Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Musings about salt.

FreshStartMarine

FreshStartMarine

Hey all,

When I ran my 75-gallon FOWLR tank, I just used whatever salt came with the stuff my friend dropped off. I couldn't even tell you what it was. My inner cynic is telling me that it's all probably coming from the same Chinese company anyway. But I have to ask: is there a product that stands out as a better salt? I'd like to include coral in the tank at some point(probably sticking to some softies), and so I'm wondering if one or the other includes some kind of trace elements that may be beneficial.

I'm looking at the Red Sea stuff right now, since it's in my budget and I've generally had good luck with Red Sea stuff. It's also what my LFS guy said they use, although that might just be a sales pitch.

Is it one of those cases where anything works and there's no real difference, or are you guys picky about your salt?

I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

If you're just planning on doing softies, you won't even need to dose ever, as long as you keep up with your WC's.

I think it's cheaper than Red Sea as well!

I cant speak personally since i get mine premade but most opinions i hear is that coral pro salt is the best in terms of what you need and when it comes to mixing u have a small tub just have not mixed my own water yet

I have been using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. There are some more expensive brands that are supposedly much purer and of better quality (hw-reefer, etc). But, as mentioned by ETucc, if you are only keeping soft/ LPS a water change should suffice any dosing requirements. From what I have heard when it comes to salt, stability and consistency are much more important than brand.

Hey all,

When I ran my 75-gallon FOWLR tank, I just used whatever salt came with the stuff my friend dropped off. I couldn't even tell you what it was. My inner cynic is telling me that it's all probably coming from the same Chinese company anyway. But I have to ask: is there a product that stands out as a better salt? I'd like to include coral in the tank at some point(probably sticking to some softies), and so I'm wondering if one or the other includes some kind of trace elements that may be beneficial.

I'm looking at the Red Sea stuff right now, since it's in my budget and I've generally had good luck with Red Sea stuff. It's also what my LFS guy said they use, although that might just be a sales pitch.

Is it one of those cases where anything works and there's no real difference, or are you guys picky about your salt?

No not really. As long as it mixes up to the Alk/Mg/Ca you want.

I use Coralife and Kent salt because they are both cheap and the values mix up exactly where I need them for my corals.

I use Brightwells salt mix. I used IO reef salt when I first started and its ok, takes longer to mix up. I used Fritz salt once and I liked it, but hard to get. I've been using Brightwells awhile now and I just like it more. I like that it mixes to exactly what is shown on the side of the bucket. 7.5 dkh, 410 calc, and 1300 mag. It also mixes fast, but I still let it mix overnight before using. Only issues is its more expensive and I think its mostly pure lye mixed with some additives. I say this because you can't have any moisture on your hands when you scoop this stuff. Else you will get serious chemical burns. It also releases some gasses that will irritate your nostril and eyes when mixing. Best to pour the salt into the water than water into the salt.

FreshStartMarine

Well, my water-change policy has always been to fill a bucket, add a pump and some heat, and then add "treatments"(salt, in this case) to the water. Then I allow it to mix overnight, check parameters, and do the water change the next day. I guess this is just a long way of saying that fast mixing is a non-issue for me.

Maybe I'll grab a list of salts available within my budget and throw it up here. I suppose you guys could make all the product recommendations you want, and none of it helps me unless they're locally available.

So let me phrase a question like this: have you found that your corals or other livestock have reacted adversely after changing from one salt to another?

I used nothing but Instant Ocean Reef crystals in my 36G. Now with my 75G I have used both Reef Crystals and Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Reef crystals seem to be a little higher in calcium and lower in Alk that Coral Pro.

Hey... I am all for cheap...BUT.... this "buy the cheapest" doesn't matter much with salt. The difference between the cheapest and the most expensive salt is less than 20 cents per gallon. Since this is (or was) a nano reefing site you're talking about 30 bucks a year maximum savings. Pick the salt you like and go with it.

Hey... I am all for cheap...BUT.... this "buy the cheapest" doesn't matter much with salt. The difference between the cheapest and the most expensive salt is less than 20 cents per gallon. Since this is (or was) a nano reefing site you're talking about 30 bucks a year maximum savings. Pick the salt you like and go with it.

Good point. I use Red Sea Coral Pro. Of course I am a newbie; my tank has only been up since March.

But, a lot of people I know that are "veterans" use this salt.

Just began a swap from RSCP to reef crystals. Did a maybe 60/40 mix of the 2 on yesterday's wc. Gonna do another small one this week with a little more reef crystals until its all reef crystals.

Coral pro seemed good, but coated my mixing pumps and container all the time, so gave a swap a shot. Today everything in tank seems pretty happy and all my params are still on point

Bulk Reef Supply here in Minnesota claims to use Red Sea Coral Pro salt in all of their tanks. I saw their main display clown and nem tank and it is awesome!

Yup yup!!!

And Live Aquaria/Divers' Den uses Reef Crystals.

Basically... if it meets your alk/ca/mg needs... just keep it stable and coral will thrive.

This "veteran" uses RSCP as well and my acros couldn't be happier!

BTW, I don't get the white coating that was mentioned earlier. I think if you mix it too long, this happens. Red Sea recommends using it right away, after mixing.

Archived