inTank Media Baskets

Chungy's 50g rimless | New ATI SunPower 6x24

Chungy

Yes, that is! Thanks for finding the link, I knew he had a thread here somewhere. They were more active on a local forum though.

Now to think about it, it was sort of an impulse buy, I would probably just get everything brand new had I spent some time to do more researches before agreeing to purchase his setup, but seeing the setup in person definitely convinced me somehow, it was beautiful in his living room. :lol:

This build so far has been a really good experience for me, getting the chances to learn how to set up a DT and sump properly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the baffles in the sump last night.

HFYfo6.jpg

eQ6tHO.jpg

Not the prettiest of silicone workmanship, but it should be functional...left this over night to dry and cure.

jwhdJ6.jpg

Not too bad a silicone job really, for DIY. Soon as it starts to go to work itll look just fine.

Totally used my finger to smother in the silicone, I tried to imitate the pro (on youtube) with a stick or whatever tool they use, but made a mess the first try, after that is "#### it I'ma use my damn finger". B)

Silicone DIY tips...

Buy a box of nitrile gloves.

And a 3/8" acrylic rod. Use the rod to do the filletting, and remove silicone with gloved hand each swipe. Use your gloved finger if you like, change gloves ad lib.

You can get down into tight baffle spaces this way, like an inch between, 16 to 18" deep if you have to.

Use blue tape to mask off your lines, remove tape when silicone is still wet.

Awesome! That will keep my finger free of stickiness and smelling like acetic acid, and a better looking sump.

Another trick with fingers is to dip your finger in a mix of rubbing alcohol and water and then swipe.

Silicone DIY tips...

Buy a box of nitrile gloves.

And a 3/8" acrylic rod. Use the rod to do the filletting, and remove silicone with gloved hand each swipe. Use your gloved finger if you like, change gloves ad lib.

You can get down into tight baffle spaces this way, like an inch between, 16 to 18" deep if you have to.

Use blue tape to mask off your lines, remove tape when silicone is still wet.

Another trick with fingers is to dip your finger in a mix of rubbing alcohol and water and then swipe.

Wish i knew this last night, lol. The bubble trap was a struggle, I used a chop stick. I got the middle baffle done first which was straight forward, but getting the "insides" of the 2 other baffles was messy to say the least, there wasn't enough room to use clamp and shim stick that I used to guide the first 2 baffles, so I put the silicone on the line that i drew as well as the bottom of the baffle, then manually slide it in to line up with lines on both sides of the tank, add more silicone to the other side, then repeat.

This info will come in handy next time. Thanks for the info! :happy:

This is gold. Masking tape = magical.

Agree!

CatfishSoupFTW

question. What do you reckon noise levels would be with the the set up you got (no overflow box?) im debating on a similar set up but im conflicted on potential noise, and what height to make the holes.

question. What do you reckon noise levels would be with the the set up you got (no overflow box?) im debating on a similar set up but im conflicted on potential noise, and what height to make the holes.

While I was leak testing it in the garage (before I pull everything apart to redo the stand and sump), the siphon noise was loud when the return ball valve is wide open, which is expected. The trick is to reduce the flow by closing off the return to find the sweet spot where the water is draining to the sump at a rate where it is no longer producing that loud siphon noise, it wasn't completely silent, you can still hear some minimal noise of the water flowing through the pipe.

The center of the holes are 2 3/8 from from the top of tank. You can give it a shot, just leave enough space for an overflow in case you change your mind.

The tank was drilled when I got it from the local reefer who sold it to me, I would have probably gone with the mame overflow if it wasn't.

I am probably going to have the tank fill up by this weekend, I'll make a video to capture the noise and post it here if you want. :)

CatfishSoupFTW

yes please a video would be nice! Im debating either that set up you got, or Mame. which cost a bit and maintenance can be doodoo, but its just sooo cllleeaannn. and for my 22 gal the turn over should be good.

*grabs popcorn*, this should be good :).

Almost there! :)

yes please a video would be nice! Im debating either that set up you got, or Mame. which cost a bit and maintenance can be doodoo, but its just sooo cllleeaannn. and for my 22 gal the turn over should be good.

No problem.

Ordered some more stuffs from BRS:

• 2- BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor – Deluxe
  • 1/2 Gallon - BRS Bulk Premium ROX 0.8 Carbon
  • 1 lb BRS Bulk GFO
  • Salifert Carbonate Hardness & Alkalinity (Kh/Alk) Test Kit
  • Salifert Magnesium (MG) Test Kit
  • Elos Calcium Aqua Test Kit
  • Phosphate Low Range Colorimeter HI713 Hanna Checker HC - Fresh & Marine Water
  • Hanna HI713-25 Phosphate Checker Reagents - Marine & Fresh Water

Also received the additional MP10 that I got from the hardware classified.

Stand is painted and re-assembled, tank is on the stand, had to re-do some of the piping, but it's done. Going to grab one of those water changer that you hook up to the faucet tomorrow, then leak test the tank with the new sump while my RO/DI is producing water into the 32g brute I picked up from home depot.
So close!

Nano box is here!

b6wnBc.jpg

So...I rinsed the sand today...that means time to actually do the scape...

I need help deciding with or without the VidaRock Arch, sorry about the crappy phone pics...

Nay:

MXia3s.jpg

Yay:

NSKBZQ.jpg

Help! Yay or Nay!? :unsure:

Spiderguardnano

i like the first scape way better it will look sick when everything is filled in

i do think you can pick a better rock for the small left one

I vote first scape, although if you really want to incorporate the arch you could replace the back part of the right structure with it is naturally where i see to use it.

i like the first scape way better it will look sick when everything is filled in

i do think you can pick a better rock for the small left one

I actually ran out of rocks, that's the only one left from the 30lbs I ordered lol. I'll go to the LFS tomorrow to see if I can find a few more pieces.

I vote first scape, although if you really want to incorporate the arch you could replace the back part of the right structure with it is naturally where i see to use it.

I'm leaning toward the first one as well, I didn't think the arch was gonna work well with what I had in mind from the beginning, I will just take it out and save it for my office tank that I plan to start in the next few months. :D

I'm also liking the first one.

Two things I learned about scaping..

• Make sure the rocks aren't sitting on top the sand (wasn't sure from the pics), or something will burrow underneath and cause a shift
  • It's natural to try and make the 'scape look complete on day one without thinking how the coral will add to the height and fullness later.

I'm also liking the first one.

Two things I learned about scaping..

• Make sure the rocks aren't sitting on top the sand (wasn't sure from the pics), or something will burrow underneath and cause a shift
  • It's natural to try and make the 'scape look complete on day one without thinking how the coral will add to the height and fullness later.

Sadly the rocks were placed on top of the sand, although I "wedged" the rocks into the sand to make it appeared like it was in the tank before the sand.

I glued the top pieces of the structure, so it's pretty solid on top.

Still don't have a plan for corals stocking yet, I have a vision in mind to keep things colorful, honestly I think that is the more difficult part than the scape itself.

I went out to get a few more pieces of rocks yesterday when I went to the LFS to pick up a bucket of salt. I almost completely filled the DT last night, but ran out of water before I can top it off and fill the sump. So I made another 30 gallons or so water overnight, I should be able to fill everything when I get home this afternoon. I could have bought another Brute to store more water earlier on, but I felt like it would probably just sit there after the tank had it's initial filling, so I'm just doing it slowly. The tank was almost clear when I checked this morning, rinsing the sand beforehand helped a lot I think.

Will take a proper FTS when everything is running tonight!

Think I have to go find some Dr. Tim one and only to start the cycle rather than seeding it with one of my live rock from the biocube, hopefully one of the LFS has it, I have to call around to see. I might just go and grab it lunch time.

Archived