1. 1. Has it failed?

• No
    • Yes
  2. 2. Were you running a powerhead?

• Yes - No failure to date
    • No - No failure to date
    • Yes - Failure
    • No - Failure
  3. 3. Do you have clamp on lighting systems?

• Yes - No failure to date
    • No - No failure to date
    • Yes - Failure
    • No - Failure

I feel like an interesting thing to do would be to poll the members here on who's Nuvo 16/24 has failed/hasn't failed, just to see some actual numbers going.

Hopefully did the poll correctly. Please only vote if a Nuvo you've owned has failed - do not vote if you have heard of have seen a friend's Nuvo fail.

If not alot of interest, I'll just have the topic deleted.

My 16 has been up and running almost 4 months and hasn't failed (yet). I don't plan on sitting around waiting for it to fail though, so I'm already looking for a replacement tank. I've spent to much money on equipment and coral for this tank to give out on me. Not to mention, if it pops it'll destroy my wooden floors and the downstairs ceiling.

My 16 has been up and running almost 4 months and hasn't failed (yet). I don't plan on sitting around waiting for it to fail though, so I'm already looking for a replacement tank. I've spent to much money on equipment and coral for this tank to give out on me. Not to mention, if it pops it'll destroy my wooden floors and the downstairs ceiling.

That's what I'm nervous about - I got mine used and it's been running for about 2 months, but I'd rather head off the issue now when everything is still inside a glass box, not outside of it.

I've got a 16. It's been about a year now, and it's still going strong. I did, however, have a NC28's bottom seal give out on me. Still haven't resealed that thing; maybe when I'm not in an apartment anymore.

Endless to say.. there is not a tank manufacture without their flaws. Is it the case of "some more than others" or is it simply that there are more cases revolving around Innovative Marine due to the greater number of people who buy these tanks over others. Visually they are top notch, among the best AIO tanks out there- its no wonder that many people jump in and buy them. Quite possibly a Quantity over Quality issue.

No failure yet (6 months in).

Im more curious about the equipment which was running on these tanks at the time of failure ie: power heads added including return pumps, was your light setup clipped on to the frame of the tank (if upgraded)? Where was your day to day water level...

I'm actually really curious as to how level the tanks were when they gave out. It's true that the curved glass is less strong than having actual seams in the front, but with the 6mm glass (on the 16, anyway) it shouldn't be so terrible, right? Maybe there was a small height difference that put the front under more pressure, or maybe there were vibrations from something like an earthquake, or the floor settling, or evil neighbors practicing witchcraft or whatever, who knows.

Does the 24 have thicker glass? Hmm

IIRCC, the 24 initially shipped with a thinner glass (6mm?) and in later batches changed to 7mm. I bet most if not all of the failures come from the "early" units.

Good points as well about leveling and supplemental powerheads... I imagine a slightly off level tank sporting an MPxx/WPxx-style powerhead set to one of the higher-energy flow patterns would definitely stress the glass in interesting and unforseen ways.

A search will bring up all the threads involving a leak. Theres a few not sure if its nearly as many as the 24g failures though.

I have done a general search, but I was hoping this would be a comparison to total number still running vs. failures.

Endless to say.. there is not a tank manufacture without their flaws. Is it the case of "some more than others" or is it simply that there are more cases revolving around Innovative Marine due to the greater number of people who buy these tanks over others. Visually they are top notch, among the best AIO tanks out there- its no wonder that many people jump in and buy them. Quite possibly a Quantity over Quality issue.

No failure yet (6 months in).

Im more curious about the equipment which was running on these tanks at the time of failure ie: power heads added including return pumps, was your light setup clipped on to the frame of the tank (if upgraded)? Where was your day to day water level...

Can definitely add more poll options for powerheads, clamp on lights for who have experienced failures as well as currently intact tanks.

I'm actually really curious as to how level the tanks were when they gave out. It's true that the curved glass is less strong than having actual seams in the front, but with the 6mm glass (on the 16, anyway) it shouldn't be so terrible, right? Maybe there was a small height difference that put the front under more pressure, or maybe there were vibrations from something like an earthquake, or the floor settling, or evil neighbors practicing witchcraft or whatever, who knows.

Does the 24 have thicker glass? Hmm

That's an interesting detail to me as well - it's just hard to quantify or validate in my opinion. I'm not sure how to frame it and this would assume that the individual has checked to see if the tank was level pre-failure and post failure.

If there are common factors as to why the tanks have failed, then there might be a bigger picture to look at when it comes to the combination of variables that could lead to tank failures, and not only with just IM Tanks.

"Certain size/style (varying) of tank, with these add-ons have seen more failures" There is too much detail to go over, and too much data to collect, though it could be done, and would be informative if there were distinct common factors. For instance... if 7/10 of the most recent IM16 tanks failed, and had MP10's on them.. then I would most likely either not place one on my tank, or if I was a fan boy of Vortech, then I wouldnt buy any IM products.

What I have learned in my years.. its the people that break machines. Im not covering for IM.. but do you think they planned on some numb-nut who didnt level their tank correctly, or put an MP10 on their tank and ran it on full blast, or clipped on a light that weighed more then double/triple the OE equipment, added two return pumps, putting 20 pounds of sand in the DT, with 20 lbs of rock..... All of this "maxing out" could lead to failures to any tank.

Id add another poll question "Was this your first Saltwater Tank?"

Well the type of failure between the 24 and 16 is different. The 24 was a bursting in the curved section of glass hence the upgraded thickness in newer models, the 16 is a leaky seam. 2 different types of failures completely unrelated which is why if you have a 16 you don't need to even think about the 24.

Archived