inTank Media Baskets

Frag Tank Filtration.

ChesterRxs

Hello,

So I'm planning to start a frag tank, but nothing too large. Probably a 10gallon, cuz thats all i can fit in my room. Just going to frag some Zoas and some other softies. I'm planning to use an AC50 for the filter and put some chemi-pure blue in it for chemical filtration. I won't be putting any substrate for easier maintenance. As for biological I was planning to put this stuff http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Marinepure-High-Performance-Biofilter-Media-2QT-1.5.html under the egg create frag plug holder just like how Bulk Reed Supply did in their frag tank setup in this video (skip to 2:50) or if I have enough space I can also cram it in the AC50

I just wanted to know if that is a good idea or are there better alternatives to this. Also, I was planning to add a small basket inside the tank for some macro algea and put it in the lowest flow area.

All help is appreciated. Thanks

Those balls are way too big for that.

They are an inch and a half in diameter. BRS is using like 1/2" balls to fit in the grooves of those hydroponic pot growing containers they sell.

Youll probably get 4 in the AC50.

It comes in 8x8x1 squares. And 8x8x4 squares which is way too big for a 10 gallon.

These are best used like bio balls of old. Prefiltered water, even pre skimmed, and water should flow through the media at a pretty good clip. I stir mine about weekly or so. You want NO detritus collecting on these for them to work.

Check out Cermedia s videos on YouTube for application idea.

Oh, and Johns Reefcleaner rocks are just as porous if not more so. If you smash up a couple rocks they equal $50 or so worth if Cermedia balls. 50 pound box is like $100 delivered, thats equal to like $600 worth of Cermedia.

Not saying the Cermedia is not good, it is doing well in my testing. Cuts glass film algae by about a third. What used to take 1 day to collect, now takes 3+ days to collect. One gallon Cermedia, 40 gallon tank, 20 gallon sump.

Not gonna lie I was actually really considering this option. I mean it's not really gonna be a show tank. Just a place where I can keep my extra frags. You think a few pounds of dry rock will do the trick?

If you smash up a couple rocks they equal $50 or so worth if Cermedia balls.

Well, I wouldnt do filtration like BRS have, just balls in the grooves.

Check the Cermedia videos on YouTube as to how its to be used.

Then try and duplicate that either with Cermedia or ReefCleaners rock rubble. I have mine submerged, but the water flows UP through it. And its prefiltered, pre-skimmed water. If you dont, its just going to collect detritus, and become the nitrate factory that bioballs get blamed for.

Running a 10 gallon frag tank is going to take the same work as a 40 gallon frag tank, I would nix the 10 gallon myself and go 40 gallons.

I would even consider going down to the local hydroponics store, and see if I could put together the $500 BRS frag tank for $150. Most of the BRS system is shipping (and say so in one of their vids).

Archived