Cultivated Reef

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like your old pinwheel and mine are next to identical, I miss my orange plate, hated it when that one kicked the bucket.

Couple of weekend updates

I broke down and built a top for the tank, with adding fish I had to take that step

15241707224_d3bcfbac9b_c.jpg20141123_194216 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

I cleaned up my wiring alittle bit to limit salt creep and added the second heater

15863360592_9a94573519_c.jpg20141123_194246 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

And heres the electrical cluster ####

15231927984_e61484c127_c.jpg20141122_164612 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

I got my McCosker's Wrasse today, its a small sub adult male, but already switched over. He was flashing the other wrasse through the glass, but wasnt the most aggressive out of the lot. Ive seen him moving around some, and hope to get a picture in the next few days

Dude your tank is looking great, your electrical cluster is nicer looking then most I've seen!

Thank you!!

NorthGaHillbilly

Dude your tank is looking great, your electrical cluster is nicer looking then most I've seen!

Thank you!!

Thank you!

The battery back up thing is completely worth it, mine has "saved" me several times. Nothing that would have probably nuked the tank, but i was sure glad I had it.

NorthGaHillbilly

The setup is clean and nice sir.

Its gettin there, Ive got to clean these socks and blast up some detritus

Love the screen top, perfect fit.

I was really dreading it, but it looks pretty nice

Here are a few pictures of the new wrasse

https://flic.kr/p/penhtS'>15247472904_13d0b18f93_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/penhtS'>20141124_122425 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/qbihR1'>15869100962_43e6059226_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qbihR1'>20141124_122417 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

NorthGaHillbilly

Nice and colorful addition

Im really lovin this little guy, hes been flashin his shit at every other fish in the tank all day LOL

Nice male, looks pretty healthy :)

Hes been looking good at the LFS for 2 weeks or so, fingers crossed

do you have the layout of how your sump is made??

The sump is 18"x24"x12", the drain/ skimmer section is 13"x18"x9", that flows over into the fuge area. I notched the partition there so I could just just one piece to divide the left from right, the fuge is 10"x11"x7" and the return area is 6"x6"x10" (~1.5g). I can draw up something if thatll help.

Feeling better?

doing much better, thanks man.

Im really lovin this little guy, hes been flashin his shit at every other fish in the tank all day LOL

Hes been looking good at the LFS for 2 weeks or so, fingers crossed

The sump is 18"x24"x12", the drain/ skimmer section is 13"x18"x9", that flows over into the fuge area. I notched the partition there so I could just just one piece to divide the left from right, the fuge is 10"x11"x7" and the return area is 6"x6"x10" (~1.5g). I can draw up something if thatll help.

doing much better, thanks man.

Glenn and I just had a good laugh thru text at your expense :). I told him the story about you eating that 3 week old chicken and rice. Honey I don't feel well what did you eat. Umm that chicken and rice NO that was 3 weeks old :lol:
NorthGaHillbilly

Glenn and I just had a good laugh thru text at your expense :). I told him the story about you eating that 3 week old chicken and rice. Honey I don't feel well what did you eat. Umm that chicken and rice NO that was 3 weeks old :lol:

yea, I waited till today to tell her, I couldnt take the lecture when I was still puking

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks everyone, hes a trip waggin his ass in ever other fish's face all day :D

nice wrasse! where'd you pick it from?

Got him from Reef Shac, over off Power Springs Rd. If you havent checked him out you aught to. Some of the best LPS youll ever see, and great prices

I am tempted to place some kind of baffle in my return section so I can run a small fuge. Either there or in the first section and move my extra large heater somewhere else. Can a heater hang in an overflow? The beast is about 6 feet tall. :D

NorthGaHillbilly

I am tempted to place some kind of baffle in my return section so I can run a small fuge. Either there or in the first section and move my extra large heater somewhere else. Can a heater hang in an overflow? The beast is about 6 feet tall. :D

Nuclear reactor as a heater??? I know some people do run their heater in the overflow in case a return dies, I dont know how effective it truly would be, as the overflow water would get up to temp well before the rest of the tank, but some folks do it.

I dont figgure the fuge really helps with my parameters, but it looks cool, breeds pods, and eventually will house a small mantis :D

NorthGaHillbilly

Things are still chugging along nicely. I've been cutting the time I have all 6 on even more, this fixture really pumps out some PAR

I finally got my wireless adapter working, so I've been looking at my temp graph and it seems really jumpy, never over a 1 degree swing, but it bounces around within that degree a good bit. Any other people monitoring there temp have any ideas, I figgure its probably normal... or is it?

I'm also back to watching my Alk, mag was in the high 1200s so Ive been bumping that up. My Alk has been going down slowly, as has ca, so I'm back to adding some baked baking soda and kalk in the top off.

jedimasterben

I finally got my wireless adapter working, so I've been looking at my temp graph and it seems really jumpy, never over a 1 degree swing, but it bounces around within that degree a good bit. Any other people monitoring there temp have any ideas, I figgure its probably normal... or is it?

I personally don't see the point in keeping temperature THAT tightly controlled. Corals are adapted to large swings with each passing wave.

NorthGaHillbilly

I have a digital thermometer and I've noticed it'll move around the way you're describing regularly. No worries sir.

Glad to hear it. FYI, completely forgot about the pump while I was loosing my lunch... over and over. I'll get it out tomorrow, text me and bug me

NorthGaHillbilly

I personally don't see the point in keeping temperature THAT tightly controlled. Corals are adapted to large swings with each passing wave.

I was actually reading on that same idea, they were saying coral from tanKS with a few degree swings might be hardier...

Archived