Cultivated Reef

NPS Reef in a Ten Gallon?

Dr.Brain Coral

Dr.Brain Coral

I am wondering If it would be Feasible to have a Semi-Nps reef in a Ten gallon? I am really only interested in Sun Corals and Tube anemones as far as Nps but I didn't know if having large amounts of Sun coral in a ten gallon would be a bad Idea since they need to be feed alot,

I am wondering If it would be Feasible to have a Semi-Nps reef in a Ten gallon? I am really only interested in Sun Corals and Tube anemones as far as Nps but I didn't know if having large amounts of Sun coral in a ten gallon would be a bad Idea since they need to be feed alot,

sun corals need fed less frequently than a lot of other nps, however each head is an individual feed which could present issues. I bet it would work since you wouldn't be broadcast feeding those types of coral and nems.

Okay. Do you think feeding Medium amounts of Live Brine shrimp would be a bad idea?

Basically for the suns your just going to use a long coral feeding baster and drip like hikari mysis into their mouths 1 at a time. pretty much same for the nems but those would probably eat bigger mysis like pe mysis which would get fed with forceps.

Okay. Tube nems actually like small particles of food.

word, then hikari mysis may end up being a catch all, i feed brine as a snack for my tank but only from reading its not that healthy compared to alternatives unless the brine is in the baby stage.

Dr.Brain Coral

Nice tank. I was thinking about doing a overhang but I didnt know how much room there would be above the overhang for other light loving corals.

Dr.Brain Coral

Another thing, What are our opinions on Reef2go? I was planning to order a Purple Tube anemone, a Sun coral, Dendro and 2 Bumblebee snails(maybe)

No ones ordered from them?

Reviews are generally crappy... I did order some dendro's from them... one came healthy.. the other came starved. The starving one needed serious TLC to bring back (had no tentacles left at all). It probably just depends how long it has been sitting at their facility. They most likely don't feed them.

I tried a fish once... VERY POORLY packed... and very dead. I would never try a fish again. They sent it in probably a cup of water with no black out bags. Zoas/pallys often melt (some fresh cut).

Their inverts (crabs, ect) shipped just fine (but its hard to kill a snail/crab).

It is sort of hard to find places to buy dendro's so I understand why you are thinking of them. I would probably just take the risk... just realize it is a risk.

It's a calculated risk... locally most NPS are somewhat unreasonably priced... think $40-50 a head, except for some sun corals that have been in one store's frag tanks long enough to spawn themselves.

Personally, given the rock bottom prices on them and if they list exactly what you're looking for I'd chance $20-30 for a chance at a decent assortment... but as Tambrev states R2G is somewhat famed for dissatisfied customers. I would also make my purchase using a gift amex/visa card (even if it's one you buy yourself at a groceryou store or the like)... given reports of their website's irregularities there's no way its CC processor's not as full of holes as swiss cheese.

Diver's Den is worth keeping an eye on too. Prices aren't bad, larger colonies are around 20-30 bucks and I have seen small frags for $10-15.

They end up with more hard to find things as well.

The NPS I received from them were in exceptional health.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/CatDisplay.cfm?c=2733+10

I am tempted to purchase one of those Balano's as you don't see them offered often.

Diver's Den is worth keeping an eye on too. Prices aren't bad, larger colonies are around 20-30 bucks and I have seen small frags for $10-15.

They end up with more hard to find things as well.

The NPS I received from them were in exceptional health.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/CatDisplay.cfm?c=2733+10

I am tempted to purchase one of those Balano's as you don't see them offered often.

they are a colder water deal aren't they? I looked at em and thought it was pretty sweet looking.

they are a colder water deal aren't they? I looked at em and thought it was pretty sweet looking.

Nah, they do fine at normal temps. I have one but those look like they might be a different color.

Nah, they do fine at normal temps. I have one but those look like they might be a different color.

awesome, i always worry im cooking them sous-vide if I get anything from a slightly cooler temp

Archived