially chosen by what we had in the shop that wouldnt get used up, but its something different and aught to work well enough.

I'd have to throw a tape on it to even come close to helping you, I had one of the jars in hand and just started choppin :lol:

Im always a fan of building things to last, but damn, with alot of the construction I see you'd think we fill tanks with lead.

Thanks, Im pretty happy with it. the color was partially chosen by what we had in the shop that wouldnt get used up, but its something different and aught to work well enough.

what type of paint was it, I ended up using a precat epoxy on mine because I was hoping for a much harder paint than what I had been able to find.

NorthGaHillbilly

what type of paint was it, I ended up using a precat epoxy on mine because I was hoping for a much harder paint than what I had been able to find.

its a precatalized lacquer, weve been really happy with it at work. epoxy is definatly the cream of the crop for possible wet situations tho. Did you spray it?

its a precatalized lacquer, weve been really happy with it at work. epoxy is definatly the cream of the crop for possible wet situations tho. Did you spray it?

rolled it as I was working in a basement. It is a sherwin williams water based deal the smell was surprisingly not that overpowering which was nice. I was happy specifically because they have some quality rollers that leave no lines when you roll it on... first paint I have ever used that I didn't have a fight with.

NorthGaHillbilly

rolled it as I was working in a basement. It is a sherwin williams water based deal the smell was surprisingly not that overpowering which was nice. I was happy specifically because they have some quality rollers that leave no lines when you roll it on... first paint I have ever used that I didn't have a fight with.

Sherwin williams makes some good paints, I just checked out your stand, really looks good, i never would have guessed you rolled it on.

Sherwin williams makes some good paints, I just checked out your stand, really looks good, i never would have guessed you rolled it on.

I am not kidding when I say it rolls on amazingly smooth. What I will say about my woodworking skills and the stand is... damn I am glad bondo is such a good woodfiller, I suck at woodworking. If I was staining the stand it would have looked like a bondo'd chevette.

NorthGaHillbilly

I am not kidding when I say it rolls on amazingly smooth. What I will say about my woodworking skills and the stand is... damn I am glad bondo is such a good woodfiller, I suck at woodworking. If I was staining the stand it would have looked like a bondo'd chevette.

Bondo is GREAT for painted projects. Theres a few spots on this one that would sand down to pink if you took an orbital to it. Really lets you stretch a pile of wood. Since this stand was for me I didnt worry about imperfections... well, thats why ive got bondo :lol:

Bondo is GREAT for painted projects. Theres a few spots on this one that would sand down to pink if you took an orbital to it. Really lets you stretch a pile of wood. Since this stand was for me I didnt worry about imperfections... well, thats why ive got bondo :lol:

I am a big fan of its multi use capability... as evidenced by the drip pan on my air handler unit that decided to rust through last winter... The thing is crazy old, bondo is easier than sourcing a replacement for it haha.

I really went crazy with it on the stand and sunk all the screws and covered em with bondo then proceeded to make a gigantic mess sanding it all smooth.

NorthGaHillbilly

I am a big fan of its multi use capability... as evidenced by the drip pan on my air handler unit that decided to rust through last winter... The thing is crazy old, bondo is easier than sourcing a replacement for it haha.

I really went crazy with it on the stand and sunk all the screws and covered em with bondo then proceeded to make a gigantic mess sanding it all smooth.

Kreg jig man, you gatta get a kreg jig.

Kreg jig man, you gatta get a kreg jig.

ya woulda saved a lot of weight making the frame as well instead of a bunch of cleat boards. If I did it over using the same design, it would weigh 50 lbs less.

Wow I didn't realize people in lawn's lounge had actual threads too, I just been watching for updates on this there LOL That stand is absolutely beautiful man, definitely a work of art! I notice you have the short box on the tank in the last round of pics, is that what you decided on or just testing to see which you prefer?.... I think it looks pretty good but definitely curious to see what the coast to coast/ longer overflow will look like as you don't see that as often, although I guess it kinda defeats the purpose of taking out the original box to replace it with a smaller one :)

I have no skills when it comes to wood working. I can't cut a 2x4 straight without a miter saw :).

Wait, people actually do it a different way? I don't even care to think about how many 2x4's I've cut in my life but I've always taken em to the chop saw :)

No denying that one for sure!

Wow I never thought about that, reefers are crazy creative and dedicated sometimes!

They make a awesome paint called pro classic. It has a self leveling agent so it drys with no brush or roller marks.
jedimasterben

They make a awesome paint called pro classic. It has a self leveling agent so it drys with no brush or roller marks.

That's incredible. I need that in my life.

No worries, I can reverse engineer it from just looking at your pic. lol

What do you do at work man? You're prob a pro at building things, so you have confidence in your designs, unlike the rest of us... anyway, can't wait for this to get wet!

Archived