inTank Media Baskets

Cheffy's Fluval Spec V Build

OCNcheffy

Another question.. My older clownfish was completely orange as of October 1st, and now a month later, he's slowly turning black from the top to the upper middle. Is this a sign of turning female due to introducing another smaller clown to the tank?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured I'd give another update on this regarding the status of my tank. So far, the clowns are perfect with each other now and have paired completely I believe. I've purchased a cleaner shrimp a few days ago and he's roaming around the tank now too. Haven't caught him cleaning the clowns yet, but he definitely is interesting! I have an ATO on the the way, so life should be a bit easier and stability should be even better too. Everything seems to be growing like crazy as well. I've fragged my xenia and sold half of it for $10 which isn't too bad! Here's some of the new corals I've gotten as well:

Candy Cane

IMG_2171.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp

IMG_2172.jpg

Green Tipped Frogspawn

IMG_2170.jpg

Torch Coral

IMG_21601.jpg

Tank Shot
IMG_2169.jpg

• 1 month later...

Alright I figured I'd give an update on this build from the last update about a month ago. I lost my small clownfish due to jumping.. So i've since fashioned a screen lid with Velcro strips for easy removal for cleaning/feeding.

I've added a bi-color blenny a few weeks back and replaced my jumper clown with a black clown that have seemed to already pair! Much faster than the last time as well.. Might be due to the black clown being bigger, who knows.. I'd added a ton of zoas,frogspawn, hammer, and a green bta! It's seemed to settle in the back of the tank and has been there for the past month and a bit. Clowns don't seem to care for it but crossing my fingers that they'll host it eventually.

Haven't had any issues as far as coral health, and everything is growing at a nice pace! Going to switch to red sea coral pro salt and see if things respond even better as far as growth. Anyhow, here's some new pics for you all:

Full tank shot:

IMG_2277.jpg

Growing Torch
IMG_2278.jpg

Clowns and Blenny

IMG_2280.jpg

Green BTA

IMG_2281.jpg

Sunny D's

IMG_2282.jpg

More Zoas

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

Frogspawn/Hammer Garden

IMG_2285.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so this might be the last update for this tank as I've purchased an Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 for $250 up here in Canada, which is insanely cheap.. Should arrive next week hopefully. I was getting tired of how little space I had to work in. Anyhow, I'll start a new thread with my Nuvo 16 upon arrival.

Yup! Going to get some sand, a new heater, then I need to match the water temp/salinity and migrate over one evening. Going to really take my time and scape the rocks nicely. I need to keep the big one as it has my LPS and bta attached, and the other little rocks can go anywhere really.. Looking forward to it!

Any tips on attaching things like frogspawn or torch? Did you just use the putty/super glue method?

I just used superglue to my live rock. Covered the stem of the frogspawn in it, and planted it down and splashed water in the tank over the glue to harden. It works pretty well!

Hows the nem doing? I just recently got myself one for my spec.

It's doing great! Expanding fully everyday and reaching about half way up the tank during the day. It has never moved so I assume it likes where it is as well.

Archived