Cultivated Reef

Help Identifying This Worm

adriannek

Does anyone know what type of worm this is? I have been having trouble identifying it to even look up basic information. Also, is it good or bad? If it's bad, what do I do to get rid of it? And is there anything else I need to know about it?

I never noticed it in the tank before until after we got a new coral. It seemed to live in and around the coral, but I didn't see it when I first put the coral in the tank so don't know if it came from some live rock we added a little before. The coral never seemed to open up after adding it and I wondered if the worm was just pestering it when it moved around, but since then, the coral appears to be dying and is covered in a light brown substance and the worm has since moved up to this patch of algae. Did the worm kill it? Is is dangerous to my other coral, fish, or me?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-85125-0-38048800-1411442267_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what type of worm this is? I have been having trouble identifying it to even look up basic information. Also, is it good or bad? If it's bad, what do I do to get rid of it? And is there anything else I need to know about it?

I never noticed it in the tank before until after we got a new coral. It seemed to live in and around the coral, but I didn't see it when I first put the coral in the tank so don't know if it came from some live rock we added a little before. The coral never seemed to open up after adding it and I wondered if the worm was just pestering it when it moved around, but since then, the coral appears to be dying and is covered in a light brown substance and the worm has since moved up to this patch of algae. Did the worm kill it? Is is dangerous to my other coral, fish, or me?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Does it look like an accordion? Like the segements can stretch when it moves, looks that way in the picture. I hope its not bad kuz it looks way cool.

my guess maybe based on i dont see legs http://www.melevsreef.com/critters/capitellid-worm

Archived