Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mesenterial Filaments ?

Reefkid88

If your water is so hot you don't want to keep your hand in it,I'd like to think there's no way you're using Distilled or RO water. I don't think a heater can hear your water that hot.

Whatever you do,if you switch,mix your water 50/50 (RC->RSCP) or you could be asking for problems.

If you are adding salt to a 5 gallon bucket to get 1.026 and you add that amount to let's say 2 gallons of water while you're filling with water to get 5 gallons then you will in fact see white particles. Also if you add salt that is hard large lumps them this too will cause white particles that will never settle. Do not use salt that is clumped if you don't want particles. You can still use the clumpy salt but calcium levels will be considerably less than a dry batch of salt.

I always mix to 1.026,I mix a gallon every time. I also take the bag out,and shake the bag to get the heavier elements that may have found their way to the bottom which has made for very consistent results every time I test. Which latey hasn't happened. I really rely on my dozen of SPS to give me sign of heavy nutrients. Which is hardly ever due to my small but frequent water changes. But in a 2 gallon things can go south quickly.

The filaments extending from you acro are for feeding. If you want to replicate it, turn off your return pump at dawn or dusk in your tank, dose a little bit of AAs, and broadcast feed a few millileters of 10-200 micrometer sized foods (like oyster eggs) with your powerheads on then wait about a half hour. All (or a majority of) your acros will have them extended.

Once they are extended, shut off your powerheads you can target feed them. The reason they came out when you did a water change is because you stirred up a bunch of stuff from your rockwork and/or sand and among that was particles that the acros recognized as food.

It has nothing to do with you making your acros mad, it is because you made them happy. If they were mad, they would slime and while it looks somewhat similar to the filaments, the slime detaches, the filaments don't!

The filaments extending from you acro are for feeding. If you want to replicate it, turn off your return pump at dawn or dusk in your tank, dose a little bit of AAs, and broadcast feed a few millileters of 10-200 micrometer sized foods (like oyster eggs) with your powerheads on then wait about a half hour. All (or a majority of) your acros will have them extended.

Once they are extended, shut off your powerheads you can target feed them. The reason they came out when you did a water change is because you stirred up a bunch of stuff from your rockwork and/or sand and among that was particles that the acros recognized as food.

It has nothing to do with you making your acros mad, it is because you made them happy. If they were mad, they would slime and while it looks somewhat similar to the filaments, the slime detaches, the filaments don't!

Correct,I'm actually going to try and get some different SPS food or some type of AA besides Zeovit products.

As for the filaments,they weren't coming out of where the corallites come out of,but out of the the skeleton/body itself and were bright white and thick and came out of the body and went back in. All of my acro's produce the clearish stringy feeding filaments whenever I feed my acans. I make sure before I feed my acans I suck up some of the "juice" in the bottle before I shake the bottle to get what I need for my acans.

Correct,I'm actually going to try and get some different SPS food or some type of AA besides Zeovit products.

As for the filaments,they weren't coming out of where the corallites come out of,but out of the the skeleton/body itself and were bright white and thick and came out of the body and went back in. All of my acro's produce the clearish stringy feeding filaments whenever I feed my acans. I make sure before I feed my acans I suck up some of the "juice" in the bottle before I shake the bottle to get what I need for my acans.

Yep it comes out all over the acro - especially around the base or really thick branches.

Archived