ReefCleaners.org

help I need an answer quick

amphipod

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

come on I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but I know better than to swallow the water I always spit it out. So I also just added some fresh water the water by relative taste was saltier, I couldn't discern it a few hours ago but I've ben coughing up a ton of phlem since then, how soon should I see if it worked?

I know the salt by how Petco water sample #1 tastes like

I can't. I actually can't even. You realize that your mouth has some of the thinnest membranes in your body, right? In contact with the outside world? Did your health classes not teach you about STDs? Literally any horrible thing in that water could've gotten into your body. Go to a hospital.

I'm sorry but I've swallowed litres of salt water in my life living at the coast and I've never got ill - I don't think I've been sick in 20 years, I can assure you nothing bad is going to happen if you taste salt water. Or maybe I'm just the luckiest person on earth. (doubt it)

OK, ok, I'll quit tasting the aquarium water. And yes my teachers have told us of STDs and the horrors of gonorrhea, aids, chlamidia etc.

that didn't escalate quickly......

Yeah I googled of my issues, but to no avail, there wasn't enough info about aiptasia ills. I at present have harpactoids bubble and Stein algae. I got other aiptasia in a in a different enclosure

Refractometers are not cheap you know, there were also none at the pet store, is there any way to save them if by any chance there was any iodine in the salt?

You can get a glass hydrometer for about $3 to test the salinity with. Petco carries them here or same price with free shipping on ebay. Be sure to rinse with fresh water after use.

This: http://www.petco.com/product/9183/Petco-Aquarium-Hydrometer-with-Thermometer.aspx?cm_mmc=bazaarvoice-_-RLP-_-9183-_-productname_link

Don't use table salt. Reef salt contains many things needed besides Sodium Chloride. The fact that they are bailing off the rock, means they are seriously pissed off. Get free waste water if you can from a fish store.

No but some have iodine as a nutrient supplement. Also in a sense there is actual ocean water with some of my added, if you look at my posts you will find one "what is the mystery creature" I used that old aquarium water from Houston. Also what will aiptasia do of there is too much salt or too little salt?

From Wikipedia...

Iodide: An iodide ion is the ion I. Compounds with iodine in formal oxidation state are called iodides. This page is for the iodide ion and its salts, not organoiodine compounds. In everyday life, iodide is most commonly encountered as a component of iodized salt, which many governments mandate. Worldwide, iodine deficiency affects two billion people and is the leading preventable cause of intellectual disability.

Iodine most commonly refers to the disinfectant used in hospitals. It's that rusty brown/red liquid they rub on your skin in the area where you recieve a shot or incision.

Though similiar, they are different. Iodine, in it's elemental state, is not water-soluable, meaning that it CAN NOT diffuse in water. That's where Iodide comes in.

Hope you learned something today.

come on I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but I know better than to swallow the water I always spit it out. So I also just added some fresh water the water by relative taste was saltier, I couldn't discern it a few hours ago but I've ben coughing up a ton of phlem since then, how soon should I see if it worked?

I know the salt by how Petco water sample #1 tastes like

Spitting it out doesn't mean you get all the who knows what out of your mouth...as Maria said all the diseases you can get because you are to cheap to buy a 30$ refractometer aren't worth your life.Just go buy a refractometer so you stop putting your life at risk over a pest anemone

I'd rather go back to Iraq, naked, with a giant American flag back tattoo, flipping off the entire city of Fallujah while running down Route Uranium, armed with nothing but a blowpop and a leashed weenie dog than eat table salt filled, Aptasia poop water. Just yesterday I had to prime my siphon by sucking on the end.... water in my mouth and I bitched about it for three days. I like your style amphipod. You could be the first person to inadvertently kill aptasia, which is a feat akin to landing on the moon or achieving a lasting world peace.

But seriously, I think if you use a bag of Instant Ocean (cheaper than a Mickey D's Happy Meal pseudo burger), a non taste test required hydrometer, put the tank by a window that gets some bright light, and stop performing water changes by drinking the water, you and your aptasia may live to see another year pass.

I'm sorry but I've swallowed litres of salt water in my life living at the coast and I've never got ill - I don't think I've been sick in 20 years, I can assure you nothing bad is going to happen if you taste salt water. Or maybe I'm just the luckiest person on earth. (doubt it)

The saltwater in your aquarium is a super concentrated stew of bacteria not nearly as diverse and dilute as the ocean (dilute being the ratio of 1 bacteria to others, not the total amount per volume of water).

Look up cases of vibrio vulnificus as it breeds in water 74* and up. Many people are getting it in areas where the water is unusually warm recently, and fish can carry the disease into the aquarium (its a very fast killer though and may not be vulnificus as there are many different types of vibrio.)

Look up cases of vibrio vulnificus as it breeds in water 74* and up. Many people are getting it in areas where the water is unusually warm recently, and fish can carry the disease into the aquarium (its a very fast killer though and may not be vulnificus as there are many different types of vibrio.)

And I thought all I had to worry about was the Brain Eating Amoebe.

The saltwater in your aquarium is a super concentrated stew of bacteria not nearly as diverse and dilute as the ocean (dilute being the ratio of 1 bacteria to others, not the total amount per volume of water).

I get that it's not exactly the same as drinking water from the ocean but I'm not convinced we (actually I know we don't) all need to now rush to the hospital if we dip our finger in our tank and taste it. People cut their hands and work in tanks daily - it's no big deal IMO. Our bodies are a lot stronger than many people want to believe. If our tanks were so toxic nobody would have them.

Archived