Coral Vue Hydros

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

I hate AI's customer service. We're going with a different LED when we get back into the hobby because of that. So, heads up before you order. If you have issues, they are a nightmare. I was not pleased.

They ARE a nightmare in that they only keep M-F business hours, and it usually takes 24 hours for them to get back to you (usullay by email, but they WILL return phone calls). I've found once they are on your case, they DO stay involved, but for working folks, you're usually dealing w them while at work and away from your tank for real time troubleshooting. The process, as it can get drawn out if 1st and 2nd suggestions turn into 3rd, 4th or 5th, can become quite frustrating and tedious, especially at the price point (Hydra, Vega, Nano). Their user guides are weak, as it is usually all web content almost too small to read, let alone follow. Firmware updates for the legacy controller are a pain in the ass, requiring you to manually type in code w/out making mistakes - real pain in the ass. You'd think for the price point they'd have the resources to offer a more engaged, timely customer service experience, but they're just mom/pop-ish.

You'd also think that, with the merger w Echotech, the two would combine forces to offer one united, colloborative product, but for whatever reason, they choose to still offer separate product lines - almost like Sirius and XM. Thats really baffling.

All that said, I will say the guys I've dealt with there are good guys and do their best to help and they do get you to the heart of the issues and solve them....it's just getting them on the hook is a really frustrating thing, so much so that the first 10 minutes of getting them on the hook is spent venting the past 24-48 hours of frustration in NOT being able to get them.

Nice lights though, all that aside.

I also had a great experience with AI. They serviced a Nano that was out of warranty and only charged to ship it back. I wasn't even the original purchaser. But every company has customers with good and bad experiences.

I heard that AI was recently taken over by ecotech and i have always heard great things about ecotech customer service. Maybe I was just before the transition.

They ARE a nightmare in that they only keep M-F business hours, and it usually takes 24 hours for them to get back to you (usullay by email, but they WILL return phone calls). I've found once they are on your case, they DO stay involved, but for working folks, you're usually dealing w them while at work and away from your tank for real time troubleshooting. The process, as it can get drawn out if 1st and 2nd suggestions turn into 3rd, 4th or 5th, can become quite frustrating and tedious, especially at the price point (Hydra, Vega, Nano). Their user guides are weak, as it is usually all web content almost too small to read, let alone follow. Firmware updates for the legacy controller are a pain in the ass, requiring you to manually type in code w/out making mistakes - real pain in the ass. You'd think for the price point they'd have the resources to offer a more engaged, timely customer service experience, but they're just mom/pop-ish.

You'd also think that, with the merger w Echotech, the two would combine forces to offer one united, colloborative product, but for whatever reason, they choose to still offer separate product lines - almost like Sirius and XM. Thats really baffling.

All that said, I will say the guys I've dealt with there are good guys and do their best to help and they do get you to the heart of the issues and solve them....it's just getting them on the hook is a really frustrating thing, so much so that the first 10 minutes of getting them on the hook is spent venting the past 24-48 hours of frustration in NOT being able to get them.

Nice lights though, all that aside.

My issue took a year to resolve. We had bought the sols right before the hydra (or w/e the next gen was) and ai offered customers a rebate for the sols to have the same wireless capabilities as the hydra. That was it. No specifics on the product. So we go through the process. 3 months later, no product. I email them and they say in the next two months. Still no product. Then next 6 months. Finally, i say well i am moving in two days. Oh we will send it to you immediately. Wtf? The hydra was out for almost a while year at this point. Were they just never going to send it to me? And this mysterious product that was such a headache to get? Just the dongle. That was it. I called after i moved and they said oh now it has the same capabilities as the hydra! And you only have to pay $150 to get the wireless controller! Wtf? I would have just bought new lights if i had known. Or returned the sols and got the new lights.

Note: i don't remember what the name of the following model my lights were. Dont nit pick it. The sols were the only kind available, so which ever model followed that. Vega, hydra, phoenix, i can't remember whats what and when.

And if I had a Nano and controller for sale, I'd get it out there soon. It's going to be hard to get the $200+ people are asking for them once this light hits the market

reefernanoman

And if I had a Nano and controller for sale, I'd get it out there soon. It's going to be hard to get the $200+ people are asking for them once this light hits the market

Depending on how good the prime really is, but I think that it would be more than enough light for at least a 12x12x12 cube.

• 4 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Talked to my LFS buddy, who is the owner of the shop regarding this light. He was told by distributors that it might not be available until February 2015.

• 4 weeks later...
saltwatercoral

I was just told that AI will be shiping these out at the end of the month. I put my Pre order in for a white one through Marine Depot today! It will be covering my fluval spec 3!

• Like 2
reefernanoman
I was just told that AI will be shiping these out at the end of the month. I put my Pre order in for a white one through Marine Depot today! It will be covering my fluval spec 3!

Did MD tell you that? I'm just curious. I can't wait to see this light in action. Is it going to come with a mounting arm?

saltwatercoral

Did MD tell you that? I'm just curious. I can't wait to see this light in action. Is it going to come with a mounting arm?

Both AI and MD told me that they will be shipping out at the end of the month! Im not 100% sure about the mounting arm though.... But from this video

it look slike it will be coming with one. They also say in the video that it will cover a tank 18-20inches! Hope this helps!
  • Like 1
Enchelycore808

Anyone know if this unit would fit inside the hood of a Fluval Edge tank?

It's about the same size as the AI Nano so it would fit under a Fluval edge hood. Finally coming out! I've been putting off my build waiting for this light.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

It's about the same size as the AI Nano so it would fit under a Fluval edge hood. Finally coming out! I've been putting off my build waiting for this light.

Nice. Hopefully, it will be a great light. I don't see why not. If my PAR38 is working out great for my fusion 10G, then this light should work just as well.

reefernanoman

Just pre ordered a black one for my Nuvo fusion 10. Cant wait! ships in about three to four days according to MarineDepot

Nice! My PAR38 is working out so well for my fusion 10g(corals are growing fast and colorful) that I can't justify getting this light. Good luck!

reefernanoman

So did the first batch finally ship? It should have according to some of you lucky ones no? I'm not even buying one yet, but that doesn't stop me from being excited LOL. :lol:

Spoke with an AI rep a couple days ago...units will not be shipping out for at least another couple weeks. If your lucky maybe this month, but from the previous expected deliveries dates I would't count on it. Also, the mounting arm is not included and he could not disclose a price. Should I continue waiting it out, or just go for the radion on my IM 30L?

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Spoke with an AI rep a couple days ago...units will not be shipping out for at least another couple weeks. If your lucky maybe this month, but from the previous expected deliveries dates I would't count on it. Also, the mounting arm is not included and he could not disclose a price. Should I continue waiting it out, or just go for the radion on my IM 30L?

I wonder if they would charge like $50 for the arm? It would still cost less than $300.

Maybe I'm missing something but based on the pictures of this light it would seem nearly impossible to use this light without the arm. Who wants to hang this from the ceiling? AI should include the arm with the light. It is sometimes disappointing the way these companies market these items.

If you are tired of waiting check out my Mini Tide. Comes with mounting arm, controller ( not wireless ) and custom colors. It is a little more but each is made by hand ( myself ). $300

-Dave

• Like 3

Yeah, you would think the mount was included. I bet you they'll start shipping the lights out before the arms too.

I really like the design of this light along with the price point, but since I need two now I'm looking at probably dropping at least $500. I should of got the radio when it was sale...