Pod Your Reef

Cheffy's Fluval Spec V Build

OCNcheffy

Alright I finally got everything up and running today! I've got a salinity of 1.025 currently and a tank temp of 82 degrees to help with the cycle. I'm going to try and hunt down a bottle of ammonia tomorrow to cycle the tank with, instead of food. Does anyone know how much ammonia you add to my 5.5 gallon tank at a time? Currently I added some fish food from my freshwater tank to get things started at least.

Here's some pictures:

Blue LED's turned way down.. The camera didn't like it.

IMG_1980.jpg

Tank lighting currently - 40% White/100% Blue
IMG_1978.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great start so far! you said you were open to scape suggestions earlier so maybe

in the first pic remove/relocate far left rock then push the middle rock back to the false wall

i think it would give it a nice drop off effect similar to this http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/arwndsh/P1050464.jpg

only without the upper shallow portion.. just throwin out an idea

Great suggestion! I'll give that a try tomorrow evening. Looks like I'm gonna go get a single shrimp from the local grocery store and let it sit until I have some ammonia spiking. Seems like the most popular way to start the cycle.

Alright I added a cooked shrimp to the tank for a day and also bought a small peice of live rock. Looks like I got 3 small bristle worms (the good kind) with it! My ammonia spiked to 2.0 so I pulled the shrimp and I'll leave my tank for a few more days and continue testing for nitrite. Also, I have this weird shell thing that is partly open on my live rock. If I turn the lights off, the shell immediately closes. It's only open maybe 2cm.. Any idea on what it could be? Here's some pics:

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

Tank is coming along! As far as that hitchhiker I am gonna guess a bivalve? Looks like it but I'm no expert so maybe someone else will chime in on this. Anyway I will be following along so be sure to keep us heavily updated :)

Good news everyone! My ammonia hit 0ppm today after being past 2ppm yesterday morning, it was a super dark green. My nitrite is now a dark purple so I'm guessing around 5ppm and my nitrate is close to 20ppm! The cycle should almost be complete in a few more days I'm hoping.. Here's a pic:

IMG_1992.jpg

The tests are still showing like the picture above.. Any idea on how much longer the cycle should take? I'm guessing i'll see the nitrite drop to blue and the nitrate show an even more orange soon.

Don't think it's a big deal if it's on or off! I'd put it on.. for fun. haha. Hows the cycle coming, are you testing? Post up some cycle progress and numbers!

I'd leave them off the cycle creates a lot of nutrients, nutrients plus lights = algea

Alright here's the latest cycle numbers:

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 1.0ppm

Nitrate - 40ppm or a bit more

A few more days! I already picked up a small cleanup crew of 3 hermit crabs. Wouldn't mind a snail or something as well.

Here's some pics:
IMG_1986.jpg

Just did another test today and everything is 0 except for nitrate at 20ppm! Going to get some water to perform a big 50% change tomorrow! Friday I'm going to get a bigger CUC and possibly my first fish! Thinking of a Goby or Blenny, what would you guys recommend? Firefish are also pretty awesome...

I don't know much about blennies but I really want one, Im afraid it won't do well in my tank because I already have a pistol shrimp and with the tank being so small I think they would just battle for space. But they are really cute and interesting IMO. I recommend the blenny! :) Tank is getting there !

Huge update today! I've finished my cycle and performed a huge 40% water change tonight, and the nitrates are down to 5-10ppm at the moment. Salinity is currently 1.026. I've picked up some corals as well! Two polyps of green horn zoas and some Xenia! It's not much but I think its a great start. Someone wants to sell me a 2-3 sq" matt of GSP tomorrow night for $10 as well. I'm gonna get a better CUC to take care of that dead algea on the dead rock sometime this weekend. I've also received the In-Tank media basket which currently has some filter floss at the moment. The attached skimmer actually worked wonders to clear the film on the surface! Anyhow, here's some pics!

Green Horn Zoa
IMG_2009.jpg

Xenia

IMG_2005.jpg

What is that coral beneath the egg crate? It doesn't look like the same kind of Xenia.. Any suggestions?

IMG_2001.jpg

Full tank shot

IMG_1998.jpg

If you are on Facebook check this group out. Lots of great admins and they are fast to reply just in case its a pest.https://m.facebook.com/groups/506231769438839?message_id=765552043506809&comment_id=765697450158935&ref=m_notif&notif_t=like&actorid=100002097829715

You sure you want GSP? I've seen lots of pics of the stuff growing like a weed and growing anywhere lol. It is pretty though.

Xenia

What is that coral beneath the egg crate? It doesn't look like the same kind of Xenia.. Any suggestions?

IMG_2001.jpg

That looks like a majono nem imo.. I would kill it before it spreads. Inject it with some lemon juice or boiling hot water. Look up some stuff about them first because I'm not totally sure.

That's too bad.. I was actually enjoying how it glows under actinic lights. It actually moved onto the rock now, but i'll get rid of it tonight.

Another big update tonight guys! Since my tank is cycled, I went and bought a percula clownish! It's insane how hyper they are all day long.. Constantly swimming in the flow. I picked him up Saturday and finally today he's been more active and eating much more. Finally claimed a small spot in the tank to himself as well. I've also purchased some GSP and Frogspawn from a new LFS that opened on Sunday! Both look pretty great, although the GSP is still very small.

I plan on purchasing some Purigen and Chemi-pure very soon, maybe in the next few weeks. Here's some updated pics:

Max the clownfish

IMG_2039.jpg

Green Horn palys

IMG_2034.jpg

GSP

IMG_2032.jpg

Frogspawn - Actually two heads currently, splitting very slowly

IMG_2029.jpg

Full Tank Shot - A bit of rescaping

IMG_2027.jpg

Alright new update! So i've introduced a second clown, one that is smaller, to the tank. The first evening was a mess as my first clown which is bigger, constantly chased and rammed him. The bigger clown did the shake a few times in the first few minutes, but I haven't seen it since. The new smaller clown, has not done the "shake" and just simply dodges and turns away.

Today seems a bit better, as I woke up and noticed they were together in the dark. I dunno if this is progress, but at least he's not getting beat up like the first day. I'm thinking I'll give it a few weeks before swapping the clowns? What do you guys think?

Here's a video:

So my clowns seem to be getting better and better each day! The little one keeps wanting to surrender to the bigger clown, and just today i saw them both do the submissive "shake" at the same time! Another week or two I'm thinking.. I've recently bought some new corals as well! Here's the pics:

GSP

IMG_2096.jpg

Frogspawn
IMG_2092.jpg

Green Ricordia Florida

IMG_2090.jpg

Tiny Orange/Purple Ricordia Florida

IMG_2088.jpg

Green Mushroom

IMG_2078.jpg

Looking good man. I may be wrong but I think that the green ricordea is actually a yuma. Maybe someone else will know for sure but it just doesn't really look much like a florida. That green mushroom is really beautiful by the way :)

Thanks Cswan19, and yeah I think your actually right! Anyhow, I'm hoping to get a nice ricordea garden going on that rock. My dry rock is turning a wicked green, as if the algae is encrusted on the rock, you cant scrape it off so maybe it's coraline? I'm expecting it to turn purple soon. Here's a full tank shot:

IMG_2107.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the spec V club! That green mushroom looks awesome! How do you like your Orbit LED light?

Yeah! The mushroom is getting bigger every week, pretty pumped about that. The Orbit Marine light is pretty slick! My palys are not reaching at all, just expanding nice and flat, and my frogspawn is getting huge! Completely split into two separate heads now. I love the half hour ramp lighting and the moonlights. Pretty good value for the dollar.

Archived