inTank Media Baskets

Red mushroom has mark on it.

k4ndyk1ng

From the picture it looks like some type of flatworm. If you touch it it will move if so. I have (unfortunately) had experience with this. My mushrooms were where they were first noticed.

From the picture it looks like some type of flatworm. If you touch it it will move if so. I have (unfortunately) had experience with this. My mushrooms were where they were first noticed.
Can I remove them? And will they eat better corals like sps, this shroom is the suicide coral lol

Thanks for the help too

There are "reef safe" chemicals on the market for killing flatworms. There are a lot of different types of flatworms so first you need to identify that it is indeed a flatworm and then the type. some do in fact harm sps others are just an eyesore and will multiply at an extreme rate. I am currently trying a Springer's Damsel and a Dragonet for a natural approach to keep them in check. When I see them I remove them with my Julians Thing coral feeder but a turkey baster would suck them off the mushroom, glass, and whatever else they may be on. You can also RODI dip the coral (as long as its safe for the type of coral) to remove them as well. I did a RODI dip on a hairy mushroom that was pissed and wouldn't fully extend and a ton of worms fell off. The mushroom recovered just fine from the dip also.

So anyway, first step is to positively identify that it is a flatworm. If it is, try to get a good clear photo of it and post it for us to help you identify the type.

There are "reef safe" chemicals on the market for killing flatworms. There are a lot of different types of flatworms so first you need to identify that it is indeed a flatworm and then the type. some do in fact harm sps others are just an eyesore and will multiply at an extreme rate. I am currently trying a Springer's Damsel and a Dragonet for a natural approach to keep them in check. When I see them I remove them with my Julians Thing coral feeder but a turkey baster would suck them off the mushroom, glass, and whatever else they may be on. You can also RODI dip the coral (as long as its safe for the type of coral) to remove them as well. I did a RODI dip on a hairy mushroom that was pissed and wouldn't fully extend and a ton of worms fell off. The mushroom recovered just fine from the dip also.

So anyway, first step is to positively identify that it is a flatworm. If it is, try to get a good clear photo of it and post it for us to help you identify the type.

thanks for the help, i poked it with some tweezers and it scurried off, so it is defiantly a flatworm, unfortunately i cant get a much better photo. this coral and rock came from an sps dominated tank and this was under a rock in the shade, so i will try to catch them but hopefully it will be ok, and once agin thanks for your help :)

You're welcome. It will come back to the shroom. I have read that they feed on the coral's zooxanthellae. The next time you see it try to suck it out with something and put it in a white container where you can photograph it.

ps. This is a good example of why it is always best to dip the coral before it goes in the tank. I am guilty of it also which is why I am currently going through the same issue. :)

You're welcome. It will come back to the shroom. I have read that they feed on the coral's zooxanthellae. The next time you see it try to suck it out with something and put it in a white container where you can photograph it.

ps. This is a good example of why it is always best to dip the coral before it goes in the tank. I am guilty of it also which is why I am currently going through the same issue. :)

i will try to pipette him out, they move surprisingly fast, once again ty for all the help

Archived