Cultivated Reef

New to the site, saying hello!

slackcub

Hello everyone, I have already asked a couple questions in the beginners forum, but I figured I'd do a little introduction. My name is David, and I live in Chicago (have noticed a few of us on here). I have a coral life biocube 29, with stock lighting (at least for now), about 30# of live rock and just the cuc for now.

Looking forward to hanging with everyone here and learning lots!

On a side note, Chicago folks, where would you consider is a good place for an lfs? I'm going to Uptown Aquarium, and they seem good, except for maybe overselling me on my cuc, but want to know what my options are.

Editing to fix autocorrect stupidness.

Hola!Im still a new member(I had an account like 3 years ago but I forgot the password lol) but I liked it so much I came back!!It truly is a great place to learn

Oh and I live in San Diego California and my name is Rowan

Builder Anthony

Hi I grew up right by midway.Odd lot pet shop is a very old and friendly place.I remember chasing a unknown gobyaround in his live rock tubs.there's also a place in near desplaines called living reef aquarium or something like that.it gets in premium Fiji live rock 100 of pounds in shipments.I would find out the day they get it in and watch about 20 boxes get opened and pick stuff out.its near desplaines and I think it ends in the name aquarium its by a blue line stop and only a few blocks walking.its been a while since I been there.odd lots on like 79th and harlem

Hello everyone, I have already asked a couple questions in the beginners forum, but I figured I'd do a little introduction. My name is David, and I live in Chicago (have noticed a few of us on here). I have a coral life biocube 29, with stock lighting (at least for now), about 30# of live rock and just the cuc for now.

Looking forward to hanging with everyone here and learning lots!

On a side note, Chicago folks, where would you consider is a good place for an lfs? I'm going to Uptown Aquarium, and they seem good, except for maybe overselling me on my cup, but want to know what my options are.

Hello fellow Northsider! I just started my pico reef about 4 weeks ago and the guys over at Tankiteasy on Ashland/Waveland have been amazing. They don't have regular hours as they are more of a maintenance/moving tank company, but they DO have a large selection of marine fish.

I bought my live rock and live sand from them (they gave me water from their main tank for free to start). Super helpful GM (Reed) and the owners Tom/Bryan are very helpful. Their tanks are all gorgeous too - check them out!

Builder, I'll have to check that place out. I do live relatively off the blue line, so that may be pretty convenient for me ;}

cju84, what's the best way to get a hold of them? I'd like to check the place out.

Been to most of the LFS around here. I would recommend Aquapros (Glenn Ellyn), Reefwise (Lisle), InsaneCoral (Lombard). The only reasonably priced place IN the city is probably New Fish, but their prices still high IMO. Not as high as Old Town Aquarium or Old Orchard Aquarium or Living Sea. Those places are huge rip-offs. For example, Old Orchard wanted $35 for ONE ricordea. I get them for $10. FragCreation is pretty good too west of 90/94.

Or stop by my place by UIC and pick up some $10 frags. I have too much coral...=(.

I'll have to check out New Fish as they are theoretically on my way to/from work. How knowledgeable do you think they are? And once I get some other things under control, I may take you up on that frag offer ;}

i think it depends on who's working that day. your best resource for knowledge is right here in this forum. if you do buy something from New Fish, just mention you want to apply the 10% ChicagoReefs.com discount ;)

Builder, I'll have to check that place out. I do live relatively off the blue line, so that may be pretty convenient for me ;}

cju84, what's the best way to get a hold of them? I'd like to check the place out.

I'd just call them up. Think there is someone generally at the store - I've met/spoken to both owners. Super nice guys.

I honestly haven't completed decided yet. I know because I'd lighting constraints I need to stick to soft corals. Was hoping to find a good place to "window shop"

Archived