inTank Media Baskets

PGeek's 14G Biocube

Proudgeek

Picked up a couple of pink mushrooms. And I moved the favia so that it can get more light to see if it helps... But I think it's on its way out. It never recovered from the arctic experience from last month.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green banded goby. A very happy camper so far. Will take better photos over the long weekend after a water change.

IMG_20150114_212944.jpg

IMG_20150114_213045.jpg

So I picked up a new frag tonight and got a bonus hitchhiker. It seems to be a baby arm banded brittle star. Any thoughts? Will it eat my goby when it grows? I'll keep it if it won't.

IMG_20150116_220431.jpg

Itd only eat the goby if the goby was really sick or already dead. It will be fine!

I had a situation like this with my YCG. I believe that my clown was picking on him(especially during feeding time) and he would stay under one of my rocks a lot. He was probably getting weak from lack of eating. I have some brittle stars that started really small, but are really big now. I think they found the opportunity to grab the goby and when I got home from work, they were eating him. They do get big and are opportunistic. Mostly scavengers, but it the opportunity is there, I wouldn't put it past them to grab something that is weak. Just an opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

So last night I go to feed the reef and I see something deep within the tentacles of the frogspawn. Upon closer examination, it turns out it was a blue legged crab with no shell. I have no idea how it got there. The reef goes on...

Update: and no sight of the brittle star. Who knows what's going on with that!

• 6 months later...

Hello again. I've been found guilty of OTS.

The bad news: a handful of corals melted and have been battling some GHA for quite some time.

The good news: I've been on top of the tank during the last 2 weeks and things have turned around. 95% of the GHA is gone thanks to peroxide and a brush and got some new corals which are thriving now that I am dozing every 2 days to maintain calcium and alkalinity at par. I also found a yellow clown goby who is already enjoying the company of my TP clown pair and the green banded goby. He is super tiny but will eat anything I throw in there. Finally, I just received an intank media basket with purigen and chemi pure elite which will go in during the next water change.

More to come soon...

Thanks. Will post after tomorrow night's water change. Nothing to brag about but will be doing some work in the next several weeks to make it pop.

Very nice tank. Really digging your latest aquascape.

I have family in town and have been busy with that and work. I did the water change but no photos yet.

I went to feed the tank just now and my YCG did not come out :( he had been eating ok since I got him and I don't have anything big enough to eat him. If my green banded goby is still alive, so should he. Darn.

The search and rescue mission for the YCG is now a recovery mission :( He has disappeared. While feeding the tank tonight, I found three blue legs on the sand bed.... I either have a red legged hermit crab going to town or God knows what. Let's hope hurricane Erika doesn't set me back with the tank.

So today i came across a few red hermit crab legs on the sand bed. Something is grilling my clean up crew. Would it be the brittle star? I have one nassarius snail, a few astra snails, and the blue and legged hermits. Any thoughts?

No more victims to date since the last body parts were found :)

Here's the updated inventory and some TSs. Corals have been doing great since I began 2 part dosing.

Fish

2 TP clowns paired at home

1 green banded goby GBG

1 citron clown goby (traded in for GBG)

1 YCG (still MIA)

CUC

Red and blue legged hermit crabs

Astraea snails (endangered)

Nassarius snail

Corals

Zoas

Valentines day massacre

Lucky charms

Sunny d's

Candy apple

Punk rockers

Assorted no name Zoas

Others

Clavularia

Blue galaxea

Lobo

Blue Rainbow Acan

Dirty panties rainbow Acan

Orange ricordea Florida

Green ricordea Florida

Red mushrooms

Green mushroom

I had not glued frags to rock as I had been considering upgrading to a bigger tank and did not want to go mess stuff up in between not knowing what the new setup would look like. I just ordered a new IM fusion lagoon 25g so I will be very close depth wise on the 25g. I will begin moving corals to rock in preparation for the new tank. I will be going with a nano box duo so lighting will also be similar to the retro kit in the BC. I am returning the new media basket to Amazon as it is still NiB. Life is good.

Pardon the mobile photos. Don't have time right now to deal with dslrs and photo transfers...

IMG-20150903-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20150903-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20150903-WA0003.jpg

All livestock is doing well. Some zoas have 2-3 baby polyps so parameters and light intensity are good. The only exception is the lucky charm frag that is not opening as much. I will move to a lower light over the weekend to see how they do with less light.

In related news, I ordered a new gen nano box duo for the new tank... Very excited about that build. The tank and stand will ship out by the end of next week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived