Pod Your Reef

Chungy's 50g rimless | New ATI SunPower 6x24

Chungy

I went out to get a few more pieces of rocks yesterday when I went to the LFS to pick up a bucket of salt. I almost completely filled the DT last night, but ran out of water before I can top it off and fill the sump. So I made another 30 gallons or so water overnight, I should be able to fill everything when I get home this afternoon. I could have bought another Brute to store more water earlier on, but I felt like it would probably just sit there after the tank had it's initial filling, so I'm just doing it slowly. The tank was almost clear when I checked this morning, rinsing the sand beforehand helped a lot I think.

Will take a proper FTS when everything is running tonight!

Think I have to go find some Dr. Tim one and only to start the cycle rather than seeding it with one of my live rock from the biocube, hopefully one of the LFS has it, I have to call around to see. I might just go and grab it lunch time.

If it doesn't you can easily get it online and you need ammonia or a small fish to feed the bacteria

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it doesn't you can easily get it online and you need ammonia or a small fish to feed the bacteria

I have a bottle of ammonia used previously for cycling my spec V. ;)

If I can't find it locally, I will just seed it with one of my live rocks, just thought the Dr. Tim stuffs would speed it up by providing more bacteria needed to start the nitrogen cycle.

Looking good!!

Thankfully (?) I live in an apartment or I'd have probably upgraded right away too!

Lol thanks! You are right, we were in a condo before now, all the equipment for this build made it to the new house the same weekend we moved it. Wanting to upgrade had a lot to do with the final choice of the new place we were gonna get. :happy:

LFS all out of Dr. Tim's, but they do have Seachem "stability", guess i will try that.

Sad nvm, anything may work, just to speed it up

I like the Nay pic personally. Not a big fan of that big rock on the left side.

Agreed. I have since picked up a couple more pieces of dry rock to make the left side a little more closer to the 3/5 rule, looks little bit more visually appealing, well I think...

Will post some pics later today when I add the remaining water and have the water running.

I will probably leave the skimmer and reactors off until cycle completed since I have nothing to preserve in the tank.

Here is the FTS as of this morning. Still crappy phone pic...couldn't find the battery and charger for my dslr... <_<

6birnF.jpg

I couldn't find my bottle of ammonia last night, will have to stop by Ace Hardware after work today.

Will make the video of sound of the drain today as promised.

i dig the red light, my taste in tank accessories and furniture lately has been on the very bright side, IE julian sprungs bright red tank stand.

i dig the red light, my taste in tank accessories and furniture lately has been on the very bright side, IE julian sprungs bright red tank stand.

I love that tank, especially how it is on acrylic

I had to look it up, it is a sweet setup.

In my case, I'm just a hardcore fan for Manchester United. :D

yes please a video would be nice! Im debating either that set up you got, or Mame. which cost a bit and maintenance can be doodoo, but its just sooo cllleeaannn. and for my 22 gal the turn over should be good.

Here is the video, sound of the drain to sump without overflow.

You almost can only hear it if you are really close to it, but on the downside the flow is reduced to the very minimum, my ball valve is barely open, any more flow will cause a gurgling noise. So think twice before you go this route, I would definitely go with some type of overflow.

Haven't had much update since the tank is cycling slowly. I dosed 4ppm of ammonia to start the cycle, then added Bacter7 with the suggested dose on the label. After 2 days with no signs of nitrite or drop of ammonia, I added a piece of LR from my other tank to seed it, 2 more days later I started to notice a slight increase in nitrite indicating the cycle has officially started.

I always use one of those ammonia patch to monitor the ammonia while cycling, I won't check the water parameters again until the patch indicating normal level of ammonia. At the rate this is going, I think it will be at least another 2 weeks before it is ready.

I replaced the 1260 with a Eheim compact 3000, the 1260 was humming way too much for my taste. I tried various methods to try to silence it but no luck. The new pump is awesome, I can barely notice any noise with the door closed, no annoying hum neither unless I put my head in the sump area. Probably going to use the 1260 to transport water between the Brute and the saltwater mixing bucket.

Clean tank - looks great. Love that NanoBox!

Thank you, sir!

I dosed another 2ppm yesterday, woke up this morning and the ammonia patch is showing normal level of ammonia (0ppm), I'll do some tests later to see if all of it has been converted to nitrate, getting there!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Endured a couple of re-orgs at work, have been super busy since transitioning from a SDET to a Dev at work.

Alot has happened since couple months ago. The tank was infested with ichs just before I went on Christmas vacation back to the Virgin Islands (all my family is there, lived there for 15+ years since I was little). Took me 1 whole week to trap the fishes without doing major construction around the rocks, only 4 out of 8 fishes made it. :(

But those who made it are still in the hospital tank, I think the main tank has been fishless for more than 8 weeks. I dosed copper and the 4 fishes recovered nicely. So I still have my female Snowflake, azure damsel, yellow clown goby, and red dragonet.

Added a bunch of SPS, small frags of Zoas, ricordea, candy cane...

The SPS has been browning since I don't feed the tank anymore, and I'm struggling a little bit with the Nano box setting to set the perfect intensity without a par meter.

I am gonna take some pics later this weekend!

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Got me a 6x24" dimmable Sunpower fixture, made a new hanger for it, ignore the extra long screws and bunch of frags I have on the sand bed. :P

nkDJQlq.jpg

In the process of setting up a frag tank to host all those frags I have on the sand bed. I am probably going to use my spec V for now with the nano box tide that I had until I have time to build a stand for a 20L + 20L sump.

I switched to T5s to see if it yields better color, definitely missing that shimmer though.

What bulbs are you running in the fixture?

I bought the fixture from someone in RC, it came with these bulbs:

back

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI AquaBlue

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

front

I'm thinking of getting a Coral+ in place of the AquaBlue Special, might have to get a couple more bulbs to try different combo. Only wish LFS would sell ATI bulbs. :(

Archived