Pod Your Reef

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

Here's the pic I promised you yesterday. Very quick shot and obviously not finished here. Still filling the tank with saltwater in the first shot. Once the rock transferred the detritus was everywhere, but easily siphoned back out. I think this will be a daily chore for a little while until I get all the accumulated detritus out of the rocks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0een4x8tvu70hg/tank%20progress1.jpg?dl=0

Immediately after transfer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khvvsidi2io4xa7/2015-04-15%2007.26.35.jpg?dl=0

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Here's the pic I promised you yesterday. Very quick shot and obviously not finished here. Still filling the tank with saltwater in the first shot. Once the rock transferred the detritus was everywhere, but easily siphoned back out. I think this will be a daily chore for a little while until I get all the accumulated detritus out of the rocks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0een4x8tvu70hg/tank%20progress1.jpg?dl=0

Immediately after transfer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khvvsidi2io4xa7/2015-04-15%2007.26.35.jpg?dl=0

Did you not silicone the starboard to the bottom? If so, I'd very much recommend draining the tank, siliconing it in, then refilling.

Did you not silicone the starboard to the bottom? If so, I'd very much recommend draining the tank, siliconing it in, then refilling.

I did not because I wanted to be able to remove it if I decided I didn't like it. I had to transfer stuff in a hurry this week as the tank everything was in decided to start leaking. At this point I don't have another tank to put things in. I will most likely be adding more live rock in a few weeks so I could transfer into the tub I will use to cure the rock and silicone the bottom then.

jedimasterben

I did not because I wanted to be able to remove it if I decided I didn't like it. I had to transfer stuff in a hurry this week as the tank everything was in decided to start leaking. At this point I don't have another tank to put things in. I will most likely be adding more live rock in a few weeks so I could transfer into the tub I will use to cure the rock and silicone the bottom then.

Yeah, IMHO if you don't like the starboard and want to use sand, you can just add the sand right on top of it. That's what I'm eventually going to do with mine if I can ever find the time to drain the tank and get my starboard siliconed in place lol. It's hard to find a place for ~70 gallons of water :lol:

NorthGaHillbilly

Beautiful. Where does the line start for future frags?

It'll be a while, but hope we get the growth rates the original owner did, if so, ill be hitting you up in a few months.

Wow those color combos are insane!

I have to agree, CB might crank that saturation up through the roof, but his corals are legit

Your getting some sweet frags going

Just dont tell my wife :D

NorthGaHillbilly

So I've got a theory, and Chris has the same, as you can see I put small blobs of epoxy up to the skeleton of the frag. From my observations of chalice growth, if their edges are hanging off the plug, they will stall out on growth in those areas. I have seen this with my pink boobies, the side touching the rock is now encrusted over and spreading, where as the side left hanging just quit growing. So I hope this will encourage some encrusting growth, expecially as that is the side with the most colors showing.

16597554873_e86aa82e04_c.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

I've seen that done as well. Never tried it myself though. Interested to see how it works for you!

Well see how it turns out, You can see the upper left area is still hanging, hoping to give it a month and then see a direct comparison of that area and the area that was "ramped" with the epoxy.

shaneandjohn

Hillbilly,

You are exactly right sir. I was taught that trick years ago. Every frag I mount gets a nice level landing of glue on the round disk, I never use plugs. This was the size of a quarter just over a year ago. Now it's is 4" across, and this was a accidental frag from the Mother Colony. It is called a Hurricane chalice up here. I sent a piece to Lawn a while back. You will see the skeleton encrust on the glue then round down the plug , or disk.

Steady ALK sir, that's what My tanks have always thrived on.

You have some beautiful colors there, Sweet pieces indeed!! I am envious my friend.

Shane

post-63035-0-90869200-1429577274_thumb.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Hillbilly,

You are exactly right sir. I was taught that trick years ago. Every frag I mount gets a nice level landing of glue on the round disk, I never use plugs. This was the size of a quarter just over a year ago. Now it's is 4" across, and this was a accidental frag from the Mother Colony. It is called a Hurricane chalice up here. I sent a piece to Lawn a while back. You will see the skeleton encrust on the glue then round down the plug , or disk.

Steady ALK sir, that's what My tanks have always thrived on.

You have some beautiful colors there, Sweet pieces indeed!! I am envious my friend.

Shane

Thanks for dropping by Shane! I actually got a frag of that one off of Lawn, its placed on the rock, and has already started to make contact. Are you using CA glue for your mounting, or some epoxy mixed in there? I hope this works out well, as getting this thing to grow would be... awesome.

Are you doing any spot feeding to your chalices?

I've FINALLY got my alk dialed in, its been rock solid at 8.5 for the last 2 months. I gave everything a sunburn last week, but things seem to be back on track, caught it before any bleaching happened.

shaneandjohn

This is the Mother Colony, I started this off as a Quarter about 5 years ago. It is now the about 8" across, and has had edges broken over the years, on accident of course. I never frag corals on purpose! It a sick fascination I have to see just how big they can get.

Shane

post-63035-0-18412400-1429578099_thumb.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

This is the Mother Colony, I started this off as a Quarter about 5 years ago. It is now the about 8" across, and has had edges broken over the years, on accident of course. I never frag corals on purpose! It a sick fascination I have to see just how big they can get.

Shane

Thats great, Im really enjoying seeing my duncans grow, up to ~12 heads now, hope to see them take over there area.

shaneandjohn

Hillbilly,

I use only IC jell super glue on frags.I try to keep it very simple what goes in my tank, Never epoxy. Not that it's bad by any means, but I have always had great success with glue only.

I keep my ALK between 8.5 and 9 DKH, very steady. The secret I have found, for my tank, to keep ALK super steady, is a higher level of Mag as well. 1450 seems to be just right, and I have documented Chalice growth.

Yes, all chalices need to eat as well. 2 days a week the tank gets a heavy, meaty, messy feeding.

Coral Frenzy, is the main ingredient, as well as Rodds frozen food.

Duncan's will explode with growth as well.

Shane

This was 2 heads a year and a half ago. There are close to 20 heads now, and get harassed by my clowns every day.

Shane

I look forward to your growth shots on the Fine specimens on your rack!

post-63035-0-72606300-1429579307_thumb.jpg

I have literally spent all day at work reading this lol

I must say I am very impressed with the tank! The most impressive thing is how close everyone seems to get on forums because of the hobby we all share. It really is amazing!

I will hopefully be getting my shallow cube in sometime within the next week or so and am hoping to do a bare bottom sps heavy build. Thank you for all the great ideas!

Oh and my grandparents live near the cobb county marietta line saw that you are from marietta lol

NorthGaHillbilly

I have literally spent all day at work reading this lol

I must say I am very impressed with the tank! The most impressive thing is how close everyone seems to get on forums because of the hobby we all share. It really is amazing!

I will hopefully be getting my shallow cube in sometime within the next week or so and am hoping to do a bare bottom sps heavy build. Thank you for all the great ideas!

Oh and my grandparents live near the cobb county marietta line saw that you are from marietta lol

LOL, sorry it wasnt more exciting, but glad you checked it out.

This forum is great, a very different attitude than many of the other reef forums, and some really great folks.

So lets see this new shallow tank!

Cool about your grandparents, weve been in the area for 2 years now, tho I've been in GA since day 1

Swabbie kit is $115, the Flintstones version is $5

17248298951_496ed050b0_z.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

I try to do that trick with lps and sps. Gimmmmmmie chalice now ;)

Ps what's up with thumb?

Any luck with using the epoxy? LOL, I had to go in with a partner on that little chalice!

I was tapping a sled for a table saw, bit broke and went into my thumb. Two weeks later I put pressure on my thumb in a weird way... CRACK! I guess I fractured it before, and then it just got worse. I've had it wrapped up for a week now. Thanks for askin broski

Any luck with using the epoxy? LOL, I had to go in with a partner on that little chalice!

I was tapping a sled for a table saw, bit broke and went into my thumb. Two weeks later I put pressure on my thumb in a weird way... CRACK! I guess I fractured it before, and then it just got worse. I've had it wrapped up for a week now. Thanks for askin broski

Ouch.....your added crack sound made me feel a little pain.

NorthGaHillbilly

Did you just glue a scraper to the lid and turn the lid as needed?

Yea, took a shower squeegie and cut it to fit. Then used glue and epoxy to put it in place. Its really worked well. (Cant claim the idea, was brought to my attention on the local forum)

Ouch.....your added crack sound made me feel a little pain.

Yea, when it happened I just stood there for a few min thinking, What the hell just happened

Archived