Coral Vue Hydros

Dremel for the hobby?

tibbsy07

I know many DIYers use dremels for this hobby - but there are so many options and different models. Is there one that people seem to find best for all around DIY use for aquarium and home? There is like a 3000 series with 32 attachments for like 60 bucks or so.

To that end, has anyone used the dremel handsaw? If so, could one cut 2x4s with it?

I know many DIYers use dremels for this hobby - but there are so many options and different models. Is there one that people seem to find best for all around DIY use for aquarium and home? There is like a 3000 series with 32 attachments for like 60 bucks or so.

To that end, has anyone used the dremel handsaw? If so, could one cut 2x4s with it?

If by "handsaw" you mean the Dremel Saw-Max, I have been using it to modify an Ikea Besta Kitchen Cabinet to use as a stand for the IM Nuvo Fusion 10 (I'll put up a build thread on it sometime). You can cut 2x4s with it (there is a guide just for the purpose) but they have to be double cuts since the max cutting depth is 3/4". As for the Dremel rotary tool, I like the cordless rechargeable models.

Get a rechargable one. For working around salt water. I am impressed with the middle of the road one ($60ish). It has more speed but less torque than my old plug in one, but thats what I wanted.

And a plug in one.

The bits, consider them all consumables.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the dremel brand really that much better than other rotary tools?

I just got a black & decker rotary tool for $30, and added on a dremel diamond wheel to it to frag a duncan.

You could use a handsaw handsaw to cut 2x4s...

Is the dremel brand really that much better than other rotary tools?

I just got a black & decker rotary tool for $30, and added on a dremel diamond wheel to it to frag a duncan.

Ive still have my plug-in Dremel from the 90s.

They didnt have other brands back then.

If I bought it in the 80s, Im sure it would still work. Im sure it will still be working in the '20's.

Archived